W3C

Mobile Web Best Practices Working Group Teleconference

31 Jul 2008

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
jeffs, francois, jo, rob, dom, Bryan_Sullivan, adam, Drooks, yeliz, abel, jsmanrique, miguel, SeanP, Kai
Regrets
DavidStorey, Murari, Aaron, Scott, Kai, EdM
Chair
Jo
Scribe
Bryan, Jo

Contents


Administration

Dom: group has been rechartered; before 45 days AC reps need to make recommittment to membership in the group.

CSS Marquee Spec

<Zakim> dom, you wanted to explain the context of the request

Dom: the reason for comments needed is that CSS Marquee is part of CSS Mobile Profile.

Widgets LCWD

<jo> Thread on Widgets Requirements

<inserted> ScribeNick: jo

jo: bryan can you step us through this?

bryan: attempted to make comments in the style of their document

<francois> Initial comments by Bryan on Widgets

bryan: to make it easier for them
... requirements are good and comprehensive - only a few things that I would add
... per the email, things about declarations in the manifest would be good to have more descriptive information as well
... what they support, what they are and what they need
... so I think disclosure is important

jo: worried that putting comments in suggested text form

bryan: yes, but I am now a member of the group

jo: Oh that makes a difference

PROPOSED RESOLUTION: Bryan to weave together jo's and his own comments as put on list and submit them as BP response to the requirements doc

<dom> +1

<rob> +1

<dom> (note that the deadline is tomorrow)

<francois> +1

PROPOSED RESOLUTION: Bryan to weave together jo's and his own comments as put on list and submit them as BP response to the Widgets requirements doc

<jeffs> +1

RESOLUTION: Bryan to weave together jo's and his own comments as put on list and submit them as BP response to the Widgets requirements doc

<inserted> ScribeNick: Bryan

Shared Web Experiences / Accessibility Doc

Jo: anything to do other than review/comment?

<jo> Shared Web Experiences: Barriers Common to Mobile Device Users and People with Disabilities.

Francois: no, that's sufficient. We all should review the article and someone could merge the comments.

Jo: will let them know this may take a while.

<jo> ACTION: Jo to respond to Shawn to say we are looking at it and will get back to them when we get back from the break [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/07/31-bpwg-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-822 - Respond to Shawn to say we are looking at it and will get back to them when we get back from the break [on Jo Rabin - due 2008-08-07].

CT Task Force Report

Yeliz: requests direct comments on common aspects of mobile experience related to accessiblity

<jo> Latest CT Draft

Francois: expect to get CT document to last call very soon. a couple things needing discussion: the extension of last call to Sept 16 (suggested), and
... the list of working groups we need to inform about the last call.

<francois> list of WG that should review CT Guidelines

Jo: any action for the group?

Francois: we can use the official liason through the Hypertext Working Group, or a direct contact.

<jo> PROPOSED RESOLUTION: BPWG requests transition of current Draft 1o of the Content Transformation Guidelines with a Last Call Comment period ending Tuesday September 16

Bryan: OMA would be interested since there are transformation-related work items there.

<francois> +1

<rob> +1

<jeffs> +1

<SeanP> +1

<abel> +1

<jsmanrique> +1

+1

<dom> +1

RESOLUTION: BPWG requests transition of current Draft 1o of the Content Transformation Guidelines with a Last Call Comment period ending Tuesday September 16

<Zakim> rob, you wanted to thank captain Jo for piloting the ship so well through wild waters

<yeliz> +1

<jo> proposed BP comments on TAG finding on linking alternate representations

Jo: action 703 text is ready for ISSUE-222 proposed the text goes into the last call if there are no comments to the proposed text on the list.

<jeffs> +1

<dom> let's take now a resolution that pending any comments, the proposed comments will be sent as is

Francois: expects to have some comments, suggest to wait a week for comments

<jo> PROPOSED RESOLUTION: Text proposed by Jo for ISSUE-222 to be forwarded to TAG following a week's further discussion on list

<jeffs> +1

<francois> +1

<dom> +1

+1

<abel> +1

<jsmanrique> +1

RESOLUTION: Text proposed by Jo for ISSUE-222 to be forwarded to TAG following a week's further discussion on list

<jeffs> +1

Jo: that should be all the issues taken care of

<jo> [all open issues relating to CT now dealt with]

Francois: we can keep the TF open thru early Sept depending upon the comments received

Checker TF

Abel: good progress in the last week; issues resolved, and ready to release a new version

Francois: just one issue left, feel we are ready for version 1 release.

Jo: we had earlier resolved that checker could proceed as needed, but we can take another resolution now also

<francois> PROPOSED RESOLUTION: Based on the report from the Checker TF on the completion of the test suite and the resolution of the pending bugs, the BPWG happily resolves to release version 1.0 of the mobileOK checker

<abel> +1

<jsmanrique> +1

<jeffs> +1

+1

<rob> +1

<francois> PROPOSED RESOLUTION: Based on the report from the Checker TF on the completion of the test suite and the resolution of the pending bugs, the BPWG happily resolves to release version 1.0 of the mobileOK checker. The mobileOK checker fulfills the CR exit criterion: "existence of a checker that checks each aspect of each test specified in this document"

<nacho> miguel votes +1 :) he is not on IRC

<francois> +1

<abel> +1

<jeffs> +1

+1

<jsmanrique> +1

<jo> +1

<rob> +1

<SeanP> +1

<yeliz> +1

<jo> [jo notes the hard work put in by "The musketeers" and by Dom and Francois, and thanks them for that]

RESOLUTION: Based on the report from the Checker TF on the completion of the test suite and the resolution of the pending bugs, the BPWG happily resolves to release version 1.0 of the mobileOK checker. The mobileOK checker fulfills the CR exit criterion: "existence of a checker that checks each aspect of each test specified in this document"

MWABP

Jo: we are waiting for comments on the FPWD, right?

Francois: no comments so far, we are still waiting.

Jo: next steps?

Adam: if we get another round of BP suggestions, we can roll them in.

Bryan: will try to reestablish the context by new contributions, per my emails

<dom> 7 open issues on BP2

<jo> ACTION: Adam to stimulate another round of discussion on what is missing from BP-2 FPWD [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/07/31-bpwg-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-823 - Stimulate another round of discussion on what is missing from BP-2 FPWD [on Adam Connors - due 2008-08-07].

Jo: suggests that we also capture the points from the email conversation between Kai and Bryan

<jo> ACTION: Bryan to raise issues on things he's not happy about, especially personalisation [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/07/31-bpwg-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-824 - Raise issues on things he's not happy about, especially personalisation [on Bryan Sullivan - due 2008-08-07].

<dom> re input for BP2, I sent http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-bpwg/2008Jul/0000.html

mobileOK Scheme

Jo: MobileOK is a bit stuck; Chaals is not around right now, we need someone to offer editorial effort in support in the meantime

Dom: we should give him a couple more weeks, then chair can nominate a new editor as needed

Jo: we need to move quickly to wrap up this with a proposed text

<jo> noted with gratitude Phil Archer's offer to take offer/contribute text and request him to continue with that as a "proposed text" what we short out who is the official editor

BP 1.5

<dom> ISSUE-266?

<trackbot> ISSUE-266 -- Which mobileOK Pro tests needs the DDC and which don't? -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/track/issues/266

Kai: sent out a new version of the document; one issue about usage of DDC.

<dom> Kai's proposal to close ISSUE-266

<Zakim> dom, you wanted to comment on ISSUE-266

Jo: proposal to close 266 as not relevant anymore?

Dom: agree that some of the issues are not relevant, 266 may still be relevant by needing to indicate which tests rely upon the DDC, being a useful thing to know.

Kai: there are some tests that need the DDC, and we can/do make the distinction where needed.

Dom: sees the point, and we can close the issue

<jo> close ISSUE-266

<jeffs> +1

<dom> [I think the formalities aspect can be dealt with once we decide to go forward with the publication]

Kai: since the Mobile OK Pro is a note, I need to know what template to use

Jo: we will come back to that after looking at the draft

<dom> close ISSUE-266

<dom> trackbot, close ISSUE-266

<trackbot> Sorry, dom, I don't understand 'trackbot, close ISSUE-266'. Please refer to http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc for help

<dom> ISSUE-266 closed

<dom> 7 actions in pending review

<Kai> I have closed ISSUE-266

ISSUEs and ACTIONs

<jo> [special thanks to Dom for this Agendum]

<francois> ACTION-703?

<trackbot> ACTION-703 -- Jo Rabin to draft a communication with the TAG based on ISSUE-222 -- due 2008-03-11 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/track/actions/703

<jo> close ACTION-703

<trackbot> ACTION-703 Draft a communication with the TAG based on ISSUE-222 closed

<jo> ACTION: Jo to send final draft ref ISSUE-222 in 1 week [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/07/31-bpwg-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-825 - Send final draft ref ISSUE-222 in 1 week [on Jo Rabin - due 2008-08-07].

<francois> ACTION-785?

<trackbot> ACTION-785 -- Kai Scheppe to check the personalization section for specific parts that seem to imply combination of personal information with usage patterns -- due 2008-06-24 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/track/actions/785

<jo> close ACTION-785

<trackbot> ACTION-785 Check the personalization section for specific parts that seem to imply combination of personal information with usage patterns closed

<francois> ACTION-786?

<trackbot> ACTION-786 -- Jo Rabin to draft wording for an appendix that identifies the aggregators and operator roles that are different in the mobile ecosystem. -- due 2008-06-24 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/track/actions/786

<francois> ACTION-792?

<trackbot> ACTION-792 -- Abel Rionda to propose some text on SVG -- due 2008-07-31 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/track/actions/792

<francois> ACTION-793?

<trackbot> ACTION-793 -- Kai Scheppe to work with Scott to produce proposed text on caching that goes beyond BP 1 -- due 2008-06-24 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/track/actions/793

<francois> ACTION-798?

<trackbot> ACTION-798 -- Kai Scheppe to work proposed changes into the mobileOK Pro document and then turn it over to the group -- due 2008-07-31 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/track/actions/798

<francois> ACTION-809?

<trackbot> ACTION-809 -- Fran├žois Daoust to prepare official responses to the two comments. -- due 2008-07-17 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/track/actions/809

<jo> close ACTION-798

<trackbot> ACTION-798 Work proposed changes into the mobileOK Pro document and then turn it over to the group closed

<jo> close ACTION-809

<trackbot> ACTION-809 Prepare official responses to the two comments. closed

AOB

Francois: there are some sites no longer passing Mobile OK, we should give them a chance to fix it.
... the exclusion period ends Aug 9th and we can't move forward before then, so the sites have a chance to get fixed

<jo> francois notes that the call for exclusions is still open on mobileOK Basic Tests, till 9 Aug, can move to PR once that is complete and the sties that were mobileOK become so again

<jo> PROPOSED RESOLUTION: There will be no call on Thursday August 7th, therefore the next call will be Thursday August 28th.

<francois> +1

<jeffs> +1

<Kai> +1

<yeliz> +1

<dom> +1

Jo: we have a group recommendation in BP1, three cheers!

+

<aconnors> +10

+1

<abel> +1

<SeanP> +1

RESOLUTION: There will be no call on Thursday August 7th, therefore the next call will be Thursday August 28th.

<jeffs> happy vacation

<jo> -- adjourned --

<yeliz> bye

<abel> bye

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Adam to stimulate another round of discussion on what is missing from BP-2 FPWD [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/07/31-bpwg-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Bryan to raise issues on things he's not happy about, especially personalisation [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/07/31-bpwg-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: Jo to respond to Shawn to say we are looking at it and will get back to them when we get back from the break [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/07/31-bpwg-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Jo to send final draft ref ISSUE-222 in 1 week [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/07/31-bpwg-minutes.html#action04]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.133 (CVS log)
$Date: 2008/07/31 15:19:30 $