Edit ISSUE-78: Spec should use a term other than "URL" for Web Addresses

Nickname:

Title:

State:

Product:

Raised By:

Description:

Add notes (no markup allowed, URIs get automatically hyperlinked):

Related emails:

  1. [Bug 8116] URNs are URIs but not URLs (from bugzilla@jessica.w3.org on 2010-05-19) (from bugzilla@jessica.w3.org on 2010-05-19)
  2. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-29: Action items, new issues, Task Force reports - minutes of the meeting (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-04-29) (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-04-29)
  3. Re: CORRECTION ISSUE-78 (urls-terminology): Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-28) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-28)
  4. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-29: Action items, new issues, Task Force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-28) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-28)
  5. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-22: Action items, issues, decision policy, A11Y recommendations, polyglot spec (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-04-21) (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-04-21)
  6. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-22: Action items, issues, decision policy, A11Y recommendations, polyglot spec (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-04-21) (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-04-21)
  7. [minutes] 20100325 HTML teleconference (from plh@w3.org on 2010-03-30) (from plh@w3.org on 2010-03-30)
  8. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-25: decision policy, issue status, updates from meetings, task force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-24) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-24)
  9. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-25: decision policy, issue status, updates from meetings, task force reports (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-03-24) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-03-24)
  10. CORRECTION ISSUE-78 (urls-terminology): Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-24) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-24)
  11. Re: ISSUE-78 (meta-name-registry): Chairs Solicit Proposals (from karl+w3c@la-grange.net on 2010-03-24) (from karl+w3c@la-grange.net on 2010-03-24)
  12. ISSUE-78 (meta-name-registry): Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-24) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-24)
  13. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-17: various issues (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-03-18) (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-03-18)
  14. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-17: various issues (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-03-18) (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-03-18)
  15. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-17: various issues (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-03-18) (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-03-18)
  16. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-17: various issues (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-17) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-17)
  17. Re: Breakdown of issues (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-03-12) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-03-12)
  18. Breakdown of issues (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-12) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-12)
  19. Re: Closing issues. Setting and meeting deadlines. (was Re: Issue-9 (video-accessibility): Chairs Solicit Proposals) (from shelleypowers@burningbird.net on 2010-03-04) (from shelleypowers@burningbird.net on 2010-03-04)
  20. Re: Closing issues. Setting and meeting deadlines. (was Re: Issue-9 (video-accessibility): Chairs Solicit Proposals) (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-03-04) (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-03-04)
  21. Re: how many URL issues do we need/want? (from annevk@opera.com on 2009-09-11) (from annevk@opera.com on 2009-09-11)
  22. Re: how many URL issues doe we need/want? Re: Agenda for HTML WG telcon 2009-09-10 - Accessibility TF, Testing TF, etc (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-09-10) (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-09-10)
  23. how many URL issues doe we need/want? Re: Agenda for HTML WG telcon 2009-09-10 - Accessibility TF, Testing TF, etc (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-09-10) (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-09-10)
  24. Agenda for HTML WG telcon 2009-09-10 - Accessibility TF, Testing TF, etc (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-09-09) (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-09-09)
  25. FW: Agenda for HTML WG telcon 2009-09-10 - Accessibility TF, Testing TF, etc (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-09-09) (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-09-09)
  26. [Bug 7392] Please use some term other than 'URL' for Web Addresses (from bugzilla@wiggum.w3.org on 2009-09-08) (from bugzilla@wiggum.w3.org on 2009-09-08)

Related notes:

this is a dup of ISSUE-56, no?

Dan Connolly, 10 Sep 2009, 15:43:58

[MikeSmith]: during 2009-09-10 telcon we resolved that this issue is not a duplication of issue 56 and so it should be kept open

10 Sep 2009, 16:34:40

One related Bugzilla entry: http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8116

Julian Reschke, 8 Dec 2009, 17:05:32

Comments added to Bug 8116 (http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8116 ) and bug 7392 (http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=7392 ) which should also be linked here.

If the "real solution" is to get the entire standards community to adopt the term "URL" as it is used by the HTML5 specifications, there is an opportunity to do so, since most people look to the IETF specifications for definitions of the terminology.



Larry Masinter, 18 Mar 2010, 17:41:14

[plh]: closed without prejudice due to lack of change proposals

29 Apr 2010, 16:12:44

[rubys]: closed without prejudice

29 Apr 2010, 16:12:55


Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chairs, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.323 2013-12-19 14:47:09 dom Exp $