Web Services Addressing WG Teleconference

29 Aug 2005


Abbie Barbir (Nortel Networks)
Andreas Bjärlestam (ERICSSON)
Vikas Deolaliker (Sonoa Systems, Inc.)
Michael Eder (Nokia)
Robert Freund (Hitachi, Ltd.)
Marc Goodner (Microsoft Corporation)
Arun Gupta (Sun Microsystems, Inc.)
Hugo Haas (W3C)
Marc Hadley (Sun Microsystems, Inc.)
David Hull (TIBCO Software, Inc.)
Yin-Leng Husband (HP)
Anish Karmarkar (Oracle Corporation)
Paul Knight (Nortel Networks)
Mark Little (Arjuna Technologies Ltd.)
Jonathan Marsh (Microsoft Corporation)
Jeff Mischkinsky (Oracle Corporation)
Nilo Mitra (ERICSSON)
Mark Peel (Novell, Inc.)
Tony Rogers (Computer Associates)
Tom Rutt (Fujitsu Limited)
Steve Vinoski (IONA Technologies, Inc.)
Katy Warr (IBM Corporation)
Pete Wenzel (SeeBeyond Technology Corporation)
Steve Winkler (SAP AG)
Ümit Yalçınalp (SAP AG)
Prasad Yendluri (webMethods, Inc.)
Ugo Corda (SeeBeyond Technology Corporation)
Dave Chappell (Sonic Software)
Francisco Curbera (IBM Corporation)
Glen Daniels (Sonic Software)
Jacques Durand (Fujitsu Limited)
Yaron Goland (BEA Systems, Inc.)
Martin Gudgin (Microsoft Corporation)
Amelia Lewis (TIBCO Software, Inc.)
Philippe Le Hégaret (W3C)
Eisaku Nishiyama (Hitachi, Ltd.)
Ales Novy (Systinet Inc.)
Rich Salz (DataPower Technology, Inc.)
Rebecca Bergersen (IONA Technologies, Inc.)
Paul Downey (BT)
David Orchard (BEA Systems, Inc.)
Mark Nottingham
Pete Wenzel


Date: 29 Aug 2005

<scribe> Scribe: Pete Wenzel

Agenda review, AOB

Mark has sent a reminder to those who have not yet registered for the

September F2F. Bob has logistical changes that will be mailed to

the list.

Call for corrections to the minutes

2005-08-22: <http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/addr/5/08/22-ws-addr-minutes.html>

Minutes accepted without objection.

Review action items <http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/addr/admin#actionitems>


WSDL document review


Jonathan describes schema annotations that may be helpful in referencing a

web service object. Those who are not also members of WSD WG and involved

in the design process are especially welcome to review. Syntax is good

for both WSDL 1.1 and 2.0, but the features are described only in terms

of 2.0.

MarkN requests reviewers. Suggest having 4 people, one for each part.

Due by Sept 8.

DavidH: Already reviewing core; will take that.

Tony: Will review primer.

Katy: SOAP 1.1 Binding document, plus SOAP 1.2 Binding (Section 5)

of Adjuncts

MarcG: Remainder of Adjuncts document (MEPs, HTTP Binding).

MarkN: Reviewers are expected to identify areas of relevance for

discussion by this WG, not necessarily a complete list of problems.

Will discuss on 9/12 call, try to have results to WSD WG that week.

i061 - Action without UsingAddressing

Arun reviews his email discussing the issue and alternatives:


and expresses a preference for option #2.

Anish: Agree with Jonathan that we need to discuss client messages,

not server behavior. Don't like 1; 2 & 4 seem reasonable.

Katy: Preference for option 4; action 2 is overloading wsa:Action.

DavidH: Some of these options are not compatible with servers who don't

know about WSA.

Umit: Difference between 2 & 4 is whether or not we infer or specify

the use of WSA.

Jonathan: Can we replace "honored" with "understood", as in


Arun: Yes.

Jonathan agrees to take an action to produce a new proposal, reflecting

the discussion just held.

i062 - "Fault:" interacts with [delimiter]

Jonathan reviews his message:


Proposal is to close issue with option #1 in this email.

No one wishes to discuss further; issue is closed as proposed without


WSDL component model (Proposed WD) <http://www.w3.org/mid/20050824140229.GU25190@w3.org>

MarkN: Propose to categorize this as editorial, bring it to editors'


MarcH: Helpful to the editorial process if it is assigned an issue number.

MarkN: Will open and close an issue for this.

No objections to this disposition.

<scribe> Closed (as i063?).

[Details] for wsa:ActionMismatch Subsubcode (CR) <http://www.w3.org/mid/430F5EFA.8010601@sun.com>

Arun introduces his issue and proposed solution.

Jonathan: This is really 2 issues; one a typo, one a simplification.

Proposal: Replace wsa:ActionMismatch with wsa:ProblemAction.

Opened new issue proposing to remove wsa:ProblemHeader and

wsa: ProblemHeaderQName in this case. ??

Candidate Recommendation

- testable features list

- expressions of interest in testing TF

No volunteers yet to form a TF.

Arun walks through his list of testable features:


Hugo: Need to add corner cases to this list.

MarkN: Need some offline discussion to move this forward.

Anish agrees to offer guidance as well. Suggests adding markers to

the spec to identify/reference features.

i020 - Addressing and WSDL

Proposal 1: <http://www.w3.org/mid/41ED99B7.3030009@oracle.com>

Anish reviews the proposal.

Jonathan: Problem: we removed the distinction between physical and

logical addresses.

Anish will update the proposal, possibly positioning it as guidance,

and discuss use cases.

i056 - Determining the value of the [destination] property from WSDL

Proposal 1: <http://www.w3.org/mid/425A1F2F.6030900@oracle.com>

Proposal 2: <http://www.w3.org/mid/425A1F2F.6030900@oracle.com>

Proposal 3: <http://www.w3.org/mid/425A1F2F.6030900@oracle.com>

Proposal 4: <http://www.w3.org/mid/425A1F2F.6030900@oracle.com>

Proposal 5: <http://www.w3.org/mid/425A1F2F.6030900@oracle.com>

Proposal 6: <http://www.w3.org/mid/44882f49347dca772f73f35d0ecb5738@Sun.COM>

MarkN: Review proposal 6, will vote at next meeting.

Reminder to review WSDL document. Will likely take CR vote at F2F.

Meeting adjourned at 2:58pm US-Pacific.

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.127 (CVS log)
$Date: 2005/09/12 19:53:55 $