HTML Weekly Teleconference

07 Jan 2010






<hugo> anne: yes, the qualified name of the WHATWG HTML5 will be ::dom (equivalent to ::org::w3c::dom)

<hugo> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2006/webapi/WebIDL/Overview.html?rev=1.204&content-type=text/html;%20charset=utf-8#idl-modules

<hugo> while we were at HTTP, there's a bug in cvsweb (at least in the version W3C is running) - removing "%20" from that URL results in wrong encoding

<MikeSmithX> trackbot, start meeting

<trackbot> Date: 07 January 2010

<anne> i cannot dial in today unfortunately

<anne> and also not for the next three weeks

<anne> while I'm at it...

<mjs> hi everyone

<cardona507> hi

<scribe> scribe: rubys

maciej: I have a bonus item that will be covered at the end of the agenda

ACTION-29 on Philippe Le Hégaret

plh: the psig met yesterday, and will be preparing a question for the AC
... some question about whether the MIT license was the most appropriate, some suggested the Apache license.
... new target, end of this month

action-29 due 28 Jan

<trackbot> ACTION-29 Follow up on the idea of a free-software-compatible license for a note on HTML authoring due date now 28 Jan

ACTION-127 on Maciej Stachowiak

<cardona507> what other wgs?

maciej: I've still not sent this out, move it out by two weeks

action-127 due 21 jan

<trackbot> ACTION-127 establish process for "official WG response" to other WG's RFC on LC drafts due date now 21 jan

<masinter> action-127?

<trackbot> ACTION-127 -- Maciej Stachowiak to establish process for "official WG response" to other WG's RFC on LC drafts -- due 2010-01-21 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/127

mjs: [describes action item]

ACTION-158 on Steve Faulkner


<trackbot> ACTION-158 -- Steve Faulkner to bring question to group: Do we want changing of element handler and role semantics via attributes to be deprecated? -- due 2009-12-31 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/158

mjs: I'm not happy with setting a new date with Steve present, will check with him offline

cynthia: the task force has discussed this

mjs: will check with steve and the TF offline

ACTION-161 on Maciej Stachowiak (on behalf of Leif Halvard Silli)

Roy to take over this action, will revisit next week

ACTION-162 on Michael(tm) Smith

mike: I think there already is a component

<masinter> action-162?

<trackbot> ACTION-162 -- Michael(tm) Smith to bug tracker for web site? -- due 2010-01-07 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/162

mjs: that's fine, if it is there, we can close the action

<plh> "HTML WG website"

mjs: component is html-wg-website

close action-162

<trackbot> ACTION-162 Bug tracker for web site? closed

ACTION-163 on Michael(tm) Smith

<masinter> closing action should have pointer to resolution in action item?

<masinter> Could someone add a note to Action-162 pointing to the reason why it was closed.... the location of the tracker for the web site isn't in the minutes.

mike: new wiki is setup, but the conversion has not been done
... We shouldn't put new content into it until the migration is complete

action-163 due 14 jan

<trackbot> ACTION-163 MediaWiki successor for current MoinMoin based wiki due date now 14 jan

<masinter> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/162?changelog doesn't even show who closed the issue or why it was closed

ACTION-166 on Paul Cotton

<paulc> see: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jan/0214.html

<masinter> yes, agree, move on

paulc: I think my emails and links are completely clear

close action-166

<trackbot> ACTION-166 Recheck status of issues 10 and 73 closed

ISSUE-4 (html-versioning)

mjs: larry has incorporated feedback from the chairs. Any questions or comments?

larry: the proposal changed substantially based on comments from the mailing list

ISSUE-30 (longdesc)

<Laura> http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ChangeProposals/longdesc

mjs: updated by charles based on feedback, and posted on the wiki

<masinter> there are more comments on the ISSUE-4 change proposal that continue to need discussion

mjs: any questions or comments?

larry: this also affects versioning based on elements and attributes that were on HTML4 vs what is in HTML5

mjs: we need to look at concrete issues

ISSUE-88 (content-language-multiple) due Jan 3

<masinter> issue-88?

<trackbot> ISSUE-88 -- Should meta/@content allow a list of languages instead of just a single language? -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/88

mjs: roy has volunteered, new due date 21 jan

ISSUE-66 (image-analysis) due Jan 16 (awaiting proposal from Matt May)

ISSUE-74 (canvas-accessibility) due Jan 16 (ACTION-133 on Richard Schwerdtfeger)

mjs: new date end of february

ISSUE-79 (meta-keywords) due Jan 16 (no volunteers)

Larry: I saw something in the IETF dealing with dublin core use of meta keywords

Julian: a specification that used to be in the IETF has moved to the dublin core group

larry: it might be useful to link that to the issue

mjs: send an email to the list

<Julian> http://dublincore.org/documents/dc-html/

ISSUE-81 (representation-vs-resource) due Jan 16 (no volunteers)

ISSUE-27 (rel-ownership) due Jan 21 (ACTION-160 on Paul C)

mjs: all that is needed is a writeup, and I feel that there is good progress

<paulc> Issue 27: See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jan/0215.html

mjs: any questions or comments?

larry: I wonder if we should have an action to talk to the dublin core group

mjs: volunteer?

larry: I'll send an email

action on larry to send an email to the dublin core group

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - on

action larry to send an email to the dublin core group

<trackbot> Created ACTION-169 - Send an email to the dublin core group [on Larry Masinter - due 2010-01-14].

julian: ...open issues on profile...


Review of Chair Calls for Consensus

<cardona507> yeah

ISSUE-59 (normative-language-reference) due Jan 7 (extended from Dec 17)

ISSUE-67 (html-parsing-dom) due Jan 7 (extended from Dec 17)

<masinter> wasn't clear about the commitment to publish these as working group product

the tag is ok with closing both of these tomorrow, with the request that Mike's document be published in a non-normative manner and with the addition of a schema

mjs: for a document to go to last call, we need a working group decision, and we can't do that without the actual document

larry: the wg is committed to html5, why can't it commit to Mike's document?

mjs: there is a charter commitment for html5

larry: I'm trying to figure out where the commitment lies

mjs: For us to make a decision, we need a resolution; I would rather do that with a concrete document rather than an hypothetical

larry: then the issue should remain open

mjs: the agreement is for a non-normative document
... we can take this offline. Feel free to object on the mailing

larry: do you understand the point?

mjs: I'm not sure I do, but lets take it offline

<Zakim> Julian, you wanted to say that Roy volunteered to work on a proposal for ISSUE-81 once other issues are resolved

New issues this week

mjs: none, but as the buglist is cleared, I expect some to surface; everybody please monitor the bugs you care about

HTML Accessibility Task Force

mike: we had a meeting just before this one, I'll post a link to the minutes

<krisk> 6 Month Testing Task Force Conf call dates posted -> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-testsuite/2010Jan/0000.html

mike: video did not make much progress over the holidays, but canvas should have something to report in a few weeks

<krisk> I expect that this month we will start to have tests submitted into the w3c CVS server.

Testing Task Force

mjs: bonus item: WG decision on Microdata will be published today

<Laura> Accessibility Task Force Minutes: http://www.w3.org/2010/01/07-html-a11y-minutes.html

<MikeSmithX> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Jan/0108.html <- minutes of a11y TF

larry: on the url bug, I expect that issue-56 will have to go forward

mjs: adjourned

<cardona507> thanks everyone

<Laura> bye

trackbot, publish minutes

<trackbot> Sorry, rubys, I don't understand 'trackbot, publish minutes'. Please refer to http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc for help

<krisk> bye

rrsagend, publish minutes

<masinter> the problems in issue-56 are editorial, not technical disagreement, so some help would be useful

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2010/01/07 17:38:46 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/will be issue-56/issue-56/
Found Scribe: rubys
Inferring ScribeNick: rubys

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: Apple Cynthia_Shelly Eliot_Graff J_Voracek Julian Julian_ Lachy Laura MichaelC Michael_Cooper Microsoft Mike MikeSmithX MikeSmithXX Philippe ROBOd Xfer aabb anne aroben cardona507 cynthia dsinger gavin_ hober html-wg hugo janina joined kliehm krisk kunter larry maciej masinter miketaylr mjs paul_irish paulc plh see shelleyp tametick tlr trackbot weinig
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 07 Jan 2010
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2010/01/07-html-wg-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]