24 Nov 2009

See also: IRC log


raphael, veronique, pierre-antoine, wonsuk, werner, tobias, daniel, florian, joakim, chris




<joakim> http://www.w3.org/2009/11/17-mediaann-minutes.html

<scribe> scribe: pchampin

approval of last minutes

minutes approved

last call of the requirements document

the last call of the Requirements and used case documents is due to december

Joakim: what is the status of the requirements document?

<daniel> I didn't see any critical issues around UC&Req. documents at the previous F2F, so I think we can go to the LC with the current version...

<veroniqueM> I think that there was someone proposing to add one requirement, but I cannot remember who

<veroniqueM> and I think that there was also a set of things to change, minor rewritings

<veroniqueM> who did the last review?

Wonsuk: an action item has been added at the Stockolm F2F

<veroniqueM> on whom?

<joakim> http://dev.w3.org/2008/video/mediaann/mediaont-req/mediaont-req.html

Joakim: Wonsuk has written a new version and everyone should review it

<joakim> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/track/actions/open

Werner: the result of action 185 (put in Santa Clara) should be included as a requirement

<joakim> Veronique, di you have time to work on actipn 185?

Werner: and today's discussion on the mailing list on the adressing of fragents should also be in the requirements

<wonsuk> +1 for Werner

Werner: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-annotation/2009Nov/0090.html

<veroniqueM> I did not ask PLING the piece of text, I had understood that they were supposed to provide me with it :)

pchampin: +1 for Werner

Joakim: do the editors agree to add those paragraphs?

<tobiasbue> +1 from my side as well for Werner

<wonsuk> +1

<veroniqueM> but I inserted a disclaimer about copyrights, also the piece of text suggested by Doug Sheppers, and I am currently updating the ontology document

<joakim> good

<veroniqueM> the new version should be ready and sent to the different editors by next Tuesday

<veroniqueM> it's quite a long piece of text :)

action joakim and everyone to review the Requirements document before 1/12

<trackbot> Created ACTION-192 - And everyone to review the Requirements document before 1/12 [on Joakim Söderberg - due 2009-12-01].

close ACTION-167

<trackbot> ACTION-167 Ask team contact about access to pages for invited experts (e.g. pierre-antoine cannot access the list of tpac attendees) closed

action on pchampin test TPAC attendees page to see if it is accessible to IE now

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - on

action pchampin to test TPAC attendees page to see if it is accessible to IE now

<trackbot> Created ACTION-193 - Test TPAC attendees page to see if it is accessible to IE now [on Pierre-Antoine Champin - due 2009-12-01].

<florian> W3C SeMuDaTe2009 paper: http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-539/paper_21.pdf

Joakim: is ACTION-174 (Véronique) ongoing?
... anyone has any update on ACTION-175 (Felix) ?
... We leave them open, then.

close ACTION-184 : no existing link

close ACTION-184

<trackbot> ACTION-184 Explain the link, difference or relation of our work with the Media Queries closed

close ACTION-188

<trackbot> ACTION-188 Put the "Error Handling" topic into the agenda of the next telecon closed

Tobias: about 189, on subproperty
... I started, but postponed it until the end of the discussion.

Daniel: ACTION-190 is still open


Werner: the starting point of the discussion was: should we define a set of subproperties we are suporting

cons: how do we decide which to include, which to exclude?
... why re-define what's already out there?

pros: provide an additional, finer grain, level of mapping
... allowing to filter some results

consensus: generic approach

we provide a placeholder for subproperties

but we don't define, for the moment, the values that this placeholder can take

<joakim> werner is speaking

<tobiasbue> @werner: thanks for the nice summary

it is a good compromise because it allows for future extensions

Joakim: the discussion started with the contributor property, right?

Werner: yes, but the problem also exists with title (e.g. album title)

or fragment (e.g. spatial, temporal, track)

but fragment subproperty could also be "my favorite scenes"

We could ask the API filter by a subproperty, like "creator/author"

Joakim: this could be tricky; take ID3, the labels are not plain text

you have to know how ID3 names "composer", .e.g.

Chris: I followed the mail discussion passively

tried different things in my implementations

I do not know the best solution yet

Chris: we can make the API to conform to the generic method

<raphael> trackbot, start telecon

<trackbot> Meeting: Media Annotations Working Group Teleconference

<trackbot> Date: 24 November 2009

the difficult part is, for the user, to know which property to use

pchampin: for the moment, we let the implementors put anythink they like in the subproperty placeholder

if anything at all

and let the users find out what subproperty they get

<joakim> Daniel takes over, I have to leave


Daniel: Chris raised a question on the mailing list

Chris: when implementing the API, I encountered a problem

how to we identify the metadata-source on which the API is drawing?

pchampin: ultimately, our API is the API of a metadata source

<wbailer> +1 for pa

in the simple case, the resource is its own metadata source

but the metadata source can come from somewhere else

However, our API assumes the simple case for the moment,

since we do not specify either the resource to be describe, or the source of metadata

Chris: what about the javascript API in the browser


we should add to the API method to manage metadata sources

pchampin: +1

Werner: when initializing the object, we can provide a set of metadata sources

pchampin: this is a simple way to go

allow to add or remove sources afterwards is better, but more complicated

???: Is this an implementation issue or an API issue?

Chris: from the browser perspective, we should address it

pchampin: depending on the use cases of the API in the browser, browser implementation could provide just the particular case of resource=metadata source

depends on the use cases

Chris: I send a mail to Silvia to ask her opinion about that

action Chris to send a mail to silvia about the implementation of the API in browsers and the need to address several metadata sources

<trackbot> Created ACTION-194 - Send a mail to silvia about the implementation of the API in browsers and the need to address several metadata sources [on Chris Poppe - due 2009-12-01].

<daniel> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-annotation/2009Nov/0036.html

Daniel: another discussion about the management of errors

pchampin: my latest proposal was to retun Null values when there is an error

and to provide an additional method get_diagnosis to get more information about the error, if any

this has been included in the latest Web IDL sent by Chris

Chris: if you want, I can update to API document accordingly

action chris to update the API document regarding error management

<trackbot> Created ACTION-195 - Update the API document regarding error management [on Chris Poppe - due 2009-12-01].

<raphael> [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009/11/24 14:01:06 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found Scribe: pchampin
Inferring ScribeNick: pchampin
Present: raphael veronique pierre-antoine wonsuk werner tobias daniel florian joakim chris
Regrets: Felix
Found Date: 24 Nov 2009
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2009/11/24-mediaann-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]