Seeding the Semantic Web
Date: January 26, 2006
Participants: Olivier Bodenreider, Kei Cheung, Roger Cutler, Brian Gilman, Joanne Luciano, Brian Osborne, Alan Ruttenburg, Matt Shanahan, Susie Stephens, Charles Tilford.
Project Goal: To build a life sciences demo using RDF and OWL to get a stronger understanding as to the work required, to explore the effectiveness of current tools, and to document our finding to help accelerate the adoption of the Semantic Web by others.
- The demo will primarily take advantage of data sets from the NCBI. However, additional data sets will be required with time as the ultimate goal is to build a demo that spans from ‘bench to bedside’.
- The demo will focus on the domain area of neuroscience, in order to be able to build upon the ongoing work in Scientific Commons and SWANS.
- The main focus of the demo is on the integration of many data sets, although scalability is also of interest.
Stage 1 (3 month goals)
- Identify the initial data sources to be used in the demo.
- Explore additional data sources that would be required for the demo to span ‘bench to bedside’.
- Learn about GRDDL, SPARQL, OWL, etc.
- Increase knowledge of neuroscience.
- Set up a Wiki for communication.
Stage 2 (6 months goals)
- Transform data into RDF from Word, Excel, XML, Relational, etc.
- Analysis of semantic requirements (connect to ontology sub-group).
- Move from screen scraping to an API.
- Create documents that describe work undertaken, and observations.
Stage 3 (12 months goals)
- Use ontologies with the demo.
- Answer scientific questions and hopefully glean new scientific insights through using the demo.
- Validate the effectiveness of the data integration.