See also: IRC log
<scribe> Scribe: DanC
<DanC_> minutes 19 Sep
RESOLUTION: to accept minutes 19 Sep
VQ: last time we talked was a while ago, but I see http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/URNsAndRegistries-50.xml v 1.21 2006/08/17 19:23:58 dorchard
DO: I made some edits to the last
3 sections prompted by comments from David Booth...
... I think David said "they're better, but not exactly right yet"
HST: feedback I'm getting is "for
readers who don't know much, this might help a little, but for
participants in these discussions, this isn't likely to be
persuasive. You need more [detial?]"
... I [intend to write too www-tag?] about the scenario where somebody makes links to foo.com and then somebody else buys that domain and makes those links go goofy
... in sum, I'd like ftf time on this
... I gather the XRI [spec?] has moved a lot since I reviewed it
TBL: how so?
HST: they've moved to the point
where the primary result of looking up an XRI is an XML
document that gives metadata and lookup information. And they
intend to provide all the functionality of DNS. [?]
... and they're moving to names for automobile parts and such, much like the semantic web [and unlike LSID in some way?]
TBL: I drafted, but didn't send
to www-tag, some stuff about the social issues around
... the social chain of trust is perhaps the dominant issue in this discussion.
... the only way to avoid trusting something outside your community is that each community's web is disjoint from the others.
HST: the "what happens if foo.com goes goofy?" question can't be addressed without talking about where the levers of power are and who can pull them.
(... discussion of how LSIDs are acutally being deployed, and how they interact with HTTP, and how they could use relative links...)
<Zakim> DanC, you wanted to note the awkward timing of TAG meeting 4-5 Oct 2006, Vancouver vs. HCLSIG meeting October 3 to 4, Amsterdam
<ht> Taken from this page: http://lsid.biopathways.org/resolver/
(more discussion that the scribe is too busy taking part in to record...)
<scribe> ACTION: DanC to find timbl's draft, give it to Ivan Herman in preparation for HCLSIG meeting in Amsterdam [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/09/26-tagmem-irc]
<DanC_> (my message about trying to use LSID software http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-semweb-lifesci/2006Jul/0267.html )
<scribe> ACTION: HT to update draft finding URNs, Namespaces and Registries, with David [CONTINUES] from 18 Apr 2006 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/09/26-tagmem-irc]
<ht> URNsAndRegistries-50 has at least one fan: http://lists.musicbrainz.org/pipermail/playlist/2006-August/001037.html
NM: I still think this is an
issue that people run into...
... I'm interested in discussion at the ftf, but not pushing it...
... from what I can tell, it's not really clear at all what's the TAG position; this is more than just an editorial exercise
DC: where does this come up for me... I guess... "how many of skype/irc/jabber are worth introducing?"
NM: there's also the case of
streaming media, where I think we concluded http is still the
... Dan, are you pushing for a meta scheme like chat:?
DC: Maybe. There seems to be a social issue about differing registration models for e.g., skype vs. jabber
NM: Yes. Seems vaguely related to differing expectations for http: vs https:, I.e. that they sort of do the same thing, but with differing expectations for the care taken in ensuring the correct resolution
<scribe> ACTION: NM to produce a new version of URI Schemes and Web Protocols [CONTINUES] [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/09/26-tagmem-irc]
VQ: so perhaps this is not sufficiently mature for ftf discussion
Noah is excused.
Ed: I have made some progress,
and have gotten some feedback, of the form "you need to deal
with display, not just transmission of the password"...
... should be ready in the next week or so... oh... ftf is sooner than that... ok, I'll get something out before the ftf
<scribe> ACTION: ER to produce first draft "No passwords in the clear" finding [CONTINUES] [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/09/26-tagmem-irc]
DO: no progress lately; below
versioning on my stack
... and below URNsRegistries
<scribe> ACTION: DO to Revise CSCP (Cookies, Shopping Carts, Personalization, etc) in State finding [CONTINUES] from 13 Jun 2006 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/09/26-tagmem-irc]
<scribe> ACTION: NDW to Review new version of state finding when it comes out, with NM [CONTINUES] from 13 Jun 2006 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/09/26-tagmem-irc]
<DanC_> draft agenda
Ed is excused. Everybody else will be there.
DO: on Wed 4 Oct, I'm out around lunch
VQ: ok to start at 9am Wed?
... everybody have their hotel?
<Norm> Norm is booked.
ED: I'm interested to dial in
DO: yes, I plan to accomodate that.
VQ: Ed, let me know which parts you want to call in for
DO checks on social event.
"Review of draft finding The use of Metadata in URIs (new version to be available for the meeting)"
<ht> New draft of MetadataInURI available when, Noah?
<Noah> oops. yes?
<Noah> I hope to write new section of metadata Thurs or Fri as promised
<Noah> Should be short and easy to review
<Noah> That what you need?
<Vincent> Yes, thanks Noah
DO: I'm still hopeful for a new
XMLVersioning-41 draft this week
... this is going slowly...
... the scope has increased from "how do I extend/version my XML document" and we haven't gotten back to those details.
... and I'm not sure how long I can work on it... end of term approaching and all.
DC: I think working on the terminology should interleave with working on the guidance
DO: but reviewers so far have stopped somewhere in the terminology section
NDW: on Issue namespaceDocument-8, I don't see bandwidth to get a lot more done, but I do expect to contact Jonathan B at least briefly
VQ: agenda is still flexible. suggestions welcome.