SVG Working Group Teleconference

21 Oct 2009


See also: IRC log


Doug_Schepers, ed, anthony




<trackbot> Date: 21 October 2009

<scribe> scribenick: shepazu

telcon times

shepazu: since we don't have heycam around for a while, and DST is nearly here, we should pick a new time that is better for the europeans

anthony: I'm fine with that, but would rather not do anything past midnight or before 5:30am

<scribe> ACTION: shepazu to send email about telcon time change, with link to planner [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/10/21-svg-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2684 - Send email about telcon time change, with link to planner [on Doug Schepers - due 2009-10-28].


<ed> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?month=11&day=30&year=2009&p1=239&p2=240&p3=188&p4=-1

shepazu: 2 meetings, or 1?

ed: I'd like to have a focused working time, not necessarily a telcon... helps me get stuff done

anthony: same here

shepazu: me too

short descriptions for SVG specifications

ed: Chris' descriptions seem fine to me... anything else needs doing?

shepazu: I don't think so for right now.... going forward, we should tailor our abstracts for this view
... have short one-sentence summary at the very beginning

anthony: right... we don't normally but much up there

shepazu: maybe something shorter and a bit less technical

Java bindings appendix

ed: saw cameron's work there
... I think what needs doing now is for someone to take this over, so we can publish soon
... we need to check that it matches what's in 1.1 already

shepazu: I'm not very good at java

ed: I'm not much better

anthony: me either

ed: I could give it a shot
... I could hack on the scripts

shepazu: you're pretty busy, though... is this the best use of your time?
... who did it before?

ed: no idea... but heycam did most of the work already
... wouldn't be able to get to it earlier than next week

anthony: when does it need to be done?

ed: well, it's a publication blocker

shepazu: could Vincent Hardy help us out?

ed: I could ask him

test suite scripts

anthony: I've checked these in
... sent an email out
... will work on that this week

<anthony> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2009OctDec/0012.html

anthony: I also recommitted Batik to the tools area as binary, rather than ascii
... hope it works for everyone now
... also added a new version of the test harness which uses svgweb for IE

<scribe> ACTION: ed to work on java bindings scripts [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/10/21-svg-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2685 - Work on java bindings scripts [on Erik Dahlström - due 2009-10-28].

canned filter effects

shepazu: antoine was asking about these
... blur, dropshadow, etc.
... I thought we were going to do this in Filters module, but I don't see it

ed: at the moment, there's only feDropShadow
... I've been thinking that it would be easier as CSS properties
... depending on how much control we want to give people, it could be easy or simple... want to keep it simple
... though doing element notation would be good too
... doing shorthand notation in CSS would be very similar to what IE does

shepazu: we can define the filters in terms of their element structure, but give CSS shorthands for those

ed: yup, that's possible
... I told Antoine that we are still collecting requirements, and that he should email the list
... I want to have nice examples in the primer
... it might be too early to have language in the spec

shepazu: I'm not sure of that

ed: question is what things are suitable for having as shorthands

shepazu: having functional notation with x, y, and fuzziness would suffice for dropshaow

ed: we should use similar syntax as as text-shadow, which allows you to do color and stacking as well

shepazu: so, what would be useful... dropshadow, blur, and maybe some color effects...
... sepia-tone, grayscale, etc., for photos
... just throw them in there, and let people give feedback on what they want

ed: just a matter of finding the time
... I enjoy experimenting with filters

publishing SVG 1.1 SE

shepazu: maybe we could meet next week one day to finish it off?
... what's left?

ed: Java bindings...

<ed> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2009OctDec/0005.html

ed: heycam summarized it

anthony: I'm happy to do a marathon

trackbot, end telcon

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: ed to work on java bindings scripts [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/10/21-svg-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: shepazu to send email about telcon time change, with link to planner [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/10/21-svg-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009/10/21 07:39:06 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/to/too/
Found ScribeNick: shepazu
Inferring Scribes: shepazu
Default Present: Doug_Schepers, ed, anthony
Present: Doug_Schepers ed anthony
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2009OctDec/0016.html
Found Date: 21 Oct 2009
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2009/10/21-svg-minutes.html
People with action items: ed shepazu

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]