See also: IRC log
<trackbot> Date: 11 November 2009
<tinkster> very quiet.
<rreck> staring Zakim
<DKA> Scribe: Dan
<DKA> ScribeNick: DKA
<tinkster> Starring Zakim as Felicity de Montfort, wealthy heiress to a vast oil fortune... but with a dark secret in her past.
<hhalpin> PROPOSED: to approve SWXG WG Weekly -- 28st October 2009 as a true record
<hhalpin> RESOLVED: approved SWXG WG Weekly -- 28st October 2009 as a true record
<tinkster> There was definitely some stuff chatted here.
<Adam> think rigo did some of the rssagent stuff
<tinkster> My IRC client will have logged them somewhere.
<hhalpin> RESOLVED: to meet again Wed. November 18th
<hhalpin> scribenick: hhalpin
<Adam> was in shackles
Tragically, Henry Story was detained by immigration officials
<rreck> never to return
DKA: he's back in europe now but
had to miss Social Web Camp
... but nonetheless made a lot of progress last week.
<Adam> many thanks to DKA for organizing the Social Web Camp
DKA: good sessions on Social Web
... guy from Salmon Protocol
<danbri> (i joined 2 mins ago but was off irc)
DKA: talked about FOAF+SSL
... quite a technical crowd
... Linden Labs guy
... good international crowd, Fabien
... was very helpful.
<Adam> john panzer: http://www.abstractioneer.org/2009/10/salmon-protocol-introducing-salmon.html
<scribe> ACTION: DKA to send notes to camp to Social Web XG wiki and BarCamp.org [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/11/11-swxg-minutes.html#action01]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-105 - Send notes to camp to Social Web XG wiki and BarCamp.org [on Daniel Appelquist - due 2009-11-18].
DKA: On Tuesday, we had a very
productive XG meeting.
... TimBL participated most of the day on Tuesday
... focus on use-cases
... fleshed out provenance social networks and provenance
... managing relationships
... moving data
... we added user-stories
... pretty happy with work we have done
<danbri> (all sounds v fun, sorry i couldn't make the trip)
DKA: these stories differentiate
us quite a bit from other inputs
... didn't get into architecture that much
... did have some discussion around architecture
... self-proclaimed piece of software
... timbl would want us to think about it from a linked data perspective
... our use-cases determine social networks as we know them today
... but we can merge that with a linked data approach.
<scribe> ACTION: DKA to write-up output of XG meeting next Tuesday [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/11/11-swxg-minutes.html#action02]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-106 - Write-up output of XG meeting next Tuesday [on Daniel Appelquist - due 2009-11-18].
<Adam> can or should the output of the camp be put on the eventbrite site? or on our w3c wiki page?
both I think!
or at least linked.
<Adam> some back pages
DKA: All work done in wiki
... panel went well
... thanks to Adam, David, Fabien
... David clarify why OWF and PortableContacts happening outside W3C
... W3C lots of talk about opening up, extending XG process
... lots of work there
<Adam> tech plenary agenda with link to slides: http://www.w3.org/2009/11/TPAC/PlenaryAgenda
DKA: ian jacobs and other talked to david after panel.
<danbri> are david's slides around?
DKA: david ended on a slide of why Facebook should join W3C?
<Adam> i haven't seen them out there danbri
DKA: reminded me of why Google joined w3c
I believe Facebook and W3C are in talks now re joining.
scribe: Kevin Marks talking about OpenStack
<danbri> interesting question of whether to present it as a duty (for those that make millions from the Web); vs a biz opportunity
<danbri> (or some awkward combination of both)
<scribe> scribenick: DKA
http://www.w3.org/2009/11/TPAC/PlenaryAgenda - tech plenary agenda from last week - no link for David's slides yet - I will ping Ian or someone...
<scribe> Scribe: Dan
<scribe> ScribeNick: DKA
<hhalpin> next week open
<rreck> 1+ "finish" userstories
<hhalpin> for user-stories
Harry: We're getting to the point where we can start writing the final report.
<danbri> i'll try to take a look at final report structure, and with chasing up the widgets stuff ...
<rreck> i dont mind helping
<danbri> i think having co-chairs edit is fine for an xg
<danbri> so long as we push other things to companion docs
<hhalpin> ACTION: [CONTINUES] DKA to summarize OSLO and geoLocation conversation in order to spread knowledge of these efforts among W3C members. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/11/11-swxg-minutes.html#action03]
<hhalpin> ACTION: [CONTINUES] Mischa to describe/implement a report of terms and conditions, and how they change between now and the end of the XG. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/11/11-swxg-minutes.html#action04]
<rreck> at a lower level zakim sucks
<hhalpin> ACTION: [CONTINUES] Adam to write up Matt Lee's talk [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/11/11-swxg-minutes.html#action05]
<hhalpin> ACTION: [CONTINUES] mtuffied to put up wiki page about social networks deploying these technologies. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/11/11-swxg-minutes.html#action06]
<rreck> i just think zakim could be a little more forgiving
Harry: [Introducing Elias
Bizannes from Data-Portability.org]
... Can you introduce Data-Portability.org?
<hhalpin> move to agendum 25
<hhalpin> move to agendum 24
Elias: The long-term goal is putting the focus on policy, education.
<scribe> ScribeNick: hhalpin
<DKA> Scribe: Harry
Elias: dataportability.org has
evolved into a user based organization
... to standardize the language end-users see across social networks
... the form it would take
... would be specific relationships with companies
... that could then use EULA
... so that the companies take specific committments
... provided that, say, APIs are documented and in public
... we understand that companies are in different situations
... that this will be most effective way of getting data portability off the ground
<rreck> it was very hard to hear him
hhalpin: do you deal with privacy? when are these done?
Elias: We do care about
... but we aren't dealing with the specific technologies
DKA: we have been discussing the fact that people aren't reading licenses
Elias: so we're working on basic
... but it states what we think people are entitled to
<danbri> related work elsewhere: http://opensocialweb.org/2007/09/05/bill-of-rights/ (Authored by Joseph Smarr, Marc Canter, Robert Scoble, and Michael Arrington) "A Bill of Rights for Users of the Social Web"
Elias: basically helps user
understand the landscape of options
... we want it to be machine readable using RDF
danbri: any connection to jsmarr's work?
Elias: we will consider it it's good but we want something we can deploy more options, not just one
<MacTed> not quite everyone
did I just drop?
DKA, could you ask the question
"How Can W3C Help a group like DataPortability.org?"
I'll be back in a sec...
<DKA> Elias: Best think W3C could do is to give some honest feedback on the work...
<DKA> Elias: We want more smart people....
<rreck> good question
<DKA> DKA: What's the participation model?
<DKA> Elias: The way the project work is through task forces - work by consensus...
<DKA> Elias: Off of IIW we have 15 people who have shown interested in participation in some way.
<DKA> Elias: Best way to get involved is to contact me. We need to take these drafts into a more formal document..
We need precise URIs to review the document, or access to Google Docs of course.
<DKA> DKA: is there any costs?
<DKA> DKA: If I wanted to launch a SN tomorrow with the DP trustmark what do I need to do?
<DKA> Elias: We are a Non-profit. The governance model of the project is voluntary based with no membership fees. Fully transparent.
<DKA> Elias: We don't need money. We don't have an incentive to get a memebrship model with fees.
<DKA> Elias: In terms of using the logo and the EULA work there will be no cost...
<rreck> very cool
<scribe> scribenick: hhalpin
UNKNOWN_SPEAKER: is there a
... how can transfer it easily?
<DKA> DKA: Is there a compliance mechanism / GPL-like requirements on the use of the logo / EULA?
it's their incentive to do the truth
Elias: our branding is minimized
<DKA> Elias: We have worried about this - we don't want our brand to be misused.
Elias: we just want the company itself to do open disclosure
no real final questions from me.
DKA: do we have any specific networks that are signed up?
Elias: We've been hiding away,
not drawing attention to it.
... we're had some dialogue
... mostly informal
<danbri> is the eula url handy?
Elias: we have lots of
relationships with prominent vendors.
... IIW wants to support our work
... it will take a few years
happy to close call
<rreck> we can harry is talking but that is about it
sorry, phone went flaky
<rreck> i wish i could have heard a little better
<rreck> bye all
no problem with minutes!
<danbri> thanks all, bye too
no, it's not headset, it's a new ubuntu install :(
<Adam> lol ... should we take up a collection for that ;)
trackbot, end meeting