A Brief History of Web Ontology Work
- Ontology work goes back
many years in fields of philosophy, Library Science, Knowledge
- Ontology Aimed at the Web grew as research area
in the 1990s.
- 1995 - SHOE (Simple HTML Ontology
Extensions), Univ of Md.
- 1996/7 - Ontobroker, Univ. of
- 1997-1999 - OIL (Ontology Interchange Level),
Amsterdam led EU project
- Spin-off from Govt Investment in
Semantic Web Technology
- 1999 - The DARPA Agent Markup
- 2000 - EU IST Project (Framework 5, 6)
- 2000 some US National Science Foundation funding
proposed - govt "jumpstart" activities in Japan and Australia
- Standardization Efforts
- 1996- Meta-Content
- 1997 - W3C Metadata Activity (RDF
- 2000-03 - DAML 0.5 released
2001-03 - DAML+OIL 1.0 spec developed by "US/EU ad hoc Joint
Committee on Agent Markup Language"
- 2002-11 - Web Ontology Working Group