See also: IRC log
aaaa is Daniel Bennett
note Daniel is in noisy coffee house. I will stay on mute and type. (chance I may need to leave at 10am)
remind Joe to go on IRC
and that way he can send links
<sandro> Hey +1-859-408 person -- you were causing LOUD static on the line.
i miss jose's hold music
Daniel says hi to Kevin
651 is daniel
I did at beginning
Sandro: asking for phone
... reading out roll
<johnlsheridan> unmute me
John: first thing on the agenda
is the 14th of Nov. any scribe volunteers?
... picks himself... graciously
... that is the 14th of Oct
<trackbot> ACTION-1 -- Ari Schwartz to open a new section in the wiki for use cases for his TF -- due 2008-07-02 -- CLOSED
John: review of open items. please post link to IRC
John: Action 3 and 14 are old. 70 has moved on, first with Keven.
Kevin: original white paper, has been met/superceded by Data.gov response
<sandro> close action-70
<trackbot> ACTION-70 draft white paper closed
Kevin: we have moved on from original
John: close 70
... leave 14 open and check on Action 3
Kevin: leave Action 3 open. still looking into partnership/etc
John: Action 71 was Jose. There is a working draft on HTML5 and RDFa?
Sandro: Doesn't know
Daniel: is working on it
<sandro> close action-84
<trackbot> ACTION-84 Support and reach out to other AC reps to encourage support of eGov Charter closed
Daniel: talked with Kevin and will have more next meeting
John: closing 84
... Action 89 is still on
... question about attending by Kevin suggested by Sharron
Kevin: about attending TPAC
so where does it stand?
Kevin: still on me
John: Action 92. reach out to agencies
Kevin: yes, leave it open
John: Action 93 on Sandro
Sandro: no responses so close Action 93
John: leave it open and now push it as item for others to do
<sandro> revise action as: try to get people to use it...
John: let's move on to Charter review
Sandro: can say that it looks good but no official
Kevin: has heard good
... possibility of getting additional assistance
Sandro: we got healthy 15 or so comments on Charter
John: next steps. internal review in w3c
Sandro: next week is now set for review
John: any questions on the charter review?
John: lets move on to next agenda. where do we go on from here.
John: in particular within scope
... what would make the participants happy doing?
Joe: throws something out. at face to face... we talked about best practices
Daniel: call for use cases. compiling them. analysis of uses cases. value add on what gov does.
Joe: about cataloging the
... what is the data that govs actually have and what can be done
... those are the two things that interest me.
John: most efforts into government data piece. esp. linked data
Daniel: can we go round robin asking folks on the call?
so cant talk
<AdamHarvey> Sorry I'm late!
I am looking to see finding use cases and comparing to best practices
and evaluating according to w3c standards
<sandro> Kevin: EO group includes linked data, but also all the Web 1.0 stuff, including accessibility, etc.
and also cataloging use cases with analysis/annotation
(reminder on mute)
Brand: how we can get more
involved in data.gov
... especially in approaching Vivek Kundra
... data.gov effort looking to RDFa
Kevin: reached out and the feedback was that a govt only group. only employees. I stated we are ready to help here at W3C egov.
<johnlsheridan> doesn't the memo say gov is participative?
Brand: still closed
... hoping this group can be part. data.gov looks like RDFa positive.
<josema> I believe George referred to this doc with his comments: http://george.thomas.name/omb/HHS_Comments_Data.gov_Conops.doc
<AdamHarvey> Thanks, Jose...
<sandro> (um, who is speaking?)
George: speaking to
... stated the URL for his comments
(who is speaking? please announce yourself before speaking. thanks)
<johnlsheridan> currently it is brand
Brand: Ontology and data models
for government. Brand is leading part of the effort.
... mentions the conferences next week
<AdamHarvey> Speak up Daniel...
<sandro> Daniel: I'll be speaking at the XBRL+W3C conference next week. If anyone is interested go to ....
yes, thanks sandro
and Diane Mueller
Kevin: several folks will be there
<josema> john, if you are speaking, you are muted!
he is on mute again
take him off
<johnlsheridan> can you hear me
<johnlsheridan> I'll dial back in
it says he is muted
John: asking around about participants interest.
<tb> Thomas bandholtz is calling from Germany
Adam: already on ETF. wants to help translate techspeak especially for local govts
John: this is consistent with our efforts
Jose: working on a couple of
projects. spending most of time on projects that open gov data
... we still need to put out W3Cstandards. dealing with proprietary formats.
... it is complicating the point of open gov data
Joe: are you chartered to look at cataloging gov looking at standards.
Kevin: a lot of agencies dealing
with legacy data.
... how can we aid agencies with this problem set.
we should address those that need 100% solutions for data to be useful vs. those that can just move on with new data.
missed. who is speaking
<josema> we are building a number of transformers, but it's hard and most are adhoc due to how legacy data was archived :(
Brian: Local govt need esp. help on this. this is my interest with outreach to locals.
John: we have similar issue. my experience does not hire those folks
Brian: no money for this work
Joe: talking about just having raw data. and then allow others to overlay documentation.
Brian: lets at least catalog.
how about open sourcing the conversion of gov docs. like recaptcha
Joe: it is possible to do PDF things like include embedded xml and named locations.
Daniel: that is not standard practice and does not apply to legacy docs. and adobe looking to Mars Project.
Brian: resources lack and IT lack
is holding folks back.
... human speak is better than geek speak at getting gov folks to see importance of good data practices
John: is there anyone more to speak?
Thomas: Inspire project
(missed part due to phone and hard to hear)
John: i am on the Inspire
... looking to this for implementation.
<sandro> http://inspire.jrc.ec.europa.eu/ Inspire, Spacial Data Infrastructure
<johnlsheridan> it's all very top down
Thomas: project of mashups with
Google maps ...
... we are publishing more
... from outside of Inspire. see how it can be linked up.
John: some of the problems and
issues related to the law versus what is possible.
... last call for participants.
Todd: has been lurking this
... interested in web standards.
Sandro: personal interest. help provide with tech stuff.
John: on issue of linked data.. soft launch of data.gov like service
<sandro> johnlsheridan: We're doing the VERY SOFT launch of the UK equiv of data.gov today. Preview access on request.
John: ask for log in to see
... if you go to link then go to google group
Vagner: we are developing new stuff for open gov.
can you post links Vagner?
<johnlsheridan> People are already building stuff around our legislation API, eg: http://github.com/robmckinnon/legislation-uk
<johnlsheridan> the UK legislation API is at www.legislation.gov.uk - and we're surfacing some RDF too, with more to come.
<Vagner> link to an XML open data project in Brazil: http://projeto.lexml.gov.br/documentacao/resumo-em-ingles
<AdamHarvey> I just got pulled into a meeting,... have to leave.
Joe: discussing a method of
providing links to gov docs including sub/anchored links
... need to help govt w/ overlay
Daniel says that having open data, allows overlays like legislink independent of gov. does not keep gov from doing anything.
is a value add that can help influence gov. as opposed to current practice of bad data that private firms fix/normalize and then provide expensive access
<josema> [scribe disconnected]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135 of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20 Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/ Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00) Succeeded: s/speaker/Brian/ Succeeded: s/Wagner/Vagner/ Succeeded: s/Wagner/Vagner/ No ScribeNick specified. Guessing ScribeNick: Daniel_Bennett Inferring Scribes: Daniel_Bennett WARNING: No "Present: ... " found! Possibly Present: Adam AdamHarvey Brand Brian Brian_Gryth Daniel Daniel_Bennett George George_Thomas Joe Joe_Carmel John Jose P30 P35 Thomas Thomas_Bandholtz Todd Todd_Vincent Vagner aaaa aabb aacc aadd aaee aaff aagg aahh aaii aajj being disconnected egov hughb is joec johnlsheridan joined josema kevin sandro tb trackbot You can indicate people for the Present list like this: <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary <dbooth> Present+ amy Regrets: rachel WARNING: No meeting title found! You should specify the meeting title like this: <dbooth> Meeting: Weekly Baking Club Meeting WARNING: No meeting chair found! You should specify the meeting chair like this: <dbooth> Chair: dbooth Got date from IRC log name: 30 Sep 2009 Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2009/09/30-egov-minutes.html People with action items: WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines. You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]