SSN XG 01-September-2009

01 Sep 2009

See also: IRC log


Holger, rgarcia, mscottm, Payam, michael, Arthur, krp, +1.937.257.aabb, +1.202.408.aacc, kerry, victor, Prateek, +1.650.450.aadd
Manfred, Cory, Simon




<Luis_Bermudez> there is a terrible background noice

<AmitS> +Prateek -> Amit Sheth

<Holger> ScribeNick: rgarcia

<Holger> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Key_Sensor_Concepts

Key Sensor Concepts

<michael> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Key_Sensor_Concepts

Michael: The page describes the main concepts of the ontology

<AmitS> This is noce-- where would you model error conditions?

<AmitS> nice

Michael: and how they link to each other

Luis: Sensors may be losing battery

Michael: We can model this in the Capabilities "box"

<Luis_Bermudez> +q

<kerry> +q

<Payam> what about the measurement time?

<michael> +q

Luis: In non-normal functioning conditions the measurement of the sensor can be innacurate

<Payam> +q

<AmitS> one tentative view-- OWL-DL may not be sufficient, we may have to recognize the need for rules in modeling sensors- Amit

<laurent_csiro> UncertML?

<Payam> -q

<Payam> +q

Michael: Observations still need to be incorporated in the ontology

<AmitS> +q

<kerry> butthe time of operation of a sensor might be part of a capabilitydescription

<Payam> +q

Amit: There is the need to model the time when the sensor is operational. Where do we model it?

<kerry> perhaps time is part of the "condition" of the capability

Amit: And how?

<Danh_DERI> +q

<krp> Though that condition is on the result model isn't it? Would the operational time be an "operational restriction" in Physical Properties?

Michael: existing ontologies may already include the concepts needed to model time, but we may want to model some things differently

Payam: some things are "global" and must be synchronised across the ontology (e.g., timezones), where will be this modelled?

Danh: ow can we model a sensor that is moving and whose movement is detected by other sensors?

<AmitS> As with time, location will need to be model separately

<Payam> +q

<Luis_Bermudez> +q

<Arthur> +q

<laurent_csiro> Basic time zone stuff described in http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-time/ but limited applicability because there is no logic between the choice of daylight saving times.

Luis: we have already in SensorML the location of the observation and the device separately

<kerry> +q

<michael> yes and how to express them in OWL

Luis: it is better not to re-discuss but to decide the parts of the ontology to be further developed

<AmitS> +q

Arthur: regarding location, a concept "Motion" could represent this

<Luis_Bermudez> +q

<Arthur> concept would be actuator, and one possible actuator cold be motion.

<michael> +q

Amit: Types of sensors and the grounding of particular sensor are different

Michael: With the current ontology both things can be represented (with the TBox and ABox)

Luis: Do not reinvent the wheel for mobile sensors. We can reuse existing approaches (OGF) and model them in RDF

<michael> +q


F2F agenda

<Holger> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/F2f09

<kerry> +q

<michael> more time for discussions sounds good

<michael> demo could be over lunch?

Kerry: Avoid the keynote speaker

<laurent_csiro> +q

Some interesting demos could be one regarding markup and another regarding using multiple ontologies

<kerry> +1

Proposal to split demos in 2 sessions, one for each main topic (Ontology + Annotation)

Laurent: Insert in the agenda the discussion of where the group is and where we will go

<kerry> I could not hear laurent well -- if it was discuss where we go next +1

<laurent_csiro> It was know where we are the beginning and then get time for people working on the same deliverable to coordinate their efforts towards the deliverables

<kerry> +q


<laurent_csiro> +q

Holger: Kerry will chair next meeting

<scribe> ACTION: Everyone to take a look at the use cases (discuss, add, etc.) for next meeting [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/01-ssn-minutes.html#action01]

<laurent_csiro> I've worked as the Australian Office Manager on a conference for web developers Web Directions South 600+ attendees Kerry will do a presentation on the SSN-XG

<michael> bye

<laurent_csiro> -

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Everyone to take a look at the use cases (discuss, add, etc.) for next meeting [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/01-ssn-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009/09/01 14:08:37 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found ScribeNick: rgarcia
Inferring Scribes: rgarcia

WARNING: Dash separator lines found.  If you intended them to mark
the start of a new topic, you need the -dashTopics option.
For example:
        <Philippe> ---
        <Philippe> Review of Action Items

Default Present: Holger, rgarcia, mscottm, Payam, michael, Arthur, krp, +1.937.257.aabb, +1.202.408.aacc, kerry, victor, Prateek, +1.650.450.aadd
Present: Holger rgarcia mscottm Payam michael Arthur krp +1.937.257.aabb +1.202.408.aacc kerry victor Prateek +1.650.450.aadd
Regrets: Manfred Cory Simon
Got date from IRC log name: 01 Sep 2009
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2009/09/01-ssn-minutes.html
People with action items: everyone

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]