One of the expected TestMaterialsQualities is completeness, that is how much of the specification is covered by a test suite. This is usually refered as coverage.
Coverage can be measured with regard to different types of reference:
- test assertions when available
- conformance requirements
- "features" defined by the specification (with the difficulty of defining what a feature really is)
- in the case of test driven development approach for the spec (as described in TestDevelopmentMethodologies), the issues list can be used as the referent
In the case of a conformance test suite, it is crucial to be able to assess how much of specification is covered, so that it's possible to give a degree of confidence in the conformance of the tested product (see "Provide coverage information" in June TestGL Editors Draft).
Integrate more stuff from:
- Java Community Process - Test Coverage
- Test Coverage for XSL Test Suite at W3C
- Open issues on test coverage for DOM TS
- Validate Test Coverage