HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

08 Mar 2010

See also: IRC log


Gregory_Rosmaita, Rich, Janina
David_Bolter, Steve_Faulkner, CMN


<trackbot> Date: 08 March 2010

<richardschwerdtfe> meeting: HTML Canvas Accessibility

<richardschwerdtfe> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2010JanMar/0276.html

<scribe> scribe: Gregory_Rosmaita

<scribe> scribenick: oedipus

News & Notes

JS: may not be able to stay whole hour
... main concern -- chaals needs to do chaals' work -- we can be accomodating, but need to keep ball rolling

<richardschwerdtfe> Proposals:

<richardschwerdtfe> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2010JanMar/0276.html

<richardschwerdtfe> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/Map4NotAdom

Image Map and ADom

<richardschwerdtfe> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2010JanMar/att-0255/canvaselement-issue74-feedback1.html

RS: don't think is a "versus" but how to pull together to include chaals

JS: yes

RS: in holding pattern; can try to pull together into single proposoal but going to take fair bit of work hadn't signed up to do

JS: chaals needs to be involved, not all on Rich

RS: can make recommendations; need to be pulled together; needs type of wording in ADom proposal for Imagemap proposal
... regular HTML maps to A11y API, not intuative what devs will do with CANVAS
... don't know how far will get with HTML WG to state need IMAP version 4.01 restored
... didn't make HTML WG call

JS: CANVAS did not come up during call

RS: in state of limbo with HTML WG

JS: pushed in HTML WG call some time ago and had clarified that any a11y issues should be assigned to TF -- until TF reports back to HTML WG, not an issue for HTML WG

<davidb> guys, my regrets, debugging something.

JS: need separation of trackers
... Rich, you did report out, received feedback, but until TF votes is a TF and not HTML WG issue
... should try to do before CSUN; if chaals' can't contribute before CSUN, move on ADom -- consensus is not unanimity (sp?)
... see if can schedule time with CMN; he needs to do background work on proposals
... can remind CMN that waiting for his input on several ARIA issues, as well

RS: clear to me based on Paul Cotton's comments, going back to HT ML 4.01 imagemap is NOT an option
... HTML5 has whole bunch of additional elements to add to imagemap -- drag'n'drop is only 1 -- may be others

Progress on Caret Tracking

RS: SteveF took RichS proposal and put on wiki
... have details and actual proposal




JS: hixie is not the gatekeeper
... is copyright claim in HTML WG docs

RS: propsal for caret tracking -- next steps?
... review

GJR: DBolter sent regrets

RS: will send DBolter and FrankO to review canvas accessibility proposal -- caret browsing is "low-hanging fruit" ready to be plucked
... part of issue 74 -- do we take this as separate proposal to HTML WG?

JS: take first to TF

RS: and then...

JS: does it stand on its own?

RS: stands on own, but to solve entire Issue-74 needs navtree and imagemap combined
... separate document created by hixie for 2D canvas api
... can defect be leveraged against canvas when forked from main HTML draft
... try to get canvas change proposal ready; submit to TF once Canvas Caucus approves change; ask TF if want to make part of issue-74

JS: can advance as partial fulfilment

RS: will get PCotton help too
... DavidB and JamesC and FrankO will be asked to review; if changes, submit to SteveF AND RichS
... SXSW coming up then 2 weeks until CSUN

JS: CSUN 22-27 March 2010

RS: will send out note to WG and to CMN to see if can attend next week or delegate someone to do work
... know my approach works ok -- others may like to use an imagemap, but is a BIG change in my mind, based on what PaulC indicated and i expected
... ability to include DOM elements in imagemap removed for reason -- probably sheer size

JS: would be good if when written up, stands on its own, so can be rejected on own if comes to that

RS: ok

JS: what we agreed here, if imagemap controversial keep in separate proposal so don't have to rip out in case CMN or opera can't finish imagemap proposal -- that should be advanced on its own as another approach but requested change to imagemap may be a non-starter with HTML WG

<scribe> meeting: HTML A11y TF Canvas SubGroup Teleconference

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2010/03/08 20:23:13 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: i/JS: may not/TOPIC: News & Notes
Succeeded: s/versus ADom/and ADom/
Found Scribe: Gregory_Rosmaita
Found ScribeNick: oedipus
Default Present: Gregory_Rosmaita, Rich, Janina
Present: Gregory_Rosmaita Rich Janina
Regrets: David_Bolter Steve_Faulkner CMN
Found Date: 08 Mar 2010
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2010/03/08-html-a11y-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]