Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) Working Group Teleconference
14 May 2008

See also: IRC log






<Bert> trackbot-ng, start telcon

<trackbot-ng> Date: 14 May 2008

<plinss> http://www.w3.org/1998/12/bridge/info/name.php3

<scribe> ScribeNick: fantasai

<dbaron> I've read a bunch of previous drafts of the charter; not sure if they include the current one.

you said the *exact* same thing last time!

<dsinger> I did read the charter a little while back, I may not be up to date, tho

Jason: My team had a meeting and talked about it. We think we should consider saying a bit more about outreach

Peter: Still waiting on Opera for module feedback
... No comments on module priority on www-style

fantasai: I didn't see Selectors 4 on the list anywhere

Peter: So only things on agenda this week are Backgrounds and Borders

<hyatt> me

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008May/0148.html Bottom list

fantasai summarizes issues in "needs discussion" list

dbaron: opposed to changing background-origin to background-box

<dbaron> hyatt: I like background-origin -- I think it's descriptive.

peter: for positioning from other corners, I can see that calc() can do it.. I can also see the utility in using start/end
... maybe add start/end keywords to calc?

fantasai doesn't think that makes much sense

fantasai: one proposal for syntax was background-position: bottom 10px right 25px;


peter: for percentage border widths, I have a vague memory that adding more percentages to width calculations can create circular dependencies.. but maybe I'm wrong

hyatt?: I don't think you get a circular dependency if you add the same rules we have other places, relative to the width of the block and defaulting to something else if you can't resolve the percentage

dbaron: We already have the same problems with percentage margins. I'm concerned about tables.

hyatt: you could say it doesn't apply

fantasai: can default to 'medium'

hyatt: is there a compelling use case for this?

fantasai: not really
... it's there for margin and padding
... figured we'd ask WG if anyone really wants to implement it

Bert: borders don't always look like borders

hyatt: if there's no compelling use case, then leave it to another level
... it's just another thing to hold back the module

Bert: I'd like to add it and mark it at risk

fantasai: I don't want to define what happens in tables, that's extra work and not easy

<dbaron> I said "I think it is too."

peter: should record idea somewhere

<dbaron> I'm getting a lot of echo from somebody else's phone.

fantasai: We can add a note about the problems and why we're planning to drop it in the next WD
... then drop it in the next round

<dbaron> (regarding percentage border-radius being implemented in Gecko)

peter: I think percentage border radii were implemented in Gecko

fantasai: Gecko avoids the confusion of what percentages are relative to by only allowing one radius: corners are always circular

<glazou> hi

hyatt: I think percentage border radii and percentage border widths go together

fantasai: I think it sounds like they go together when you say it, but not when you look at it

<glazou> oops

peter: I think the use case was for having rounded ends

fantasai: you can get that if you set large radii, say 2em on a navigation button. They get reduced until they don't intersect, so you'd get rounded ends that way

peter: Everyone please review the list of issue changes here, we will discuss next week as needed

<dbaron> hyatt, since you're here, I'd like to bring http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008May/0145.html and http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008May/0147.html to your attention (Feel free to respond on the list)

peter: update on logo contest

jason: for the prizes we have generous donations from HP and Adobe for a first-prize kit
... we could use more, anything like T-shirts etc

<dsinger> I have not yet got response from Apple folk

jason: right now only have enough for first place
... end of update

<hyatt> dbaron: Issue 3: Should the z-index property apply to elements with opacity?

<hyatt> dbaron: we have a bug filed against webkit on that

<glazou> peter, can you stay here a minute after the end of the call please ?

fantasai: what is the plan for module list in charter?

peter: wait for Opera.. if we don't hear from Opera then we'll just go ahead with what we have

<hyatt> dbaron: i wasn't sure that treating opacity as having a z-index of 0 was good enough

<hyatt> dbaron: i kind of felt like a nonpositioned element with opacity should paint behind positioned elements with a z-index of 0

fantasai: for things that will shift from implementor feedback (like CSS Namespaces), how are you going to do that?

<dbaron> hyatt, but there's also no alternative layer that's appropriate, since the background and the text of boxes have to be together...

peter: editorial change by me

<hyatt> dbaron: i think i'm suggesting amending (8) in http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/zindex.html

<hyatt> or adding something between (7) and (7)

<hyatt> (7) and (8)

<dbaron> hyatt, CSS 2.1 doesn't have 'opacity'

RRSAgent: make logs public

RRSAgent: make minutes

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.133 (CVS log)
$Date: 2008/05/14 16:42:13 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.133  of Date: 2008/01/18 18:48:51  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found ScribeNick: fantasai
Inferring Scribes: fantasai

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: Arron Bert Dave_Hyatt David_Baron Hixie Jason ScribeNick SteveZ aaaa aabb aacc aadd aaee alexmog anne bjoern dbaron dsinger fantasai glazou hsivonen hyatt jason_cranfordtea jdaggett krijnh peter plinss trackbot-ng
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 14 May 2008
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2008/05/14-css-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]