SW CG Telco, 2010-03-10

10 Mar 2010


See also: IRC log


Ivan, Tom, Amit, Sandro, mhausenblas, ChrisW, mscottm, danbri
Ian, Manu


<TomB> Meeting: SWD CG

Admin, Last meeting

Ivan, it's here: http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/RIF_In_RDF

<ivan> Last meeting minutes

(but I expect to change the title to "Frame View of RIF Syntax"


ivan: Any problems with minutes?

<TomB> Previous: http://www.w3.org/2010/02/24-swcg-minutes.html

minutes approved

<mhausenblas> http://www.w3.org/2010/02/24-swcg-minutes.html

<ivan> Topic : next meeting

next meeting: march 24

AC Meeting is March 22-23.

Ivan: I may not be able to send agenda

regrets (will be at FOSE)

<TomB> TomB will be traveling and may have to send regrets

<mscottm> also regrets: AAAI Linked Data meeting

regrets for Scott and Harry

Semantic Sensor Network

<AmitSheth> Main page: http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Main_Page

round-the-table intros

amit: Some members of my team have been participating in these groups

(sorry, I'm not making enough sense of this to scribe. when/if it starts to make sense to me, I'll write things.)

amit: At W3C, we've done describing things (OWL), semantically enhanced services, queries, RDF as integration environment, WSDL services.... the idea now is to bridge with OGC.

<AmitSheth> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Main_Page

amit: Begin the formal process of defining ontologies which describe sensors and sensor networks.
... currently 38 people from 17 organizations, academic and industrial.

<AmitSheth> • http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Participants

<danbri> i think - i just joined

amit: ogc provides geospacial and sensor web experise.

AmitSheth: Three deliverables. 1. ontology for sensors and sensor observations
... 2. relate to OCG ontologies
... 3. Semantic annotations of resources for sensor data
... We've been reviewing previous work, on sensor networks, observation ontologies, sensor techniques
... Developing several use cases.

<AmitSheth> • http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Reference_Use_Cases

AmitSheth: 1- device discovery, 2- data discovery, 3- process provenance

<AmitSheth> • http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/SSN_terms

<danbri> (somewhat related http://www.w3.org/2010/Talks/0123-dsr-sofsem.pdf from Dave Raggett - 'Extending the Web into the Real World')

<AmitSheth> • http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Semantic_Sensor_Net_Ontology

<AmitSheth> • http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Semantic_Markup_Draft_Deliverable

AmitSheth: integrating into ogcswe documents

<AmitSheth> • http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/The_Report_in_Progress

<danbri> hmm /me wonders if an iphone is a sensor in this sense <- http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/

<AmitSheth> http://knoesis1.wright.edu/SSW_NEW_BETA/

AmitSheth: If you want to ask the nearest sensor location, ... ... you'll see that a node shows up. You'll see latest observation about that sensor. uses linked data geonames.

<AmitSheth> http://wiki.knoesis.org/index.php/SSW

<AmitSheth> http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base.cgi?stn=KDAY

<AmitSheth> http://sws.geonames.org/4515418/

<AmitSheth> http://wiki.knoesis.org/index.php/SSW_Datasets

mscottm: (describes some stuff, not understood by scribe)

AmitSheth: Please mail me that information, and I'll pass it on to group.

<AmitSheth> amit@knoesis.org

mscottm: It takes some effort to cast your work into the application that you're trying to interest. It's a difficulty with all XGs.

<AmitSheth> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Participants

mscottm: Try to engage with these groups. If they read your pages, they wont understand what you're doing.

AmitSheth: Fortunateiy, we have involvement from key folks, eg CSIRO.

ivan: Do you envisage that the XG will suggest further work?

AmitSheth: There is a value to completing the ontologies.
... If that feeling prevails, yes, we may want to take that work to Rec.

ivan: Thanks, AmitSheth! Looking forward to final report.

AmitSheth: I'll send you the one pager now, Ivan.

RDF Next Steps

Ivan: Please beat the bushes; submission deadline is early April.

<danbri> I will chase SWIG folk (they noticed already but a deadline reminder should help)

ivan: RDF Next Steps workshop will be at Stanford, on the weekend after SemTech.

<TomB> http://www.w3.org/2009/12/rdf-ws/ - Workshop 26-27 June, Stanford

mscottm: Who is going to SemTech?

ivan: I expect Me, Sandro, EricP, and Karen, from W3C Team.

chris: Christian and I are giving two different RIF presentations.

mhausenblas: I'm not expecting to go, but some DERI folks will.

mscottm: Aimed at industry?

ivan: Yes, it's not a scientific conference.
... So, yes it's relevant to HCLS.
... Next meeting in 2 weeks, probably.


<danbri> re AOB, only as i mentioned earlier - be good to have a CG homepage in the public wiki

<ivan> rrssagent, draft minutes

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2010/03/10 14:47:09 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found ScribeNick: Sandro
Inferring Scribes: Sandro
Default Present: Ivan, +1.937.775.aaaa, Tom, Amit, Sandro, mhausenblas, ChrisW, mscottm, danbri
Present: Ivan +1.937.775.aaaa Tom Amit Sandro mhausenblas ChrisW mscottm danbri
Regrets: Ian Manu
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-semweb-cg/2010Mar/0002.html
Got date from IRC log name: 10 Mar 2010
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2010/03/10-swcg-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]