ISSUE-24: Can a specification include rules for overriding HTTPcontent type parameters?

contentTypeOverride-24

Can a specification include rules for overriding HTTPcontent type parameters?

State:
OPEN
Product:
HTML 5 review
Raised by:
Larry Masinter
Opened on:
2002-06-14
Description:
Rank: high

Shepherd: Larry Masinter

Deliverables:
??? (note that there's something in Webarch about this, so we might need to do an update/erratum if we change our minds)

community: HTML WG, HTTP WG, Webmasters, Web authors, browser developers, extension developers

"agreed on 4 Dec 2003

The 3 Dec 2003 Editor's Draft of the Architecture Document accurately represents the TAG's position on the authoritative nature of server messages. "
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#contentTypeOverride-24

"For me this questions depends on whether the document type is a human-readable hypertext document, when generic hypertext xml tools would benefit from knowing what is a link, and whether significance of the URI in question is a hypertext link or something different.

Maybe a compromise is to only allow the link to specify the content-type when the server is FTP (or something else with no content-type control) or the HTTP server returns text/plain or octet-steam, which seem to be used for "don't know" types."
-- TimBL http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Jun/0116.html

On 21 May 2009, we agreed not to schedule discussion of this issue until Larry makes progress on ACTION-261. We also agreed Noah would make preliminary inquiries with Mark Nottingham and Lisa Dessault per ACTION-257 to see whether there are dates between now and mid-July when they might join us on a teleconference.

Related Actions Items:
Related emails:
  1. Summary and minutes of the 12-13 June 2013 Advisory Board face-to-face meeting (from coralie@w3.org on 2013-07-18)
  2. Draft Minutes of 18-20 March TAG F2F now available for review (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2013-04-11)
  3. Draft minutes of the 8-10 February 2011 TAG F2F Meeting are now available (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-02-21)
  4. Draft minutes of the 8-10 February 2011 TAG F2F Meeting are now available (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-02-21)
  5. ISSUE-24: Sniffing and the HTML5 <video> tag (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-02-11)
  6. Draft Minutes for the June 17 Telcon (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2010-06-18)
  7. Re: Agenda for TAG teleconference of 17 June 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-06-17)
  8. Agenda for TAG F2F Meeting 7-9 June 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-06-01)
  9. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 20 May 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-05-19)
  10. Draft minutes for the TAG teleconference of 22 April 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-05-02)
  11. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 22 April 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-04-21)
  12. minutes TAG meeting 24-26 March in Cambridge, MA, USA for review (from connolly@w3.org on 2010-04-12)
  13. Draft Agenda of 24-26 March 2010 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-03-19)
  14. TAG Members: please reviews status of issues you 'shepherd' by Monday, 8 March (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-03-03)
  15. TAG telcon minutes for 25 Feb 2010 (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2010-03-02)
  16. Re: Amended draft minutes of TAG teleconference, 4th February 2010 (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2010-02-08)
  17. Amended draft minutes of TAG teleconference, 4th February 2010 (from john@jkemp.net on 2010-02-05)
  18. Draft minutes of TAG teleconference, 4th February 2009 (from john@jkemp.net on 2010-02-05)
  19. Re: suggestions for next week's agenda as a result of today's meeting (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-02-04)
  20. suggestions for next week's agenda as a result of today's meeting (from connolly@w3.org on 2010-02-04)
  21. Re: comments on draft-abarth-mime-sniff-03 (from david@dbooth.org on 2010-01-22)
  22. comments on draft-abarth-mime-sniff-03 (from masinter@adobe.com on 2010-01-20)
  23. Re: Agenda and required reading for the 8-10 December 2009 TAG F2F (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-12-07)
  24. Re: Agenda and required reading for the 8-10 December 2009 TAG F2F (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-12-03)
  25. Agenda and required reading for the 8-10 December 2009 TAG F2F (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-12-02)
  26. agenda for TAG meeting 8-10 Dec (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-11-25)
  27. please update overdue actions as input to Dec f2f agenda (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-11-09)
  28. Tag F2F Session on Content-type sniffing (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-09-11)
  29. Re: Draft minutes of 2009-08-27 TAG weekly (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-09-02)
  30. Draft minutes of 2009-08-27 TAG weekly (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2009-09-01)
  31. Re: W3C TAG interest in Content-type 'sniffing' (from lisa.dusseault@gmail.com on 2009-09-01)
  32. Re: W3C TAG interest in Content-type 'sniffing' (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-09-01)
  33. Re: W3C TAG interest in Content-type 'sniffing' (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-09-01)
  34. Re: W3C TAG interest in Content-type 'sniffing' (from mnot@mnot.net on 2009-09-01)
  35. Re: W3C TAG interest in Content-type 'sniffing' (from lisa.dusseault@gmail.com on 2009-08-31)
  36. Re: W3C TAG interest in Content-type 'sniffing' (from mnot@mnot.net on 2009-08-31)
  37. W3C TAG interest in Content-type 'sniffing' (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-08-28)
  38. Re: stability of content type sniffing algorithm? contentTypeOverride-24 / issue-24 (from mnot@mnot.net on 2009-06-05)
  39. stability of content type sniffing algorithm? contentTypeOverride-24 / issue-24 (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-05-28)
  40. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 28 May 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-27)
  41. Content sniffing and contacts with Mark Nottingham and Lisa Dusseult (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-26)
  42. Draft minutes of TAG teleconference of 21 May 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-26)
  43. RE: [ISSUE-27] What are chances of progress on ACTION-265 in time for the 21 May TAG Teleconference (also ISSUE-24) (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-21)
  44. RE: [ISSUE-27] What are chances of progress on ACTION-265 in time for the 21 May TAG Teleconference (also ISSUE-24) (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-05-20)
  45. Agenda for 21 May 2009 TAG Teleconference and Start of F2F Agenda Planning (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-19)
  46. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 7 May 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-05)
  47. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 23 April 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-16)
  48. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 16 April 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-15)
  49. Re: TAG telcon of 2009-04-09: Draft minutes (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-14)
  50. Re: TAG telcon of 2009-04-09: Draft minutes (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-13)
  51. Re: TAG telcon of 2009-04-09: Draft minutes (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2009-04-13)
  52. Re: TAG telcon of 2009-04-09: Draft minutes (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-13)
  53. Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 9 April 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-07)
  54. Approved minutes of the TAG F2F of 3-5 March 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-02)
  55. Setting TAG Priorities - Review of discussion and planning to date (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-03-22)
  56. RE: Agenda for TAG teleconference of 12 March 2009 (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-03-11)
  57. RE: Agenda for TAG teleconference of 12 March 2009 (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-03-10)
  58. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 12 March 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-03-10)
  59. Re: 'Content-Type Processing Model' draft 9 Jan (ISSUE-24 contentTypeOverride-24) (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-03-02)
  60. Agenda for TAG Face-to-Face Meeting, 3-5 March 2009 (Redwood Shores, CA) (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-25)
  61. Re: 'Content-Type Processing Model' draft 9 Jan (ISSUE-24 contentTypeOverride-24) (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-24)
  62. Re: 'Content-Type Processing Model' draft 9 Jan (ISSUE-24 contentTypeOverride-24) (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-02-24)
  63. 'Content-Type Processing Model' draft 9 Jan (ISSUE-24 contentTypeOverride-24) (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-02-24)
  64. TAG Telcn Agenda, 6th Nov 2008: Content Transformation Guidelines; urnsAndRegistries-50; Webarch and WS; tagSoupIntegration-54; uriBasedPackageAccess-61; TPAC Followup; F2F Planning. (from skw@hp.com on 2008-11-05)
  65. Agenda Draft for 6th Nov (was RE: TAG Tecon 6th Nov: Request for Agenda Items.) (from skw@hp.com on 2008-11-04)
  66. Re: Draft agenda for TAG telcon 16th Sept 2008 available (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2008-09-02)
  67. Draft agenda for TAG telcon 16th Sept 2008 available (from skw@hp.com on 2008-09-02)
  68. TAG 'back-to-school' Telcon Agenda: 28th Aug 2008: Review Requests; F2F Agenda; UrnsAndRegistries-50; passwordsInTheClear-52; contentTypeOverride-24; tagSoupIntegration-54 (from skw@hp.com on 2008-08-28)
  69. Initial Draft agenda for 28th Aug TAG telcon. (from skw@hp.com on 2008-08-26)
  70. Draft minutes from TAG telcon of 2008-07-24, plain text (from ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) on 2008-07-25)
  71. TAG Telcon Agenda for 24th July 2008: contentTypeOverride-24; tagsoupIntegration-54; UrnsAndRegistries-50 (from skw@hp.com on 2008-07-23)
  72. Draft agenda for TAG Telcon 24th July 2008 (from skw@hp.com on 2008-07-22)
  73. TAG Telcon cancelled this week (was RE: TAG Weekly Telcon Agenda: 17th July 2008: contentTypeOverride-24; tagSoupIntegration-54; urnsAndregistries-50) (from skw@hp.com on 2008-07-17)
  74. TAG Weekly Telcon Agenda: 17th July 2008: contentTypeOverride-24; tagSoupIntegration-54; urnsAndregistries-50 (from skw@hp.com on 2008-07-16)
  75. Draft agenda fro Thursdays TAG call (17th July) (from skw@hp.com on 2008-07-15)
  76. RE: Draft minutes of TAG telecon of 10 July 2008 (from Misha.Wolf@thomsonreuters.com on 2008-07-14)
  77. Draft minutes of TAG telecon of 10 July 2008 (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2008-07-11)
  78. TAG Telcon Agenda for 10th July 2008: UrnsAndRegistries-50; contentTypeOverride-24 (from skw@hp.com on 2008-07-09)
  79. Draft Telcon Agenda for 10th July available for review. (from skw@hp.com on 2008-07-08)
  80. RE: TAG Telcon Agenda for 31st January 2008: 2008 F2F Schedule; tagSoupIntegration-54; contentTypeOverride-24;passwordsInTheClear-52;Vancouver F2F. (from skw@hp.com on 2008-01-30)
  81. Re: TAG Telcon Agenda for 31st January 2008: 2008 F2F Schedule; tagSoupIntegration-54; contentTypeOverride-24;passwordsInTheClear-52;Vancouver F2F. (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2008-01-30)
  82. TAG Telcon Agenda for 31st January 2008: 2008 F2F Schedule; tagSoupIntegration-54; contentTypeOverride-24;passwordsInTheClear-52;Vancouver F2F. (from skw@hp.com on 2008-01-30)
  83. Re: ISSUE-24: A compromise on authoritative metadata using Accept? (from distobj@acm.org on 2007-09-14)
  84. RE: ISSUE-24: A compromise on authoritative metadata using Accept? (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2007-09-14)
  85. RE: ISSUE-24: A compromise on authoritative metadata using Accept? (from rhys@volantis.com on 2007-09-14)
  86. ISSUE-24: A compromise on authoritative metadata using Accept? (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2007-09-14)
  87. minutes TAG weekly 13 Sep for review: contentTypeOverride-24, XMLVersioning-41 (from connolly@w3.org on 2007-09-13)
  88. TAG Telcon Agenda: 13th September 2007: [XMLVersioning-41; UrnsAndRegistries-50; contenttypeOverride-24; abbreviatedURIs-56] (from skw@hp.com on 2007-09-11)
  89. Minutes of 23 February 2004 TAG Teleconference (from on 2004-02-23)
  90. Minutes of 26 January 2004 TAG teleconference (from on 2004-01-26)
  91. Minutes of 15 December 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-12-15)
  92. Minutes of 4 December 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-12-04)
  93. Minutes of 6-8 October 2003 TAG face-to-face meeting in Bristol (from on 2003-10-08)
  94. Minutes of 6-8 October 2003 TAG face-to-face meeting in Bristol (from on 2003-10-08)
  95. Minutes of 7 July 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-07-07)
  96. Minutes of 30 June 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-06-30)
  97. Minutes of 23 June 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-06-23)
  98. Minutes of 16 June 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-06-16)
  99. Minutes of 12 May 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-05-12)
  100. Minutes of 5 May 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-05-05)
  101. Minutes of 7 Apr 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-04-07)
  102. Minutes of 24 Mar 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-03-24)
  103. Minutes of 6-7 Feb 2003 TAG ftf meeting (from on 2003-02-06)
  104. Minutes of 4 December 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2002-12-05)
  105. Minutes of 22 July 2002 TAG teleconference (from on 2002-07-22)
  106. Bad practice: Overriding HTTP content-type with a URI reference (from Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org> on 2002-06-14)

Related notes:

Original issue: http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#contentTypeOverride-24

Henry S. Thompson, 4 Sep 2008, 12:57:34

Approved finding Authorative Metadata: http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/mime-respect-20060412

Henry S. Thompson, 4 Sep 2008, 12:59:12

Note that mime-web-info (action-454) reads on this in particular.

Larry Masinter, 27 Oct 2010, 03:57:15

issue-66 on "mime and the web" takes a broader perspective on content-type labeling, and is related.

Larry Masinter, 1 Nov 2010, 11:29:30

Display change log ATOM feed


Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Peter Linss <w3c@linss.com>, Daniel Appelquist <appelquist@gmail.com>, Chairs, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.326 2018/10/13 17:29:51 vivien Exp $