SWEO Weekly Telco

16 Jan 2008

See also: IRC log


Susie, MartinD, Ivan, JeffP, PaulaP, chris, uldis, Kjetil, JacekK, + Leo, lbengee, Kingsley, danja



<Susie> http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/Meetings/2008-01-16_Conference_Call

paula, now it should be identifying you correctly

Business case document (Jeff)

jeff put together some initial info for business case/presentation

so far draft has been produced, link sent via email

draft shall now be opened up so that people out of SWEO can comment

draft is produced in a "backwards" style: technology is a background, very few successful business cases are technology led

most uilt around idea of decreasing risks

Jeff Pollock speaking

the approach tries to show why SW can be used as a low-cost as opposed to hi-risk solution

SW is often pictured as strategic, long-terms solution, so this is somewaht addressed

Jeff continues: think about SW as a tactical rather than strategic choice...

Jeff: after technical founations, provide justifications why and how to launch programmes (in the near future), rather than relying on technologies from the past
... make people understand that when they invest into SW they invest into a (technology) solution of the future

<danja> (sorry I'm late, dozed off after lunch)

Jeff: draft shall be now opened to comments to gauge consensus, etc. once that is reached, we can go for a PPT version of it

Kingsley: is the draft in ESW wiki?

Jeff: only to mailing list... so the thing needs to go into ESW wiki

<Kjetil> http://me.jtpollock.us/pubs/drafts/SWEO.SemWeb.BusinessCase.v1.doc # <- this one?

KIngsley: if in wiki, the doc might be easier to edit, collaborate (via a browser, rather than downloading)

Jeff: no preference for collab medium/format... doc should reside with the community

Susie: then it looks like wiki is the choice

<scribe> ACTION: Susie to put Jeff''s doc onto ESW wiki [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/01/16-sweo-minutes.html#action01]

Susie: can edits be done before sweo concludes at the end of January = how much can be edited by then?
... we should aim at a delivery around next week

Ivan: PPT is ssecondary, doc should be finished to the extent people are happy with it

Chris: offering help...it's good doc talks about capabilities, what SW enables, how it's done

Susie: also agrees that technological basis might not be ideal for this kind of doc, so a good choice of approach
... we should get comments by next Wednesday, so that Jeff can move on to slides
... would we be able to publish the doc itself (not only PPT)?

Jeff: would be very useful, so that there is more narrative, not just labels, bullet points

Leo: good doc, neutrally written... wonders what is the "white paper"-ish aspect of this doc = how is it gonna be published

Ivan: finished version on the wiki is fine, at this moment, if more is needed, we can 'upgrade' to e.g. IG Note
... if slides are made, they should be done in a way that links them with narrative (e.g. for re-use)

Susie: maybe preparing slides so that it contains chunks of the agreed narrative

Leo & info gathering

Leo: data uploadded today
... core data sets up and running, few smaall technical problems - contacted implementers

Susie: let me know when the issues are overcome, so that we can write it into blog

Cool URI document

... there was some discussion re URI doc

Leo: a few emails from december, one this month... Danny also responded, but the recent emails somewhat returned back to old issues discussed at the w3c level

Danny: main of the latest email wasn't really relevant to the URI doc, only minor editorial change suggested

<leobard> danja: the editorial change you suggested is good

<leobard> danja: it is: "The standard Web transfer protocol, HTTP, should be used."

<leobard> to something like:

<leobard> "The standard Web transfer protocol, HTTP, can provide such a look-up

<leobard> mechanism".

Susie: URI doc is on track, waiting for deadline for comments to pass to upgrade the doc
... encouraged people at W3 coordination mtg to look at it

Leo: deadline is next Monday for URI, what will happen after the revision round?

Ivan: depends on comments, so far comments / issues are minor, almost on the editorial level
... with such points we can still go ahead and publish it as a Note, if something controversial comes, we may have a problem

Susie: let's wait for the deadline (21/Jan) and see the what kind of comments we get


Ivan: no update, nothing received from GRDDL people to include

Susie: I will chase them

Use cases

Ivan: no progress at this point
... received mail from Melli who should review the use cases by the end of this weekend, Lee will do something similar

Melli: Lee and me would have a look at cases, identify categories of facets that seem to be coming out of materials

preferred doc collection

Danny: no more progress at this point
... some ideas to use talis technology, but still in progress, so more information to come next week

community projects

Kjetil: continued to work
... project likely to continue, probably not concluding within this SWEO

<danja> ACTION: Danny to continue with RecommendedTutorials, with aim of having something to show within current SWEO lifetime [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/01/16-sweo-minutes.html#action02]

Benji: also needs more time for his project, still there is a possibility to conclude within SWEO

Kingsley: work is going on, some more inpute expected from german guys

enterprise survey

Susie: now about a year old, data is a bit out of date, so what about its validity?
... maybe it was good as an information input, but little reason to publish it as a doc

proposed: scrap the idea of publishing enterprise survey


Susie: go to wiki and enter info on what SWEO should be interested in when going on into the future

<Susie> http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/Next_Steps

Susie: put yout thoughts there, it would influence what SWEO does, etc.

Bengee: Q re wiki page... maybe we should get some form of task force debriefing, to get an idea what worked,etc

Susie: maybe debriefing should be scheduled for last call, 30 Jan

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Danny to continue with RecommendedTutorials, with aim of having something to show within current SWEO lifetime [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/01/16-sweo-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Susie to put Jeff''s doc onto ESW wiki [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/01/16-sweo-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.128 (CVS log)
$Date: 2008/01/16 15:42:03 $