SVG Working Group Teleconference

13 May 2009


See also: IRC log


ed, jwatt, anthony, heycam
Chris, Doug



ok brb

<trackbot> Date: 13 May 2009

<scribe> Scribe: Cameron

<scribe> ScribeNick: heycam

SVG Open F2F

ED: i got a question from ruud about when the wg was meeting
... maybe we should discuss dates

CM: ruud said doug said probably after svg open

AG: it's useful to have it before, since then we can get things done before the conference

ED: i'd agree that it'd be better to have it before
... svg open is oct 2-4
... friday-sunday
... having it the week before then, monday-thursday, would be fine with me
... i.e. from sep 28

AG: what about sat-wed, to have a break in between?

ED: yes that'd work

CM: i'd rather a break in between too

ED: i'm not sure if there are any conflicting meetings
... be good to ask chris/doug to see if they have any problems with having the meeting before svg open
... if we feel that's the best plan
... also i'm wondering if we'll meet at the TPAC
... we did respond to the polls before saying that we wouldn't meet, and we'd prefer early in the following year
... just meeting a few of the groups
... since svg open and the TPAC meeting are relatively close is it worth travelling?

CM: what are the tpac dates?

ED: november
... 2-6 november
... and svg open is 2-4 october
... so it's pretty close

AG: any reason why svg open was pushed back?

ED: think some people were saying august wasn't a good time for academics

CM: so we're meeting just 3 times this year? depends on when the possible mini-tpac would be i guess.
... difficult to travel again so soon

ED: me too

CM: be interesting to know what the other mini-meeting groups will do

ED: since they're not going to svg open, probably they don't have such a big problem to attend tpac

AG: assuming i can travel, i'm not too fussed about it
... a pain to travel twice in 4 weeks, but i can do it
... i don't mind if it's shifted back either

ED: for the svg open f2f, should i put the dates on the wiki as proposed dates? from sep 28?

AG: i'd prefer sep 26
... how many days of meeting do we want?

ED: where will we be meeting? would we book a hotel?

CM: maybe mozilla?

ED: i can check if opera have facilities
... i'll put sep 26-30 as the meeting dates, with one day rest before svg open

<scribe> ACTION: Erik to mail Ruud about SVG Open F2F dates, CCing Doug and Chris [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/05/13-svg-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2558 - Mail Ruud about SVG Open F2F dates, CCing Doug and Chris [on Erik Dahlström - due 2009-05-20].

ED: jonathan, do you know if moz has offices we could meet in?

<ed> trackbot, close ACTION-2555

<trackbot> ACTION-2555 Write the proposal for the Working Group panel closed

Module updates

ED: any new things happening?
... don't think i've seen anything
... i made some minor changes to the filters module

AG: haven't done anything major yet, still doing investigations into a few things

Errata progress

ED: the spec itself, is it ready for folding items in?

CM: not yet

AG: i've got a question on wording for the erratum i have to do

<anthony> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2009Apr/0101.html

AG: that's the original problem report

<anthony> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2268

<ed> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2009AprJun/0096.html

AG: wondering what wording to replace with

ED: in that url that's a summary of the behaviour in opera/batik
... i'm quite sure it was the same in firefox/safari too
... you could turn those two bullet points into wording

CM: you could add a sentence after the existing one, to state whether the implicit linetos are relative or absolute, based on the relative-ness of the moveto command

ED: you could say that an uppercase "M" means the implicit linetos are absolute, and a lowercase "m" means they are relative

AG: i might add an example, too

CM: i mailed ian jacobs to ask about publishing the second edition spec including changes that aren't in the errata document
... he said that's fine, as long as they aren't new features
... so basically, the same type of changes as in the errata
... the AC review of the PER is sufficient

ED: are we freezing the errata document?

CM: yes, after anthony's erratum is added

<ed> http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/errata/errata.xml

CM: the remaining unfinished errata can still be added to the spec directly, before it's published

<ed> http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/errata/errata.xml#svglength-clarification-and-exceptions

ED: this one looks complete
... so it's adding the exception, and stating that the unitType is changed

CM: yes, for the valueAsString attributes
... and there's the exceptions for the other two methods, below

ED: looks ok

CM: i changed the text just now to mention throwing if SVG_LENGTHTYPE_UNKNOWN is passed in


<ed> "Raised if unitType is not SVG_ANGLETYPE_UNKNOWN" should be "Raised if unitType is SVG_ANGLETYPE_UNKNOWN" ?

ok fixed

ED: any objection to moving it to proposed?

none heard


RESOLUTION: We will clarify implicit linetos to be absolute or relative in line with current implementations

<ed> http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/errata/errata.xml#svgsvgelement-should-not-extend-viewcss-documentcss-or-documentevent

ED: i think this one looks fine
... one minor detail
... why does this errata repeat the section about how SVGDocument implement DocumentEvent?

and DocumentCSS?

scribe: that's both in the new section B.6.4 and before the SVGDocument interface description

CM: i don't mind to drop that paragraph and mention DocumentEvents in appendix B

<scribe> ACTION: Cameron to modify the #svgsvgelement-should-not-extend-viewcss-documentcss-or-documentevent erratum according to the minutes here [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/05/13-svg-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2559 - Modify the #svgsvgelement-should-not-extend-viewcss-documentcss-or-documentevent erratum according to the minutes here [on Cameron McCormack - due 2009-05-20].

<ed> http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/errata/errata.xml#usecurrentview-should-be-read-only

ED: i agree with this one, any objections to moving it to proposed?

AG: should be fine

<ed> http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/errata/errata.xml#currentscale-should-not-throw

ED: i'm ok with this

JW: what about when you assign NaN?

CM: i think that falls under the same category of things in the ecmascript binding that isn't specified currently

ED: ok, move it to proposed

<ed> http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/errata/errata.xml#allow-foreignobject-outside-switch

ED: i agree with this one, to allow <foreignObject> as a child of any container element
... not just <switch>

CM: these dtd fragments are going to disappear from the chapters when the second edition is published

ED: move it to proposed if there are no objections

<ed> http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/errata/errata.xml#getbbox_clarification

JW: do we say anything about calling getBBox() for elements outside the document

CM: we do in tiny, but not in 1.1


Elements and document fragments which derive from SVGLocatable but are not in the rendering tree, such as those in a 'defs' element or those which have been been created but not yet inserted into the DOM, must still have a bounding box. The geometry of elements outside the rendering tree must take into account only those properties and values (such as 'font-size') which are specified within that element or document fragment, or which have a lacuna value or an

implementation-defined value.

CM: i'm ok with this erratum

ED: ok, move it to proposed

<scribe> ACTION: Cameron to publish the errata after doing his other action [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/05/13-svg-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2560 - Publish the errata after doing his other action [on Cameron McCormack - due 2009-05-20].

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Cameron to modify the #svgsvgelement-should-not-extend-viewcss-documentcss-or-documentevent erratum according to the minutes here [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/05/13-svg-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Cameron to publish the errata after doing his other action [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/05/13-svg-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: Erik to mail Ruud about SVG Open F2F dates, CCing Doug and Chris [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/05/13-svg-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009/05/13 08:01:47 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/2/... 2/
Succeeded: s/Clarify/We will clarify/
Found Scribe: Cameron
Found ScribeNick: heycam
Default Present: ed, jwatt, anthony, heycam
Present: ed jwatt anthony heycam
Regrets: Chris Doug
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2009AprJun/0124.html
Found Date: 13 May 2009
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2009/05/13-svg-minutes.html
People with action items: cameron erik

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]