A bit of history
Web ontology languages:
- Ontology Aimed at the Web grew as research area in the 1990s.
- In the late 90s the US and EU govts began to invest.
- 1999 - DAML: The DARPA Agent Markup Language Program
- 2000 - OIL: EU IST Project (Framework 5, 6)
- Mar 2001 - DAML+OIL 1.0 spec submitted as W3C note
- developed by "US/EU ad hoc Joint Committee on Agent Markup Language" (joint US/EU govt and industry funding)
- Based on W3C RDF recommendation
- Nov 2002 - Web
Ontology Working Group chartered to bring DAML+OIL to a web recommendation
- 50 members from 30 W3C organizations