Databinding WG Teleconference
27 Jun 2006


See also: IRC log


Jon Calladine, (BT)
George Cowe (Origo Services)
Paul Downey (Chair, BT)
Yves Lafon (W3C)



pauld: next week is July 4th, does anyone object to meeting?

omnes: huh?

pauld: OK, we meet next week as usual :-)

pauld:if there's interest we could book a table at The Rex cinema monday of our F2F:


planning to publish Last Call Working Draft around next F2F

would like to not formally meet during August

planning to work towards an interop event for advanced patterns, possibly in Boston during December close to XML 2006

pauld: presented to WS-I, had some push back, which I blogged: http://blog.whatfettle.com/archives/000397.html

discussion around using Relax mapping as a profile

jonc: little experience or interest in the WG around this approach

pauld: suggest we ensure Trang generated patterns are covered in our Advanced document

ISSUE-12: identifying a conformant schema

pauld: done nothing on this since we last spoke
... suggest task will become easier once we have test cases published

ISSUE-2: WSDL and the Test Suite (Auto-generation of )

pauld: took exploding sed scripts from Yves and turned themround into one stylesheet per target: instance, soap11, soap12, wsdl, schemas
... being driven by a single patterns.xml

yves: suggest using xinclude from xmlspec to include patterns and examples

pauld: separated out examples from patterns, associated by links

ISSUE-4: Collection of Databinding Implementations

pauld: been testing with toolkits, building a list of what we need to know to test a toolkit
.. been working with .NET, Mono, Axis 1.x and SOAP4r toolkits

pauld: wondered about recording this on a wiki so others can easily contribute:


yves: not a big fan of wikis, maybe an issue with access control over pages containing licesnes etc

<scribe> ACTION: ylafon to investigate use of wiki [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/27-databinding-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-50 - Investigate use of wiki [on Yves Lafon - due 2006-07-04].

pauld: alternative is to get people to send mail and just build an index from that

ISSUE-34: multiple schemas for a single namespace

still an open issue in BP, not over yet, WG will solict schema WG's advice

ISSUE-9: Support for xs:union

jonc: published a pattern, the Pete Hendry pointed an obvious issue with the order of the types
... we need to either have more examples, or have separate patterns for specific combinations
... xsi:type may also play a role here
... which way do we go?
... with instance documents, should we use xsi:type to test failure conditions

pauld: is the order of the filters a design consideration?
... we can also have more than two simple types, combinations explosive

jonc: design consideration could spell out what makes sense, could duplicate xml schema spec
... been using tools to play with combinations, but how exhaustive should I be?
... maybe we should do some inductive reasoning, just try 2, and 4 or 5

pauld: so I'm wondering what we expect tools to do with union "xs:date xs:string"

jonc: should we also include anti-pattern instance documents?

pauld: see no problem in having 'bad' instance documents
... just annotate bad documents is important

discussion of 47! combinations, may be reduced by non-sensible combinations


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: ylafon to investigate use of wiki [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/27-databinding-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.127 (CVS log)
$Date: 2006/07/04 14:40:40 $