HTML Weekly Teleconference

27 Aug 2009







<mjs> rubys: you're already in it, aren't you?

<gavin_> but he never got a welcome!

<rubys> I went back and checked... December and Jan.

<rubys> Perhaps I'll get a thanks when I leave. :-)

<mjs> weren't you a member some time before you became Chair?

<mjs> rubys: btw - I'm going to reply to Dick and suggest that ISSUE-9 should track SYMM's interest in media synchronization, that the next step is a concrete proposal, and that TPAC is probably too late to start on a proposal

<mjs> rubys: does that all sound reasonable to you?

<rubys> mjs: weren't you a member before you were a chair?

<rubys> TPAC does seem a bit late...

<mjs> rubys: I didn't get a welcome either, just congratulations

<rubys> (P.S. you don't need to check with me on things like this) (I never got a congrats)

<mjs> I know I don't *need* to check with you, but I'd rather be a little extra cautious until you, Paul and I have settled into a good model for working together

<rubys> fair enough

<Hixie> rubys: i thought i sent a similar mail when you were appointed chair

<mjs> heycam`: thanks!

<MikeSmith> http://radar.oreilly.com/2009/08/why-is-html-suddenly-interesti.html

<pimpbot> Title: Why is HTML Suddenly Interesting? - O'Reilly Radar (at radar.oreilly.com)

<pimpbot> bugmail: [Bug 7428] Safari 4 preloads media and FF 3.5 doesn't in <audio> tag; perhaps HTML5 sections are unclear or need a 'preloading' attribute added. <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2009Aug/0324.html>

<pimpbot> bugmail: "[Bug 7428] Safari 4 preloads media and FF 3.5 doesn't in <audio> tag; perhaps HTML5 sections are unclear or need a 'preloading' attribute added." (2 messages in thread) <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2009Aug/0325.html>

<pimpbot> bugmail: [Bug 7437] The link for "mutable" points to textareas - no mention made of radio, button, input, password types <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2009Aug/0327.html> 4** [Bug 7437] New: The link for "mutable" points to textareas - no mention made of radio, button, input, password types <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2009Aug/0326.html>

<pimpbot> bugmail: [Bug 7438] refine Status section to clarify difference between editor's bug list and the working-group issue list <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2009Aug/0329.html> 4** [Bug 7438] New: refine Status section to clarify difference between editor's bug list and the working-group issue list <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2009Aug/0328.html>

<Philip> gsnedders|work: "Well, Philip's in Spain, so that may take a while" - no I wasn't

<Philip> You're not a very good stalker if you don't realise when I've gone home again

<Philip> (Any lack of responsiveness over the past few days was due to illness instead)

<Philip> (Any continued lack of responsiveness is due to playing Monkey Island)

<anne> Philip, still around? can you do http://philip.html5.org/data/charsets.html again on your larger dataset?

<pimpbot> Title: Charsets (at philip.html5.org)

<anne> Philip, also, that page does not appear to be linked from anywhere

<anne> -_-

<jgraham> http://xkcd.com/386/

<pimpbot> Title: xkcd - A Webcomic - Duty Calls (at xkcd.com)

<jgraham> (and it's "someone is wrong on the internet")

<jgraham> I'll leave my pedant tag open for now

<Philip> anne: I might be able to if you remind me some time next week

heartbeat: http://www.w3.org/News/2009#item149

<pimpbot> Title: Archive of W3C News in 2009 (at www.w3.org)

<pimpbot> bugmail: [Bug 7441] New: The specification only ever uses the prefix:localName convention for some attributes in the XML namespace and whenever it does it is pretty explicit about it. xml:id is never mentioned outside this section and the prefixes svg and html are never used. <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2009Aug/0332.html> 4** [Bug 7440] New: The markup of the example does not use <th> for Legs and Tails like the actual tab

<kliehm> issue-48?

<kliehm> Issue-48?

<trackbot> ISSUE-48 -- Should user-agents generate quotes for the q element -- RAISED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/48

<trackbot> ISSUE-48 -- Should user-agents generate quotes for the q element -- RAISED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/48

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-48 - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

kliehm, going to do that daily? :)

<jgraham> The issue status "RAISED" makes me think of zombies

<mjs> hi everyone

<hsivonen> mjs: hi and congratulations for the chairship

<mjs> hsivonen: thanks!

<jgraham> +1

+1 from me too; forgot about it yesterday

<jgraham> Or I could be polite and congratulate you in a less annoying way ;)

<mjs> it's the thought that counts - I guess?

<jgraham> mjs: Seriusly, congratulations

<mjs> jgraham: thank you

<Dashiva> Yeah, where are all the formal objections?

<pimpbot> bugmail: [Bug 7442] New: Java applets are never conforming, and sometimes don't work <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2009Aug/0333.html>

<mjs> gsnedders|work: that would indeed be more in the spirit of the Working Group

<hsivonen> gsnedders|work: Chairs aren't a WG Decision

<Dashiva> I was expecting something from lastweek, at least

<jgraham> hsivonen: You only need a very loose understanding of Process to start bandying about FOs in the HTMLWG

<jgraham> Dashiva: Maybe mjs _is_ mrlastweek

<jgraham> When he eats cheese before bedtime

<mjs> If I really was MLW I'd surely have a good post flaming myself up

<Dashiva> mjs: or maybe that's just what you want us to think

<Dashiva> Clever!

<pimpbot> bugmail: [Bug 7442] Java applets are never conforming, and sometimes don't work <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2009Aug/0334.html>

<DanC> now try, rubys

kliehm, given the procedure for other issues it would make more sense to file bugs for your issues or file new issues

kliehm, the second comment is not even about the q element anymore and whether quotes should be rendered for the q element is pretty clear by now

<MikeSmith> trackbot, start meeting

<trackbot> Date: 27 August 2009

<pimpbot> Title: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-08-27 *PLEASE-READ* from Sam Ruby on 2009-08-26 (public-html-wg-announce@w3.org from July to September 2009) (at lists.w3.org)

<paulc> Paulc just joined the call

<scribe> scribe: annevk

<DanC> silly zakim...

<MikeSmith> scribenick: annevk

<DanC> phpht

MikeSmith, that's not needed

Open Items

Issue-4/Action-108 html-versioning / Larry Masinter

LM: I'm not sure that it's necessary to keep the issue open
... I don't know if there's a schedule for completing this work
... I don't have objections to closing if that's what you want to do

DC: I want us to write down the resolution

SR: My understanding is that there is not a proposal before Last Call

DC: But what do we decide?
... About legacy-compat and the DOCTYPE?

SR: Are you suggesting something else?

DC: It's not the whole document, is it?
... Are we documenting the decision?

SR: Lets close ACTION-108 and discuss ISSUE-4 on the mailing list
... I will post about it and I think LM will too

Issue-10/Action-135 video-smil / Mike Smith


SR: what is the next action?

MS: I think we can close ACTION-135 and am not sure what's next
... we got a reply off-list

<DanC> I expect something like "let's close html-versioning as discussed in the draft, section XYZ: <!doctype HTML> and <!doctype HTML system "about:legacy-compat"> "

MS: not sure whether it was on or off-list, but we did get a reply

SR: It does not appear to be on list
... it does not look like ISSUE-10 is ready to be closed
... I would like to demote it to raised
... objections?

DC: can you share the contents of the email?

SR: no concrete suggestions I believe; he had to think about it more

MS: he agreed that the initial issue on the attribute names was ok because of the removal and name changes
... he's still interested in the video synchronization issue
... I think we can probably close ISSUE-10

SR: I think he said was not happy with closing it

MS: ok

Issue-13/Action-86 handling-http-401-status / Julian Reschke

JR: I followed up with J Kemp and T Broyer did as well and I don't think we saw a response
... I'd suggest to try to close it again and see if he objects again

SR: ok; I'm quite ok with that

<MikeSmith> issue-13?

<trackbot> ISSUE-13 -- Handling HTTP status 401 responses / User Agent Authentication Forms -- RAISED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/13

PaulC: are you talking about closing ISSUE-13 or the action?

JR: yes

Issue-74/Action-132 canvas-accessibility / Steve Faulkner

SF: I'm on the call

<DanC> (was that a decision to close issue 13? if so, the scribe doesn't seem to have gotten it)

SR: perhaps we can move the target?

MC: we have a couple of issues that we need to address

<rubys> decision was to mark issue 13 for closure on 2009-09-03 to see if that flushes out any objections

MC: e.g. rich editable text, clipboard content

<DanC> ok, thanks, rubys

MC: people are making prototypes

RS: we need another couple of weeks

SR: [...] anything else?

<DanC> Sam: so you're not yet comfortable pulling the date into Sep, though that might happen?

Cynthia: we're making good progress

<DanC> Rich: right


<DanC> (ACTION-132 on Steve Faulkner is done to my satisfaction)

SR: so we can close ACTION-132?


<masinter> action-132?

<trackbot> ACTION-132 -- Steve Faulkner to report on canvas accessibility -- due 2009-08-28 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/132

Issue-35/Action-138 aria-processing / Steve Faulkner

<DanC> close action-132

<trackbot> ACTION-132 Report on canvas accessibility closed

SR: the specific action was about a matrix

SF: inspirated by the new spec text but also work on the other one independently
... for something that the PFWG considers appropriate
... not by next week

CS: the accessibility task force works on something very similar

RS: getting a lot of questions how this actually maps to the platform
... to do this well we need a full mapping of all the features

CS: that is what the task force is working on
... we do not have the new features of HTML5 yet, but we're getting there

SR: move the target to the tenth?

<DanC> (gee... we're up to 22 ports in use; our reservation went up from 15 to 20, but maybe that's not enough.)

SF: it sounds that if I'm going to be working with the Task Force it's best to move it back a week

<DanC> it=ACTION-138 on Steve Faulkner?

CS: we have a weekly accessibility call on this

<DanC> action-138 due 10 Sep

<trackbot> ACTION-138 Produce a matrix based on Henri's work due date now 10 Sep

Issue-9 video-synchronization

SR: what specific action are you taking?

CS: video synchronization
... follow up with Shawn to see if he can work on it

DS: It was not clear to me what the issue is

<DanC> (odd... I thought we had an issue on video captioning, though I don't see one.)

DS: things are intertwingled
... I think working on accessibility of the media elements will resolve these issues

CS: It's not my area of expertise so I don't know if this is the same issue

<DanC> +1 keep caption stuff separate

DS: the issue came up initially about syncing two videos to play them side-by-side
... or having captions in sync with the video

RS: is someone looking for alternatives for videos?
... e.g. multiple language tracks?

<DanC> the "you don't; it's beyond the requirements we're trying to meet" sounds like a proposal to put to the group

DS: JF and I have been working on that and are organizing a workshop on this topic

<Laura> Multimedia Accessibility <Audio> <Video>

<Laura> http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/MultimediaAccessibilty

DS: we want to host the workshop before TPAC

CS: I'm trying to convince Shawn to go to that

<Laura> Request for PFWG WAI review of multimedia accessibility requirements <audio> <video>

<Laura> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Sep/0421.html

DS: it's not free-for-all

<DanC> (I suppose http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/0694.html is pretty close to "you don't")

<dsinger> sean hayes

DS: we want people with expertise and experience to make some progress

s/Shawn/Sean Hayes/s

<dsinger> Microsoft accessibility group, UK-based

DS: for this particular issue is that we should defer it to a future version of HTML
... the synchronization of multiple media elements

<DanC> +1 postpone to a future version for ISSUE-9: video-synchronization

DS: accessibility aids should be addressed as an accessibility question
... how we synchronize transcripts and videos
... what do we do without cue ranges

<DanC> trackbot has an IRC interface for making new issues: ISSUE: caption support for <video>

<Laura> Followup Re: Request for PFWG WAI review of multimedia accessibility requirements <audio> <video>

<Laura> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2009May/0008.html

<rubys> action cynthia to follow up with sean hayes due next week

<trackbot> Created ACTION-140 - Follow up with sean hayes due next week [on Cynthia Shelly - due 2009-09-03].

CS: captioning should be done for this version, but I'm not sure which issue that is

Issue-11 default-encoding / Shawn Medero

<DanC> action-140: on captioning and <video>

<trackbot> ACTION-140 Follow up with sean hayes due next week notes added

<DanC> shawn medero, aka smedero

SM: modified text was proposed in response to the bugs MS filed and that's kind of dangling right now

SR: it's quite ok to close the issue if the bugs are opened

SM: fine with me
... i just raised the issue on behalf of the i18n WG

<DanC> (is Addison on the cc list for the bug or whatever? does Adison know how to use bugzilla?)

SM: if the text is accepted they're ok with closing the issue

<smedero> DanC, yes

smedero, poitners to the bugs?

<smedero> http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=7380

<rubys> http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=7380

<rubys> http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=7381

<smedero> http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=7381

<rubys> Issue-37 html-svg-mathml / Adrian Bateman

DanC, so the answer to your question is no

<mjs> sorry I'm late, traffic was disastrous

<smedero> Addison's notes on those two bugs are here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/1048.html

<mjs> the telecon is full

AB: from our perspective we're looking at this from ISSUE-41
... we do not really need two issues open for this we think

<mjs> ok

AB: we don't have a particular point of view either way on whether SVG 1.2 should be included

SR: the current status is that ISSUE-37 is getting a number of bugs
... I don't think there was anyone with objections to that, but I need to check

<masinter> issue-37?

<trackbot> ISSUE-37 -- Integration of SVG and MathML into text/html -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/37

SR: not sure if there's particular need for both ISSUE-37 and ISSUE-41 to be open

<rubys> ISSUE-48: UA-q-quotes / Shawn Medero ISSUE-60: html5-xhtml-namespace / Shawn Medero ISSUE-66: image analysis heuristics / Matthew May

SR: at the very least tell Mark that ISSUE-XXX is under review

<smedero> On ISSUE-48 and ISSUE-60 - I opened those on behalf of other folks and don't have anything to add.

SR: we have three issues proposed for closure

[scribe missed the numbers -- check email archives]

<DanC> (is this matt's comment on 48? http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/1126.html )

<kliehm> I sent an email to the list re Issue-48. We can close the issue and open two new bugs

<richardschwerdtfe> I agree with Matt May's comments

MM: the issue that was originally raised is that XXX should be stricken and I stick to that

<Laura> objection to closing 66: image analysis heuristics

MM: the text doesn't add anything to the document

<Laura> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/1116.html

MM: I don't know what the next step is
... somebody needs to either... I mean... remove the sentence or say why they're not going to

<Laura> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/1126.html

MM: it seems to have hung[?] out there

SR: I don't see a bug report mentioned
... will make sure there's one

MM: k

<rubys> ISSUE-51: aria-curie / Mike Smith ISSUE-53: mediatypereg / Julian Reschke ISSUE-54: doctype-legacy-compat / Julian Rescke ISSUE-61: conformance-language / Dan Connolly ISSUE-64: web-sockets-scope-req / Dan Connolly

<rubys> ack

SR: these issues are satisfied by the persons who raised them
... if people feel otherwise please let us know

<smedero> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/1328.html

DC: someone just complained about <q>

<DanC> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/1328.html

<rubys> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/1328.html

SR: not appropriate to close this one just yet

<paulc> Which issue is this about?

DC: I think he's just asking for clarification, not change how code is written

<kliehm> That was me, I took a closer look and I agree with annevk that bug reports are sufficient

<rubys> issue 48

<DanC> ISSUE-48?

<trackbot> ISSUE-48 -- Should user-agents generate quotes for the q element -- RAISED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/48

<mjs> I note that my suggestions to close are all for next thursday anyway, to give the space between two telecons

<kliehm> Right, close it

MS: does that mean we can close the issue?

SR: fine with me

[lots of cheering in the background]

SR: MC do you want to talk about the HTML Task Force?

MC: still seeking to appoint a joint Task Force
... the reason we want a Task Force is that we want to focus on a specific set of issues and not be distracted
... it would be under the process of both of the Working Groups
... the PFWG feels this would be an important channel
... deliverables would be given to both WGs and the host WGs decide what to do with them

SR: I talked with PC and MS and MS had some reservations that he'll write up
... unfortunately he cannot attend the call due to logistics

<rubys> mjs: care to comment on this topic via IRC?

MC: we're anxious to get this forum and have a desire to broaden the discussion

<mjs> rubys, sure

<mjs> my comments are this:

<Laura> From last week's Teleconference: "Sam: no objections. I'll set up a poll."

<Laura> http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/html-wg/20090820#l-610

<mjs> rubys, actually, I can go to Dave Singer's office and share his phone

<mjs> rubys, can we table this issue while I walk over? ~5min

Laura, it was later found out there were objections

<mjs> (back in a few)

PC: If we can go back to the Task Force item; what are the concerns about IP?

SR: DS are you still on the call and can you comment on them?

DS: one of my concerns was under which group would the disclosure policy fall
... do you have to join the HTML WG or the PFWG?

[DS explains the IP issue]

MC: I don't think that this in practice will be an issue

PC: we had these questions before and people can join both WGs to alleviate the issues
... another solution we did was that both WGs publish the document
... are we talking about creating a joint document or input for documents created separately by each WG?

MC: we're not clear on that yet, looking in both directions

<DanC> phpht

RS: HTML5 has a dependency on ARIA; so that's a separate deliverable
... it seems that joining both groups or agreeing to both policies seems the appropriate thing to do

MC: I don't think joining both groups is an option everyone has

RS: what about agreeing to policies of both groups?

MC: not sure

<paulc> See Status section of http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-xpath20-20070123/

PC: I'm certainly willing to help with this

SR: at least talk with MS and MC

CS: we already have one joint task force between PFWG and HTML in theory
... the one on accessibility mapping

<Laura> Request for Input on organizing accessibility API binding work in PFWG and HTML WG

<Laura> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/32212/axs-API-impl-Org/results

SR: can you report on this next week?

PC: that's the idea; together with MS

MS: what I wanted to say about this is that a designated place to talk about this is good
... I'd like it to be as open to participation as well



SR: two new chairs: PC and MJS

MJS: hi Working Group; I've been here for a while, you probably know me. I'd like to focus on identifying the key issues that prevent us from getting to Last Call and solving them. I'd hope to keep my own technical opinions outside of these discussions.
... I want to focus on getting them resolved

PC: I'm Paul Cotton and live in Canada and travel to Seattle back and forth. Involved with the W3C for over 10 years. Did the XML Query WG for six years. We've had 1200 last call comments on that specification.
... That WG published 8 recommendations
... Work was very spread out where the TFs did a lot of the work and the WG made the decisions
... I was also involved in the XXX policy WG and have been elected to the AB and the TAG

<Julian> s/xxx/WS/

PC: I'm here to make sure that we can produce one or more recommendations. And to be sure I'm not going to take Microsoft technical positions.
... I want to get to a successful Last Call and even more important a Candidate Recommendation that can be widely used by users/vendors

CW: I don't know what to say. What a long strange trip it's been [indeed].
... I still plan on being involved but probably less than in the past.
... It will be interesting to see how quick you can get something out there.

<Laura> Chris: Thanks for all of your work

DS: thanks CW for everything you've done

SR: hear hear

[scribe agrees!]

are the resolutions of closed issues easy enough to find?

[but is muted]

<ChrisWilson> zaki, take up item 7

DC: there are a couple of issues that got closed recently and I was thinking about changing the closed issues to clearly mark the decision
... have to run

<mjs> DanC, I agree, I'll try to do that for the ones I closed recently

DC: something to think about

SR: meeting adjourned

[scribe says bye]

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009/08/27 17:00:54 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 0.99)

Succeeded: s/Z/z/
Succeeded: s/Options/Items/
Succeeded: s/the issue/ISSUE-4/
Succeeded: s/DC/PaulC/
Succeeded: s/LC/Cynthia/
Succeeded: s/MC:/RS:/
WARNING: Bad s/// command: s/MC:/RS:/s
Succeeded: s/closed/close ACTION-132/
WARNING: Bad s/// command: s/Shawn/Sean Hayes/s
Succeeded: s/sean/shawn/
Succeeded: s/DanC:/DanC,/
Succeeded: s/four/three/
WARNING: Bad s/// command: s/MS/MJS/s
FAILED: s/xxx/WS/
Found Scribe: annevk
Found ScribeNick: annevk

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: AB Apple CS CW Chris ChrisWilson Cooper Cynthia DC DS DanC Dashiva Eliot_Graff Hixie ISSUE-48 ISSUE-51 JR J_Voracek Jerry Julian LM Laura MC MJS MM MS Maciej Matt MichaelC Microsoft Mike MikeSmith P25 P37 P43 PC PaulC Philip ROBOd RS Radhika_Roy Rich Rich_Schwerdtfeger SF SM SR Sam Stevef Title aa aaaa action-140 adele adrianba anne annevk aroben bugmail cgi-irc cyns dsinger franko gavin_ gsnedders heartbeat heycam hsivonen html-wg inserted jgraham jmb joined k0rnel kliehm kliehm_ laplink maddiin masinter mjs_ myakura pimpbot plh richardschwerdtfe rubys scribenick shepazu smedero taf2 tlr trackbot webben xover
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-wg-announce/2009JulSep/0033.html

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 27 Aug 2009
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2009/08/27-html-wg-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]