See also: IRC log
<trackbot> Date: 20 August 2009
<sfegette> howdy, all
<aaron> hey Scott, Aarron
<scribe> scribenick: shepazu
steph: great to hear you all
... start with general update, then drill down into details
... Ben, are you recording this?
john: very energizing and
... thanks, Leslie
leslie: Chattanooga loves you,
... people were impressed with the accessibility and friendliness of the speakers
... I've heard from lots of people from all walks of life who said they understood what our goals are
... I've gotten great feedback
... I'm getting pressure to move even faster (in a good way)
... thanks, everyone!
aaron: in general, we looked at
the options and risks
... the option of joining W3C is enticing, especially if we have the flexibility that e.g. WAI had
... this would help us for time-to-market
... other options had challenges
... for-profit had profile and goal problems
... the Web Foundation might help us channel funds to us
<itpastorn> ??P12 = Lars Gunther
<sniffles> awesome, hi lars
aaron: what challenges do joining
... will we be too active in different ways than works for W3C?
... will we have our say in how we run things?
mark: there are a lot of
organizations involved here... what is the relationship
... is this something that we could cover in the whitepaper?
<aaron> I have mine muted
john: yes, the decision policy and how we work together is important
mark: there will come a time when we disagree, and we need to decide how to resolve it
john: yes, we didn't cover that
very well, and we do need to establish consensus
... w3c might have some of these procedures
<gsims> here is who I think is on the call. If you know of someone else on the call (that I haven't listed) can you let me know?
<gsims> John Allsopp
<gsims> Aaron G
<gsims> Aarron Walter
<gsims> Steph Troeth
<gsims> Nick Fogler
<gsims> Scott Fegette
<gsims> Jeff Brown
<gsims> Terry Morris
<gsims> Ben Friedman
<gsims> Doug Schepers
<gsims> Leslie Jensen-Inman
<gsims> Mark DuBois
john: that partly comes down to what kind of organization we are
<itpastorn> Lars Gunther
<gsims> (waves at Lars)
mark: we do all come to this with IP and goals
steph: let's take this as a separate issue
john: maybe a wiki page?
<scribe> ACTION: mark to create a wiki page about decision policy [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/08/20-owea-minutes.html#action01]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-1 - Create a wiki page about decision policy [on Mark DuBois - due 2009-08-27].
<trackbot> ACTION-1 -- Mark DuBois to create a wiki page about decision policy -- due 2009-08-27 -- OPEN
steph: I think we've made a good
stab at establishing our needs
... and we can put that into the whitepaper to present to W3C
john: we should resolve this
quickly, but carefully... it has big implications
... this issue should have priority
<gsims> we could take a quick poll in adobe connect pro on this question:
<gsims> I feel comfortable with OWEA moving towards being W3C Activity?
<gsims> I feel comfortable with OWEA moving towards being a longterm W3C Activity?
aaron: I planned on having a prose version by the 31st
<gsims> aaron rocks! go aaron!
<gsims> notes are already posted!
steph: I would love to hear from folks already in W3C who could provide feedback
<Aarron> Raises hand
steph: everyone should review the organization notes by September 1
<aaron> raises hand
<scribe> ACTION: doug to set up a poll [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/08/20-owea-minutes.html#action02]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-2 - Set up a poll [on Doug Schepers - due 2009-08-27].
<gsims> Doug, is the page I just posted publicly viewable?
<ben_friedman> glenda, ben, aarron have already voted :-)
john: let's put together a table in the wiki
I obviously support it :)
john: this will be a preliminary decision
glenda describes org tree
* OWEA Core Team - Roots = Chair + Project Leads + Project Members
* OWEA Pilots - Heart of Trunk = Schools Formally running OWEA Pilots
* Projects - Branches = OWEA Core Projects and Local WE Rock Projects
* WE Rock Local Bands - Leaves = Educators, Web Professionals and Trainers who use, teach and promote open web curriculum
1. Do we want to have membership criteria? Yes. See below for details.
2. Do we want to have membership levels? Yes. See below for details.
3. Do we let any one in that asks? If someone asks to be in OWEA, we will share our membership criteria with them and possible ways to contribute. See below for more details.
4. How will members contribute? By volunteering to work on an OWEA project. See below for details.
<ben_friedman> tree graphic: http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/owea/wiki/images/4/47/Owea-membership-model.jpg
glenda: here is the AIGA model for local groups
<aaron> my compliments to the tree's designer ;-)
<sniffles> aaron: that's an istockphoto vector graphic i bought .... :)
<ben_friedman> did doug say fan boys?
<sniffles> he did!
ben_friedman: each local group is a chapter, with a charter and affiliation agreement
mark: WOW has a similar model
doug: this would be interesting for W3C
<Aarron> Where do investors fit into this tree model?
glenda: this would be an evangelism model
Aarron, they are the sunshine and rain :)
glenda: there are open questions about pilot schools
john: and a resource question... different schools have different resources... but membership shouldn't give privilege
<aaron> got dropped
steph: is this a problem for W3C?
doug: depends on the details, not a problem in principle
steph: should we table this, and discuss this on the wiki?
john: yes, everyone should chime in on their concerns, in a detailed discussion
steph: it would be nice to have 2-3 people come up with proposals?
<scribe> ACTION: leslie to lead resource model proposals [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/08/20-owea-minutes.html#action03]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-3 - Lead resource model proposals [on Leslie Jensen-Inman - due 2009-08-27].
mark: I'd like to join in for
community colleges and high-schools
... especially in terms of time and support, not necessarily financial
doug: W3C management is having a meeting, preliminary whitepaper should be before then
steph: need to establish an outline
<scribe> ACTION: aaron to create a whitepaper outline on the wiki [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/08/20-owea-minutes.html#action04]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-4 - Create a whitepaper outline on the wiki [on Aaron Gustafson - due 2009-08-27].
steph: we are having a bi-weekly meeting, but also a weekly meeting for those core members willing to do so
glenda: more meetings might mean shorter meetings
john: broader, then deep-dive alternating
<itpastorn> silencia tacitur
<scribe> ACTION: doug to set up telcon schedule planner [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/08/20-owea-minutes.html#action05]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-5 - Set up telcon schedule planner [on Doug Schepers - due 2009-08-27].
<Aarron> Glenda - what is that meeting scheduling app?
trackbot, end telcon
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135 of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20 Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/ Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00) Succeeded: s/my/by/ Found ScribeNick: shepazu Inferring Scribes: shepazu Default Present: +1.309.360.aaaa, +1.301.401.aabb, +1.847.925.aacc, +1.404.260.aadd, +61.4.051.4.aaee, +1.512.963.aaff, +1.301.401.aagg, +1.706.254.aahh, +1.310.309.aaii Present: +1.309.360.aaaa +1.301.401.aabb +1.847.925.aacc +1.404.260.aadd +61.4.051.4.aaee +1.512.963.aaff +1.301.401.aagg +1.706.254.aahh +1.310.309.aaii Found Date: 20 Aug 2009 Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2009/08/20-owea-minutes.html People with action items: aaron doug leslie mark[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]