Media Annotations Working Group Teleconference

13 Oct 2009

See also: IRC log


Chris, florian, wonsuk, wbailer, pchampin, Joakim, Jan, Felix
chris, pchampin




<trackbot> Date: 13 October 2009

<joakim> http://www.w3.org/2009/10/06-mediaann-minutes.html

<pchampin> scribe: chris

action items

<joakim> <http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/track/actions/open>

action-47 ongoing

action-124 ongoing

action 134, 135, and 149 to David are ongoing

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - 134,

action-154 ongoing

<pchampin> can you remind the URI of the current version of the API document?

<joakim> thanx

<pchampin> scribe: pchampin

action-157 ongoing

action-158 closed

<trackbot> ACTION-158 Review the API document closed

action-159 closed

<trackbot> ACTION-159 Send review of the API document closed

action-160 closed

<trackbot> ACTION-160 Daniel to send an email to the list to get more feedback and reviews for the API document closed

API document

werner: satisfied with the updates of the documents re. my comments
... some comments need further discussion in the long term, but do not concern the first draft
... can be discussed at F2F

joakim: are those remarks to be discussed collected in one e-mail?

werner: no, spread in different places, raised by different persons
... may be gathered in a wiki page

action werner and joakim to collect in a wiki page all issues to be discussed at the F2F

<trackbot> Created ACTION-161 - And joakim to collect in a wiki page all issues to be discussed at the F2F [on Werner Bailer - due 2009-10-20].

<wonsuk> http://dev.w3.org/2008/video/mediaann/mediaont-api-1.0/mediaont-api-1.0.html

<wonsuk> Diff between current API doc and old one.

<wonsuk> http://www.w3.org/2007/10/htmldiff?doc1=http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2008/video/mediaann/mediaont-api-1.0/mediaont-api-1.0.html%3Frev%3D1.23%26content-type%3Dtext/html;%2520charset%3Dutf-8%23tbd&doc2=http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2008/video/mediaann/mediaont-api-1.0/mediaont-api-1.0.html%3Frev%3D1.24%26content-type%3Dtext/html;%2520charset%3Dutf-8%23tbd

werner: suggest to move the whole Web IDL code towards the end of the document
... start with individual property descriptions

wonsuk: aggrees, will do that

<joakim> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-annotation/2009Oct/0037.html

pchampin: is the NoValue exception really necessary? null value?

chris: created the exception to be able to carry the *reason* for the absence of value (see attribute errorMessage)

pchampin: that makes sense, I retract my comment :)

<joakim> (my line was cut off)

pchampin: I think that the ontology document should stick to a high level conceptual level for the ranges of the properties
... and that the API document should propose representations for those concepts
... like the current Web IDL interfaces that we have
... those interfaces come out of nowhere, they should be introduced (as abstract concepts, in the ontology document)

<joakim> Felix do you have a comment?

<fsasaki> felix: propose to link ma:properties to methods from the api, and the other way round

<fsasaki> .. by "link" I mean referencing to each other

<fsasaki> felix: probably the same as pchampin said

pchampin: agree with that, and we should do the same for range Concepts

<wbailer> wiki page for open api issues is at http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/wiki/API_Open_Issues

joakim: can we publish the API document as a first public working draft
... after moving the WebIDL section to the appendix?

pchampin: +1

<wonsuk> +1

<florian> +1

<wbailer> +1

<joakim> Are we resolved to publish with the updated Werner

<joakim> mentioned Any objections?

RESOLUTION: publish the API document as a first public working draft

action joakim to contact W3C staff to put the API working draft on TR

<trackbot> Created ACTION-162 - Contact W3C staff to put the API working draft on TR [on Joakim Söderberg - due 2009-10-20].

Why not use DC elements?

joakim: this problem seems to be a recurring comment
... we should motivate this choice in the documents

<joakim> yes

werner: this may be because the ma:properties do not have a precise definition

<fsasaki> +1 to werner

werner: e.g. concerning datatypes

pchampin: I think there is (and will be) an overlap

werner: overlap yes, but our definitions will eventually be more precise than DC definitions

joakim: felix had another explaination

<fsasaki> felix: my explanation was mainly that we do not want to put one format into the center

<fsasaki> .. but have ma: properties only as a mediator between existing formats

<fsasaki> .. like in the metadata working group

action david to update some of the descriptions to make them more precise and highlight the difference with DC

<trackbot> Created ACTION-163 - Update some of the descriptions to make them more precise and highlight the difference with DC [on David Singer - due 2009-10-20].

<joakim> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/wiki/Improvements_/_Enhancement_for_a_revision_of_the_%22Ontology_for_Media_Resource_1.0%22_document

action joakim to update the wiki with the rationale for not reusing DC properties

<trackbot> Created ACTION-164 - Update the wiki with the rationale for not reusing DC properties [on Joakim Söderberg - due 2009-10-20].

<fsasaki> felix: sorry, only on IRC: putting one format into the center or not is also a question of marketing, and we want to be as neutral as possible with respect to existing "players" on the market

<fsasaki> felix: agree with pchampin

pchampin: in line with Felix's argument, I think only experience will tell if our interpretation of ma:properties will be equivalent or not with dc:properties
... semantics of properties is dynamic, it depends on the way they are used or implemented
... so defining our own is a precaution

coordination with Web Aps

action joakim to send a mail to the wap WG

<trackbot> Created ACTION-165 - Send a mail to the wap WG [on Joakim Söderberg - due 2009-10-20].

joakim: the API document states that this is a client API
... when did we decide that?

wonsuk: this API could be adapted to the server side
... in the perspective of Web applications, it is more appropriate to the client-side,
... built into browsers

joakim: feedback from XXX: can I get metadata of a MP3 file without downloading it?

pchampin: +1
... is there a mapping from Web IDL to server side APIs?
... (rest or soap)?

chris: only ecmascript or javascript, I think

pchampin: anyway, the object implementing our interface does not have to contain the media data
... but we have to think about this use case

joakim: all toy implementations to date are server side

<fsasaki> felix: my implementation can easily be ported to be a client side implementation

<fsasaki> .. no problem here :)

<fsasaki> .. rather an implementation detail

<fsasaki> .. not a totally different approach

pchampin: +1 felix

wonsuk: I'll revise the API document and send it to the mailing list
... apply werner's comment about moving the Web IDL section to the appendix

what is the next step of this document?

joakim: we will try to publish the current version, I'll contact the W3C staff
... next meeting: next tuesday, same time

<fsasaki> felix: joakim, somebody needs to do the pubrules check, work on the status section. Better ask Thierry to do that

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009/10/13 13:06:00 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/xxx/werner/
Succeeded: s/especially/e.g./
Found Scribe: chris
Inferring ScribeNick: chris
Found Scribe: pchampin
Inferring ScribeNick: pchampin
Scribes: chris, pchampin
ScribeNicks: chris, pchampin
Default Present: Chris, florian, Joakim, wonsuk, wbailer, +47.24.4.aaaa, pchampin, Felix, +1.617.588.aabb
Present: Chris florian wonsuk wbailer pchampin Joakim Jan Felix
Regrets: tobias
Found Date: 13 Oct 2009
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2009/10/13-mediaann-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]