- Document title:
- OWL 2 Web Ontology Language
MOF-Based Metamodel (Second Edition)
- Saartje Brockmans, ontoprise GmbH
- Peter Haase, AIFB, Universität Karlsruhe (TH)
- Boris Motik, Oxford University
- The OWL 2 Web Ontology Language, informally OWL 2, is an ontology language for the Semantic Web with formally defined meaning. OWL 2 ontologies provide classes, properties, individuals, and data values and are stored as Semantic Web documents. OWL 2 ontologies can be used along with information written in RDF, and OWL 2 ontologies themselves are primarily exchanged as RDF documents. The OWL 2 Document Overview describes the overall state of OWL 2, and should be read before other OWL 2 documents.
This document provides a Metamodel for OWL 2 based on the Meta Object Facility.
- Status of this Document
- This document is evolving along with the OWL 2 Web Ontology Language: Structural Specification and Functional-Style Syntax document. The metamodel described in this document is intended to directly reflect the structural specification of OWL 2. The current version of the metamodel reflects the structural specification in the version from September 22, 2008.
The current structural specification includes a number of UML diagrams. While thus far not made explicit, these diagrams are intended to be compliant with the MOF (MetaObject Facility). The specification of a language in terms of a MOF metamodel allows for a more precise formal specification, provides a machine readable format of the specification and enables the use of a range of MOF-based software tools. Such a metamodel may also be used to define UML profiles using the extensibility features of UML2 to allow a visual notation for the modeling of
We here provide a MOF metamodel to accompany the OWL 2 structural specification [OWL 2 Specification].
We provide the metamodel in various formats:
- owl2.ecore (the metamodel as an Ecore file, can be read e.g. with the open source Eclipse EMF tooling)
- owl2.emx (the metamodel along with the UML diagrams, can be read e.g. with Rational Software Architect)
- owl2.xsd (the XML Schema automatically generated from the metamodel)
3 Tool Support
A prototype implementation of the MOF-based OWL 2 metamodel can be found here.
- [OWL 2 Specification]
- OWL 2 Web Ontology Language: Structural Specification and Functional-Style Syntax. Peter F. Patel-Schneider, Ian Horrocks, and Boris Motik, eds., 2006.
- Meta Object Facility (MOF) Core Specification, version 2.0. Object Management Group, OMG Available Specification 1 January 2006.
- The Eclipse Modeling Framework (EMF) Overview. 16 June 2005.