23 Feb 2007

See also: IRC log


Harvey_Bingham, William_Loughborough, doyle, Judy, Shawn, Sylvie_Duchateau, Liam_McGee, Alan, Justin, Helle_Bjarno, Jack, (Wayne_briefly)
Andrew, [scribe, please_get_others_from_EOWG_mailing_list]
alan, shawn




<shawn> agenda: [screibe, please get from mailing list]

<Alan> My pass code is not valid? 3694

<shawn> scribenick: alan

EOWG issues from recent conferences and events

Due to work load with WCAG 2.0, more emphasis on discussion and less on documents.

LM: About UK 'supergroup' meeting.
... Different disciplines, like information architecture, search engine optimisation (SEO) need to know about accessibility.

<Harvey> I will be giving a presentation to the Lexington Senior Citizens Group's

LM: On large projects, increasingly accessibility people are brought in from the beginning.

<Harvey> Computer Group on April 4.

<Harvey> The topic is our work in WAI.

WL: What are the motives for the trend?

LM: Increased respect due to overlap between accessibility and usability.

HB: Sounds similar to what was discussed at meeting in Gijón on inclusion.

<Harvey> just rejoined after being thrown off.

HB: Speakers from other groups, like markup languages, included accessibility in their talks.

LM: Accessibility is considered a prerequisite.

JB: It's useful to have input from other areas.

<Zakim> shawn, you wanted to ask how we encourage others to understand overlap. how take advantage. (someone - other than EOWG - pull together info for each discpline ;)

SH: Accessibility / Usability overlap helps get the message across.

William: Is there a need expressed for better tools?

<Helle> http://www.w3c.es/Eventos/2007/eGov/index.html.en - link to programme for European w3c symposium on eGovernment

LM: People aren't demanding tools. They aren't too worried about how the acccessibility gets done.

WL: There are still no ATAG-compliant tools.

LM: People aren't prepared to, for example, change CMS (content management system) because it's too costly and complex to do.

<shawn> Shawn: ...get articles in SEO, IA< etc. online magazines about the overlap...

HB: Decision in Denmark to require accessible electronic document formats.
... Reluctance to require accessible tools.

<Helle> me/ zakim, mute me

<shawn> [minute cleanup person: Please change the "HB" above to "HBj" to clarify Helle instead of Harvey :]

JT: People are aware that they need to know about accessibility

<LiamMcGee> JT: to be considered professional (with a few exceptions)

[Wayne reports briefly from on board plane]

DS: Standards entusiasts in organisation are aware and keen on accessibility but there is also the side that wants to adopt new technologies like Ajax and give accessibility less priority.

<judy> [accessibility essentials of information architecture - liam]

<Helle> me/ zakim, unmute me

<Helle> yes

Accessible on-line services, a benefit for all

HB: Attended european e-accessibility forum.
... There are now national labels, but there's a need for a european one.

AC: Am working on Technosite mapping to UWEM; Braillenet alredy done it.

LM: In the UK there is the See-it-Right label.

SD: WAI label is a self-declaration. Others that have to be paid for are third-party and more reliable.

<shawn> scribenick: shawn

<Alan> SD: Harmonisation of methodology, not pricing.

Web Direction North conference

<judy> http://north.webdirections.org/

<judy> ACTION: jb add to change log for contacting people abt their web sites, suggestions for if running into someone at event... consider. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/02/23-eo-minutes.html#action01]

<Harvey> HB had been bounced off

<Zakim> shawn, you wanted to mention still need to make it cool

<Zakim> shawn, you wanted to say talked to Dave shay

RefreshDC, a Washington DC new media user group & DC Public Library on a panel on Web Accessibility (Justin)

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: jb add to change log for contacting people abt their web sites, suggestions for if running into someone at event... consider. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/02/23-eo-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.127 (CVS log)
$Date: 2007/02/23 15:15:27 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.127  of Date: 2005/08/16 15:12:03  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/[?] Is/William: Is/
Found ScribeNick: alan
Found ScribeNick: shawn
Inferring Scribes: alan, shawn
Scribes: alan, shawn
ScribeNicks: alan, shawn
Default Present: Bingham, Loughborough, doyle, Judy, Shawn, Sylvie_Duchateau\Tanguy_Lohéac, Liam_McGee, Alan, Justin, Helle_Bjarno, Jack, +1.562.256.aaaa, Wayne
Present: Harvey_Bingham William_Loughborough doyle Judy Shawn Sylvie_Duchateau Liam_McGee Alan Justin Helle_Bjarno Jack (Wayne_briefly)
Regrets: Andrew [scribe please_get_others_from_EOWG_mailing_list]
Got date from IRC log name: 23 Feb 2007
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2007/02/23-eo-minutes.html
People with action items: add jb

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]