See also: IRC log
<scribe> ACTION: Felix to find out how we should handle ws-i18n "policy" now, with the policy wg (ONGOING) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action01]
<scribe> ACTION: Richard (if you want): Report on SSML workshop, and WWW 2006 (DONE) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action02]
Richard: not much left to say
Francois: nothing ground breaking?
Richard: the composite message scenario for SSML?
... we thought about SSML in two contexts:
... handcrafting a text, putting things into it, then an SSML processor works with it
... that scenario is e.g. for a telephone prompt
... a different scenario might be a news read
... where you read news e.g. for a data base
... in that case you will not do any special tweaks of low level attributes / elements
... at the SSML workshop, there was a third scenario: you get some information from the DB
... e.g. you get the date from the DB in "the date is ..."
... or "the total number of pages printed is ..."
... if you say "we printed seven pages"
... that would be difficult for languages with high inflection
... all the rules on composite messages I wrote recently in an article apply in that case
... we have to see what the implemencations will be
Francois: interesting. Is there an allowance for variables in SSML?
Richard: that is up to you, SSML has no specific facility for that
... but some Greek people did that
Francois: so the SSML processor gets just plain SSML, but a different processor does the rest?
... e.g. you could use the say-as element
... you can have that as part of a template for your sentence
... but that would not be so easy with e.g. news feeds, because you first would need to identify e.g. ordinal numbers
Francois: any conclusion for the workshop?
Richard: we gathered requirements
... there will be a summary
... there might be another workshop
... these guys are kean on i18n
... they want more people more Indian e.g.
Felix: would ITS be a place to describe such constraints as with the variable stuff?
Richard: don't know, maybe in ITS
Richard: on the 2nd and 3rd of August
... a workshop with strong interest in speech
... maybe people from the voice browser wg
... Felix might be able to participate as well
Felix: I will make that clear ASAP
Francois: organized by the Indian office?
<scribe> ACTION: all to look at charmod resid test suite and gather feedback (PENDING) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action03]
<scribe> ACTION: Francois to build a current issues list on charmod norm (PENDING) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action04]
<scribe> ACTION: Mary to review http://www.w3.org/TR/its/ after 18 May before 30 June (PENDING) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action05]
<scribe> ACTION: Mary will make the updates discussed in Mandelieu on ws-i18n (PENDING) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action06]
<scribe> ACTION: Richard to create a wiki on "first letter", post a blog and write a mail to the Unicode list about it (PENDING) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action07]
Richard: I already got a response from Martin, he felt he could deal with this
... I don't think there is s.t. specific at this time, Steven just wants somebody to talk to
Richard: there is a specific issue, and Martin has responded already
<scribe> ACTION: Everybody to look at input mode discussion, see Martin's mail at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2006Jun/0012.html [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action08]
Richard: accessibility people have raised the same issue as we did about compound documents
Francois: We tried, CDF refused
Felix: coming from an ITS perspective and the problems we have with the conref mechanism, I tend to agree with the CDF people
Richard: people might want to use this stuff
Francois: CDF people say the stuff would be like standalone
... I am still worried that people create compound documents with images
Richard: we should get it in the i18n BP document
Felix: Yves said he will take care of that
Richard: we talk about documents included by reference
... if the SVG is included in the HTML file, what do we say?
Francois: in that case, the xml:lang will apply
... from the case of accessibility, we could say "we tried with CDF, they pushed back"
... accessiblity might be stronger
Richard: but the same theory applies
... if we agree with CDF, we should go back to accessibility like that as well
... and people should be educated
... to use language information in every included piece
<scribe> ACTION: Richard to reply to accessibility people about CDF issue [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/13-i18ncore-minutes.html#action09]
Richard: we should also say:
<r12a> that the referenced document would be handled as if it were read on its own
Francois: Did Mark make some recommendations?
Felix: he proposed to built locale identifiers on top of RFC 3066bis
Francois: I think that matches current practice more closlely than the other solution (i.e. having locale and language totally separated)
Richard: what are we dealing with here? E.g. collations?
Francois: what a locale is depends very much on the application area
Felix: what notion fits to ws i18n?
Mary: depends also on application
discussion on various notions of locale
Richard: no news yet.
Francois: not here next week
Richard: let's have a call
... at some time, we should go through some concepts of RFC 3066bis
Francois: please tackle ITS if possible next week
Mary: will do