Re: [xmlProfiles-29] xml subsetting in IETF XMPP

N.B.: This page is a copy of a real mailing list archive generated to test the proposed mailing lists archives improvements.

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, Apr 01 2003
To: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
CC: Fabrice Desré <fabrice.desre@francetelecom.com>, "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, <www-tag@w3.org>

On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, 8:44:11 PM, Noah wrote:

NMCI> I >>think< this means that XMPP has chosen a usage convention
NMCI> for XML that's pretty much identical to the one chosen by SOAP.

I think so too - no internal or external DTD subsets, no PI, no
comments.

Interesting that they are both protocol-level usages of XML.

NMCI> XMPP may have been influenced by SOAP, but I have no reason to
NMCI> believe the reverse is true. Perhaps we came to the same
NMCI> conclusion independently?

That would be interesting.

NMCI> (I still prefer the term "usage convention" to "subset" insofar
NMCI> as I am not aware of any intention on the part of Soap designers
NMCI> or XMLP to define any sort of general purpose subset of
NMCI> XML...the intention was to never send soap messages that use XML
NMCI> features inappropriate to our needs, and therefore to allow the
NMCI> opportunity for SOAP receivers to optimize accordingly should
NMCI> they choose to do so. Whether or not to use a general purpose
NMCI> SOAP parser at a SOAP receiver is an implementation choice at
NMCI> that receiver. Yes, an implementation choosing to use such a
NMCI> general purpose parser must ensure that no proscribed
NMCI> constructions have been used.)

This sounds fine until the conformant behavior on getting a message
with a PI, a comment, a DOCTYPE is defined, and put in the test suite.