- 1 Discussion of Topics and Use Cases
- 1.1 Discussion in Pittsburgh
- 1.2 CM. Conceptual Models and KOS
- 1.3 LLD. Applying SemWeb Technology to Library Data (Implementation)
- 1.3.1 LLD.LEGACY
- 1.3.2 LLD.AVAILABLE-LINKED-DATA
- 1.3.3 LLD.VOCABS-STATUS
- 1.3.4 LLD.MARC2LLD
- 1.3.5 LLD.REFERENCE-MODEL-FIT
- 1.3.6 LLD.AUTHORITIES
- 1.3.7 LLD.VOCABS
- 1.3.8 LLD.SPECIFIC-VOCABS
- 1.3.9 LLD.SKOS-FOR-INTEGRATED-KOS
- 1.3.10 LLD.SKOS-MULTILINGUAL
- 1.3.11 LLD.SKOS-LIB-KOS
- 1.3.12 LLD.PERSON-METADATA
- 1.3.13 LLD.SKOS-EXTENSIONS
- 1.3.14 LLD.IDENTIFIERS
- 1.3.15 LLD.INSTITUTION-IDS
- 1.3.16 LLD.LEGACY-IDS
- 1.3.17 LLD.NAMESPACES
- 1.4 SW. Semantic Web Environmental Issues
- 1.5 DATA. Management of data and distribution
- 1.6 MGT. Community and Management Issues
- 1.6.1 MGT.RIGHTS
- 1.6.2 MGT.LICENSES
- 1.6.3 MGT.GUIDANCE
- 1.6.4 MGT.WORKFLOWS
- 1.6.5 MGT.BIZ-MODELS
- 1.6.6 MGT.PATTERNS
- 1.6.7 MGT.COMMUNITY-BUILDING
- 1.6.8 MGT.TRAINING
- 1.6.9 MGT.LEGACY-MAPPING
- 1.6.10 MGT.STANDARDS-PARTICIPATION
- 1.6.11 MGT.OUTREACH
- 1.6.12 MGT.NEW-EFFORTS]
- 1.6.13 MGT.NEXT-STEPS
- 1.6.14 MGT.FUTURE-WGS
- 1.6.15 MGT.BEST-PRACTICES-GP
- 1.7 USE. Consuming and using library data
- 1.8 Nicknames
- 1.9 Use Cases vs. Topics Table
Discussion of Topics and Use Cases
This page is the continuation of http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics
Discussion in Pittsburgh
Things that should be covered by use cases
- CM.CITATIONS (we have the Use Cases already)
- CM.NON-BIBLIO (to be pointed out : there is an AP for collections that includes administrative stuff. Don’t reinvent the wheel. Use external vocabularies.)
- LLD.SKOS-FOR-INTEGRATED-KOS. Use case needed to identify the requirement for a model more complex than SKOS (pending action on Gordon & Antoine).
- LLD.INSTITUTIONS-ID (Use case already available)
- SW.PROVENANCE, MGT.LICENSE, MGT.RIGHTS : to be extracted from existing use cases
- MGT.BIZ-MODELS: include ownership, return on investment and sustainability. To be extracted from existing use cases.
- DATA.SEARCH-OPTIMISATION: use case to be contributed by Antoine & Emmanuelle (pending action)
- DATA.VOCABS: need a use case for registries (RDA task group ?) - also includes : DATA.OBSOLETE-VOCABS, DATA.CHANGES, DATA-DISSEMINATION, DATA.VERSIONING, DATA.ONTOLOGY-DISCOVERY
- LLD.SKOS-EXTENSIONS: need to be captured in use cases. See the UC «Browsing & searching...» + contribute additionnal UC if needed. Check from SKOS postponed issues.
- Link Social Bibliography to a Bibliographic Network. Link reviews, tags, lists, cover art to a work. This seems like a variation on the enrich a record use case.
- Find stuff in several collections.Searching a specific set of library and non-library collections--for instance to find a given book or DVD, or get access to an article. I'm thinking about this first as a local area search with a specific set of libraries--but then also as a 'travel' awareness search (for the harder-to-find things I'm willing to go out of my way to find, while travelling). I'd love, for instance, a mashup between TripIt/Dopplr, my calendar of availability, and my LibraryThing wishlist -- alerting me to possibilities to use items I can't get locally when I have a free day out-of-town. Jodi Schneider 13:48, 30 June 2010 (UTC) It seems that we don't have any such far-stretching case. Or this item rather calling for enabling mesh-ups, not doing them? (Antoine)
- Find e-books see http://efoundations.typepad.com/efoundations/2010/07/finding-ebooks.html
- archives and linked data, knitting together multiple identifiers
Issues identified as requirements, and recommendations for future work
- Best practices should be issued regarding the modeling of FR’s vocabularies (CM.FRS). Ensure a better communication channel regarding the current status and updates on the development of domain vocabularies (LLD.VOCAB-STATUS)
- Provide explanation and advice on the reuse of legacy identifiers (ex. LCCN) as URLs (LLD.LEGACY-IDS)
- Clarify what an application profile is, and point to different approaches (documentation and guidelines vs. syntaxe for formal use) CM.APP-PROFILES. FR’s should be mentionned as a starting point (domain model in the Singapore Framework). Identify patterns for data models.
- Education and proof of concept regarding the shift from Record Paradigm to Graph Paradigm (SW.LD-VS-RECORD). Differentiate creation, dissemination and consumption of data: some of these could still need some form of record of aggregation. Record or aggregation packaging (SW.LD-PACKAGING).
- Need for coordination regarding the translation of data in MARC to Linked Data. Could it be done with an application profile ? (LLD.MARC2LLD, LLD.REFERENCE-MODEL-FIT)
- Identify different approaches regarding cross-linking of vocabularies (one-to-one vs. hub-spoke) SW.CROSS-LINKING-VOCAB
- Provide guidance on linked data project & management patterns (MGT. GUIDANCE, MGT. WORKFLOWS, MGT. PATTERNS). See the book «linked data patterns» and check how to adapt it to the case of libraries.
- Create a Library Linked Data Primer, including a glossary (MGT.TRAINING, MGT.LEGACY-MAPPING)
- Create formal and durable liaison with relevant standard bodies (MGT.STANDARDS-PARTICIPATION)
Non-library specific, but still relevant :
- Provide best practices on Namespaces (LLD.NAMESPACES), presistent identifiers resolution services, identifiers (SW.IDENTIFIERS), URI patterns (SW.REST)
- Provide best practices regarding Linked Data Architecture and Infrastructure, data caching, reference software. (DATA. ARCHITECTURE, DATA.CACHING)
Deliverables that the XG should achieve within its lifetime
- Framework for providing an inventory of available library linked datasets (related with CKAN) (LLD.AVAILABLE-LINKED-DATA). Inventory of available KOS / value vocabularies (LLD.SKOS-LIB-KOS) and links between them (SW.LINKING-INVENTORY).
- Update on the status of library vocabularies in development (LLD.VOCAB-STATUS), including transformation of MARC to RDF, and how to discover these once they’re available.
- Clear statement for the issue of description of Bibliographic entities vs. Real World Entities (LLD.AUTHORITIES, LLD.PERSON-METADATA, LLD.PERSON-NAMES)
- Outreach and dissemination : make sure the XG’s activity is known to any external interested body or organisation, and record initiatives in the wiki (pending action) MGT.OUTREACH
- Demonstrate the need for library linked data, by showing the actual use (USE.END-USERS, USE.COMPU, USE.PRO) - to be extracted from use cases
- Identify new steps, new efforts, future working group, best practices (MGT.NEXT-STEPS, MGT.NEW-EFFORTS, MGT.FUTURE-WGS, MGT.BEST-PRACTICES-GP).
Note : SW.DATA-EXTRACTION could be a tool to present our deliverables.
Occurrence of a nickname on a topic line indicates that the person has coined the topic or is interested in it.
CM. Conceptual Models and KOS
kc: This is the development of conceptual information models (like FRBR). These models do not determine particular technologies, but ideally would be developed iteratively with actual implementations.
Knowledge representation issues / Describing library and museum authorities and KOS resources as Linked Data [jyoung4, GordonD, dlukose, antoine, marcia]
The FR's: FRBR, FRAD, FRSAR
- Persons, families, corporate bodies, works [ahaffner, ndelaforge, emmanuelle, abartov]
- FRBR group 1 entities [jyoung4, ahaffner, Jschneid4, wwaites2, kcoyle. jphipps, abartov], frbr entities in general
Types of library data other than bibliographic and authority [Jschneid4, keckert, aseiler]
- administrative: circulation, statistics (COUNTER, SUSHI)
- digital objects: full-text sources (e.g. DOAJ, Project Gutenberg, etc), digitised objects (how to describe nested aggregations of files with OAI-ORE) [abartov, aseiler]
Publishing citations, e.g. best practice for citations in RDF http://www.semanticoverflow.com/questions/963/best-vocabulary-for-converting-bibtex-to-rdf/971
A mail about CITO http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lld/2010Dec/0059.html
"Application profiles" Specifying/documenting the content of metadata for use by other information producers and by information consumers [Tom, ahaffner, Jschneid4, keckert, kcoyle, jphipps, abartov]
LLD. Applying SemWeb Technology to Library Data (Implementation)
kc: Some of the actual details that need to be resolved for our data. I like Jeff's suggestion that we use OWL as a measure. My experience is that the models that we do have in the library world (mainly the FR's) are under-modeled from a formal standpoint, and will need some modification to transform them from conceptual model to a formal model. The conceptual model will tell us what library thinkers intend, and it is important that the formal model adhere to that intention as much as possible. Ideally there would be some iteration with the developers of the FR's around implementation.
Available pools of linked data (inventory): quality, granularity, link integrity, vocabulary usage [gneher, ahaffner, rsinger, antoine, kcoyle, jphipps, aseiler]
Status of library-related vocabularies in development (inventory: RDA, FR family, ISBD, MARC ...) [jyoung4, wwaites2, GordonD, rsinger, dlukose, emmanuelle, jphipps, abartov, aseiler]
Translation of data in MARC format to linked data [wwaites2, GordonD, rsinger, dlukose, antoine, kcoyle, emmanuelle, jphipps, aseiler]
Was also LLD.COMMON-MODEL
Populating reference data models when legacy data is not perfectly fitting (see this thread on partial FRBR data) Characteristics of a common model that embraces the legacy of MARC data and the abstractions of FRBR, and makes evident how such a model could be grown coherently to include the varieties of other metadata relevant to the community? [jphipps, GordonD, abartov, aseiler, antoine]
Note: was also LLD.PERSON-NAMES
Integrating library concept of authorities into Semantic Web model; authority records as vocabularies, and/or as real-world entities. Best practice for the description of personal names and name variants [kcoyle, abartov, RayD]
Applying FRBR, FRAD, RDA, ISBD, MARC [jyoung4, ahaffner, Jschneid4, wwaites2, emmanuelle, abartov, aseiler]
Check if and how to use SKOS to describe integrated KOS or mapping results. [marcia, keckert]
From the F2F Minutes :
"next: [LLD. SKOS-FOR-INTEGRATED-KOS]
marcia: making connections between vocabs; alignments ... generate superstructure behind linked vocabularies, like UMLS and HILT ... use case bernard and gordon from user point of view find things without being aware of underlying diff vocabs ... available tool or facility; still gap if it's not linked data
kcoyle: include in use case exploration:
GordonD: existing research into relations that appeared. ... a while ago, a group came up with 15 relations for vocabulary alignment. SKOS looked at this and rejected the complexity. But there is a requirement for something more complex than SKOS, particularly in the subject area, in order to provide terminology services to end users. ... simplistic relations are not adequate for use case in cluster of vocab merging
marcia: could be use case based on that ... Terminology mapping backend - available terminology registries - already there, but no link yet with Linked data environment.
emma: put in use case
michaelp: terminology registry use case or a mapping use case?
GordonD: use case that refers to existing research papers; This problem has been well-researched, HILT reports on interoperability - show the complexity. ... we can re-use the SKOS use case for HILT and cite them here - also important in establishing the relationship between SKOS and ...
ACTION: GordonD and antoine to study use cases that relate to vocabulary merging use case [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/24-lld-minutes.html#action01]"
Confirm the use of SKOS for multilingual KOS vocabularies. [marcia, bvatant, keckert, jphipps, abartov]
Using SKOS to describe knowledge organization systems (KOS) that have been used by library, archive, and museum communities (LCSH, RAMEAU, AAT, RGN, TGM I and II, DDC, etc.) [marcia, bvatant, ndelaforge, keckert, GordonD, AMicsik, dlukose, jphipps]
Dilemma between skos:concept and foaf:person (rda:person, frbr:person, frad:person) for person authorities [jyoung4, ahaffner, bvatant, ndelaforge, keckert, wwaites2, rsinger, marma, emmanuelle, abartov]
Check if SKOS extensions are needed for describing particular types of KOS (term list, name authority file (not limited to agents and works), digital gazetteer, list of subject headings, taxonomy, thesauri, classification, etc.) and provide SKOSified KOS examples. [marcia, keckert]
Use of Identifiers for and in LLD [GordonD, dlukose, emmanuelle]
Identifiers for libraries and other institutions? ISIL, possibly urn:isil: namespace [abartov, aseiler]
Reuse or urlification of traditional identifiers [jyoung4, aseiler]
Namespace policies [keckert, RayD, TomB]
SW. Semantic Web Environmental Issues
kc: these are issues that are generally not directly related to library data, but to the application of the Semantic Web principles to data. Some (most?) of these need to be resolved s we create LLD.
Use of Identifiers [GordonD, dlukose, emmanuelle, jphipps, abartov]
- HTTP URIs, DOIs, handles, ARKs, shorteners, hash, slash, 303 redirects, PURLs [jyoung4, ndelaforge, keckert, digikim, emmanuelle, aseiler]
- Identifiers for properties and classes, concepts, and "real world things" [bvatant, keckert, RayD]
REST patterns for Linked Data [jyoung4, ndelaforge, keckert, digikim, AMicsik, jphipps, abartov]
Linking across datasets [digikim, dlukose, antoine, jphipps, abartov]
How much linking is there? What links to what? [Jschneid4, GordonD]
Alignment (cross-linking) of vocabularies [GordonD, AMicsik, dlukose, antoine, abartov]
- Interoperability, "mapping frameworks", etc
- Alignment of element sets [ahaffner]
- Alignment of authorities [jyoung4, abartov]
Alignment of real-world-resource identifiers [bvatant, abartov]
The Linked Data paradigm and the Metadata Record paradigm [GordonD, AMicsik, dlukose, emmanuelle, jphipps]
Models for packaging Linked Data in records, e.g., Named Graphs [jyoung4, keckert, emmanuelle]
Provenance of Linked Data [keckert, wwaites2, rsinger, emmanuelle, jphipps, abartov, aseiler]
Extraction of semantic data (see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jul/0061.html for a finer categorization) [aconstan]
DATA. Management of data and distribution
kc: hosting, maintenance, system stability.
Linked data management, hosting, and preservation [digikim, GordonD, kcoyle, emmanuelle, jphipps, aseiler]
Vocabulary-specific aspects of management, hosting, and presentation [digikim, GordonD, kcoyle, jphipps]
Versioning, updates [bvatant, rsinger, antoine, emmanuelle]
Dissemination mechanisms: RDF schemas, RDFa, bulk download, feeds, SPARQL... [jyoung4, keckert, digikim, dlukose, antoine, jphipps]
Discuss how to reflect changes in a concept scheme in linked data set(s). What are new challenges and approaches? [marcia, bvatant, keckert]
How to deal with obsolete concepts? [bvatant, ndelaforge, keckert, wwaites2]
Caching strategies [ndelaforge, keckert, digikim]
Ontology discovery and dissemination . How to disseminate ontologies so that they will be discovered; how to discover ontologies for use. [kcoyle, jphipps, aconstan].
MGT. Community and Management Issues
kc: questions that are more political and organizational than technical
What obstacles do libraries, museums, archives, publishers, currently face in publishing and managing Linked Data? How can the obstacles be removed? What role for libraries? [jyoung4, ndelaforge, digikim, GordonD, rsinger, dlukose, emmanuelle]
Licenses, IP, DRM, other availability/rights/access restriction info (e.g., http://openbiblio.net/principles/) [antoine, kcoyle, emmanuelle, aseiler]
Workflows or roadmaps for different kinds Linked Data projects [keckert, emmanuelle]
Examples of business models of managing linked library resources (metadata, vocabulary, and KOS resources) [digikim]
Common patterns in Linked Data, with examples, and with best practices for "Linked Data friendly" output from traditional library data - to provide guidance and save time - maybe several best practices when there are several good ways to solve a problem.
Community-building, education and outreach
Need for training and documentation (a Linked Data primer for libraries ?) [gneher, Jschneid4, keckert, digikim, antoine, emmanuelle, aseiler]
Mapping Linked Data terminology to library terminology and concepts [kcoyle]
Liaison with standardisation bodies and initiatives (ISO and national bodies, IFLA, International Council on Archives, CIDOC...) [GordonD, emmanuelle]
Outreach to other communities (archives, museums, publishers, the Web) [Jschneid4, GordonD, antoine]
How to announce new efforts, build appropriate communities around those efforts, get the right players to the table. [kcoyle]
Category:MGT.NEXT-STEPS Next steps
Future working groups? In W3C, in library world, or elsewhere? [digikim, emmanuelle]
Set up other groups to define best practices - what is needed to make that doable for other groups with more time/broader scope?
USE. Consuming and using library data
Pulling in linked data for end users
Computational use of library linked data
Linked data to enhance professional processes or workflows, for librarians, cataloguers, etc.
- abartov = Asaf Bartov, Project Ben-Yehuda; Wikimedia Israel
- aconstan = Alexandru Constantin, University of Manchester, UK
- antoine = Antoine Isaac, VUA & Europeana, Netherlands
- aseiler = Anette Seiler, hbz, Germany
- bvatant = Bernard Vatant, Mondeca
- digikim = Kim Viljanen, Aalto University, Finland
- dlukose = Dickson Lukose, MIMOS BHD, Malaysia
- edsu = Ed Summers, Library of Congress
- emmanuelle = Emmanuelle Bermes, BnF
- GordonD = Gordon Dunsire
- jar =jrees = Jonathan Rees, Creative Commons, US
- jphipps = Jon Phipps, JES & Co.
- jodi=JSchneid4 = Jodi Schneider, DERI Galway
- jyoung4 = Jeff Young, OCLC Research
- kcoyle = Karen Coyle
- LarsG = Lars G. Svensson, DNB, Germany
- marcia = Marcia Zeng, Kent State U. US
- markva = Mvanasse = Mark van Assem, VU University, Amsterdam
- matolat = Tod Matola, OCLC
- ndelaforge = Nicolas Delaforge, INRIA Sophia-Antipolis France
- pmurray = Peter Murray, LYRASIS, US
- rayd = Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress
- rsinger = Ross Singer, Talis
- tomb = Tom Baker
- whalb = Wolfgang Halb, JOANNEUM RESEARCH
- gneher = Günther Neher, University of Applied Sciences Potsdam
- monica = Monica Duke, UKOLN representing JISC, UK
- fsasaki = Felix Sasaki (DFKI / Univ. of appl. Sciences Potsdam)
Use Cases vs. Topics Table