SWAD-Europe Workshop, DC-2002: Florence
SWAD-Europe: W3C Semantic Web Advanced Development for Europe
SWAD-Europe is a five partner EC-funded project created to support
W3C's Semantic Web Activity in Europe.
- Goals for this Workshop
- Introduction to SWAD-Europe
SWAD-Europe DC Workshop Goals
Why are we here?
- W3C's Metadata, RDF and SW work share history with DC
- to help Dublin Core practitioners use SW technology...
- ...and help RDF tool developers support the needs of DCMI
- to find partners, scenarios, use cases to ensure SWAD-E is useful
- to build links between DCMI's technical work and the W3C SW effort
- Wednesday: General Introduction (14:00-15:00)
- Dan Brickley (Project Overview)
- Charles McCathieNevile
- Dave Beckett
- Libby Miller
- Thursday: Technical Workshop
- 11:00-13:00 - RDF and DC Interop (tools and techniques)
- 14:00-15:00 - Joint Session with DC Architecture WG
- 15:00-16:30 - Use cases, scenarios, short presentations
- ...is a 5 partner collaborative EU project
- ...originated within W3C's SW Activity
- ...extends SWAD(-MIT) previous development model
- ...is about and in support of W3C's SW Activity, but managed independently.
- ...complements and feeds into 'standards track' work
- ILRT / University of Bristol (project management)
- Hewlett Packard
- CCLRC / RAL
Implement scenario-led examples showing the integration of
multiple Semantic Web technologies.
Develop a Semantic Web technology integration strategy that
emphasises the utility of XML languages (SVG, MathML etc)
as complementary rather than competing
components of the Web.
Ensure that European Community is kept aware of
international best practice for SW technology,
and that best practice within Europe is recognised internationally.
Undertake targeted research and development in support of
Milestones and Results
Delivered a series of research demonstrations showcasing
Semantic Web technology for consumer and industrial
Created a methodology demonstrating the integration of RDF
and Semantic Web tools with a range of XML and Web
Facilitated SW technology maturation, aiding the
deployment of Semantic Web-enhanced Web Services
Deployed an education and outreach programme
In Simpler Terms...
SWAD-Europe is about providing answers to questions about RDF,
metadata, Semantic Web:
- How do I combine RDF and XML Schema technology?
- What is the state of the art in RDF databases, query languages...?
- What practical techniques are there for combining Dublin Core,
educational, multimedia, and rights metadata within a single
- Who else is struggling with these issues?
- RDF/SW and XML Integration
- Web Services and Semantic Web
- Scalability, APIs and Query Languages
- Trust; Thesauri; Annotations
- Visualisation and Accessibility
- Demonstrators and worked examples
- Outreach... to developers, content producers, researchers and
SWAD-Europe and W3C
SWAD-Europe provides resources to...
- contribute test suite materials (eg. for scalability testing)
- sponsor and lead Interest Group task forces (eg. query, thesaurus, calendar)
- generate proposals that could feed into standards-track work (APIs?)
- create supporting materials (FAQs, worked examples, 'hot topics', online tools, primers)
SWAD-Europe and Dublin Core
Beginning at DC-2002, SWAD-Europe will...
- collect practical requirements and questions from DC community
- support RDF/DC toolkit maturity through worked scenarios and test cases
- identify RDF toolkit priorities for DC applications