ISSUE-164: remove or modify hgroup

no-hgroup

remove or modify hgroup

State:
CLOSED
Product:
HTML 5 spec
Raised by:
Steve Faulkner
Opened on:
2011-04-19
Description:
Change Proposals:

hgroup with the subline element by Steve Faulkner, June 28, 2011
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/hgroup

Drop hgroup and investigate alternatives by Lars Gunther, June 28, 2011
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/dropHgroup


we seem to have 5 bugs at least including what is in the current spec:

1. Drop hgroup, but have an sh child as a child within hn
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11731

2. Drop hgroup. Have nothing instead. Await a microformat to emerge and
prove its worth.
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11828 (Filed by me)

3. Keep hgroup, using hn and hn+1 as children. The current proposal in
the spec.

4. Drop hgroup, introduce sh to be put directly beneath an hn

5.drop hgroup and have a role=subheading or subheading attribute
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0147.html
Related Actions Items:
No related actions
Related emails:
  1. Re: revisiting <hgroup> in HTML (from kornel@geekhood.net on 2013-03-06)
  2. Re: Use cases for <hgroup> ? [WAS] revisiting <hgroup> in HTML (from ian@iandevlin.com on 2013-03-06)
  3. Use cases for <hgroup> ? [WAS] revisiting <hgroup> in HTML (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2013-03-06)
  4. revisiting <hgroup> in HTML (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2013-03-06)
  5. Re: Getting HTML5 to Recommendation in 2014 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-09-20)
  6. Re: Getting HTML5 to Recommendation in 2014 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2012-09-20)
  7. RE: Review of ISSUE-164 change proposals - Part 5: Replace <hgroup> with an element that has a simple content model and backwards compatibility (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-08-14)
  8. Re: Review of ISSUE-164 change proposals - Part 4: Remove hgroup add an outlineMask attribute (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2012-08-08)
  9. Re: Review of ISSUE-164 change proposals - Part 1: Replace hgroup with the subline element (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2012-08-06)
  10. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-08-02 - action items, issues and decisions (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-08-02)
  11. RE: Review of ISSUE-164 change proposals - Part 4: Remove hgroup add an outlineMask attribute (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-08-01)
  12. Re: Review of ISSUE-164 change proposals - Part 4: Remove hgroup add an outlineMask attribute (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2012-08-01)
  13. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-08-02 - action items, issues and decisions (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-08-01)
  14. [minutes] 20120726 HTML WG (from plh@w3.org on 2012-07-27)
  15. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-07-26 - issues, decisions and task force reports (from krisk@microsoft.com on 2012-07-26)
  16. Re: Review of ISSUE-164 change proposals - Part 2: CP no-change hgroup (from simonp@opera.com on 2012-07-25)
  17. Re: Review of ISSUE-164 change proposals - Part 4: Remove hgroup add an outlineMask attribute (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2012-07-25)
  18. Re: Review of ISSUE-164 change proposals - Part 1: Replace hgroup with the subline element (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2012-07-25)
  19. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-07-26 - issues, decisions and task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-07-25)
  20. Review of ISSUE-164 change proposals - Part 5: Replace <hgroup> with an element that has a simple content model and backwards compatibility (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-07-24)
  21. Review of ISSUE-164 change proposals - Part 4: Remove hgroup add an outlineMask attribute (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-07-24)
  22. Review of ISSUE-164 change proposals - Part 3: Replace hgroup with a simple element (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-07-24)
  23. Review of ISSUE-164 change proposals - Part 2: CP no-change hgroup (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-07-24)
  24. Review of ISSUE-164 change proposals - Part 1: Replace hgroup with the subline element (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-07-24)
  25. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-08: issue progress, heartbeat drafts, other topics (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2012-03-15)
  26. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-08: issue progress, heartbeat drafts, F2F meeting plans, task force reports (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-03-08)
  27. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-08: issue progress, heartbeat drafts, F2F meeting plans, task force reports (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-03-08)
  28. Re: ISSUE-164: remove or modify hgroup (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2012-03-07)
  29. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-11-17: action, issue, and task force updates (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-11-17)
  30. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-11-17: action, issue, and task force updates (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-11-16)
  31. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2010-10-20: action and issue updates (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-11-10)
  32. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-10-20: action and issue updates (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-11-09)
  33. Re: Rebuttal of dropHgroup CP (ISSUE-164) (from gunther@keryx.se on 2011-11-07)
  34. Re: Rebuttal of dropHgroup CP (ISSUE-164) (from gunther@keryx.se on 2011-11-07)
  35. Re: CP no-change hgroup (ISSUE-164) (from gunther@keryx.se on 2011-11-07)
  36. Re: CP no-change hgroup (ISSUE-164) (from gunther@keryx.se on 2011-11-07)
  37. Re: Rebuttal of dropHgroup CP (ISSUE-164) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-11-07)
  38. Re: CP no-change hgroup (ISSUE-164) (from simonp@opera.com on 2011-11-07)
  39. Re: Rebuttal of dropHgroup CP (ISSUE-164) (from simonp@opera.com on 2011-11-07)
  40. Re: Rebuttal of dropHgroup CP (ISSUE-164) (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2011-11-07)
  41. Re: Rebuttal of dropHgroup CP (ISSUE-164) (from Smylers@stripey.com on 2011-11-06)
  42. Re: CP no-change hgroup (ISSUE-164) (from gunther@keryx.se on 2011-11-06)
  43. Re: Rebuttal of dropHgroup CP (ISSUE-164) (from gunther@keryx.se on 2011-11-06)
  44. Re: CP no-change hgroup (ISSUE-164) (from gunther@keryx.se on 2011-11-06)
  45. Re: Rebuttal of dropHgroup CP (ISSUE-164) (from gunther@keryx.se on 2011-11-06)
  46. CP no-change hgroup (ISSUE-164) (from simonp@opera.com on 2011-11-06)
  47. Rebuttal of dropHgroup CP (ISSUE-164) (from simonp@opera.com on 2011-11-06)
  48. Re: minutes for HTML WG f2f, 2011-11-04, part 1 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-11-05)
  49. Re: minutes for HTML WG f2f, 2011-11-04, part 1 (from tantek@cs.stanford.edu on 2011-11-05)
  50. minutes for HTML WG f2f, 2011-11-04, part 1 (from mike@w3.org on 2011-11-05)
  51. CfC: Close ISSUE-164: no-hgroup by Amicable Resolution (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-11-04)
  52. withdrawal of change proposal for issue 164 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-11-04)
  53. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-08-11: Issue progress, HTML.next (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-08-10)
  54. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-08-04: Issues, Task Force Reports, Overdue P1, Last Call components (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-08-03)
  55. RE: {Minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-07-28: Issues, Last Call period (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2011-07-28)
  56. Re: {Agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-07-28: Issues, Last Call period (from janina@rednote.net on 2011-07-27)
  57. RE: {Agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-07-28: Issues, Last Call period (from Eliot.Graff@microsoft.com on 2011-07-27)
  58. {Agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-07-28: Issues, Last Call period (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-07-27)
  59. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-07-07: Actions, Issue status Decisions, TF reports, TAG issue (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2011-07-07)
  60. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-07-07: Actions, Issue status Decisions, TF reports, TAG issue (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-07-05)
  61. ISSUE-164: no-hgroup - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-07-05)
  62. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-06-30 WG Issues, Calls, TAG Issue (RDFa/Microdata), author-view (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-06-30)
  63. Re: ISSUE-164: remove or modify hgroup - change proposal (from gunther@keryx.se on 2011-06-29)
  64. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-06-30 WG Issues, Calls, TAG Issue (RDFa/Microdata), author-view (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-06-28)
  65. ISSUE-164: remove or modify hgroup - change proposal (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-06-28)
  66. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-06-23 TF Reports, Tracker requests, (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-06-22)
  67. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-06-02 Action Items, New Calls (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2011-06-02)
  68. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-06-02 Action Items, New Calls (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-06-01)
  69. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-06-02 Action Items, New Calls (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-05-31)
  70. ISSUE-164 no-hgroup: Chairs Solicit Change Proposals (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-05-31)
  71. Re: Revert request for r6052, moving forward on bug 11828 and issue 164 (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-05-05)
  72. Re: Revert request for r6052, moving forward on bug 11828 and issue 164 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-05-04)
  73. Revert request for r6052, moving forward on bug 11828 and issue 164 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-05-04)
  74. Re: hgroup (from kurt.cagle@gmail.com on 2011-05-04)
  75. Re: hgroup (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-05-04)
  76. Re: hgroup (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-05-04)
  77. Re: hgroup (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-05-03)
  78. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-04-21: New Issue, ISSUE-152, Decisions, Issue Status, Plans (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-04-20)
  79. HTML-ISSUE-164 (no hgroup): remove or modify hgroup [HTML 5 spec] (from sysbot+tracker@w3.org on 2011-04-19)

Related notes:

Remove bug 11737 from the list per: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011May/0062.html

Sam Ruby, 4 May 2011, 22:56:20

WG Decisions to pursue this issue as extension specifications, with the possibility of reintegration into HTML 5.0, 5.1, or 5.2 per the reintegration policy: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Oct/0105.html

Sam Ruby, 18 Jan 2013, 16:07:54

Changelog:

Created issue 'remove or modify hgroup' nickname no hgroup owned by Steve Faulkner on product HTML 5 spec, description 'we seem to have 5 proposals at least including what is in the currebt spec:

1. Drop hgroup, but have an sh child as a child within hn
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11731

2. Keep hgroup, but allow only one hn + sh
2b. Allow multiple sh
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11737

3. Drop hgroup. Have nothing instead. Await a microformat to emerge and
prove its worth.
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11828 (Filed by me)

4. Keep hgroup, using hn and hn+1 as children. The current proposal in
the spec.

5. Drop hgroup, introduce sh to be put directly beneath an hn

6.drop hgroup and have a role=subheading or subheading attribute
' non-public

Steve Faulkner, 19 Apr 2011, 19:22:59

Description changed to 'we seem to have 6 proposals at least including what is in the current spec:

1. Drop hgroup, but have an sh child as a child within hn
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11731

2. Keep hgroup, but allow only one hn + sh
2b. Allow multiple sh
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11737

3. Drop hgroup. Have nothing instead. Await a microformat to emerge and
prove its worth.
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11828 (Filed by me)

4. Keep hgroup, using hn and hn+1 as children. The current proposal in
the spec.

5. Drop hgroup, introduce sh to be put directly beneath an hn

6.drop hgroup and have a role=subheading or subheading attribute
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0147.html

'

Steve Faulkner, 19 Apr 2011, 19:25:29

nickname changed to 'no-hgroup'

Sam Ruby, 19 Apr 2011, 20:09:19

Description changed to 'we seem to have 5 proposals at least including what is in the current spec:

1. Drop hgroup, but have an sh child as a child within hn
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11731

2. Drop hgroup. Have nothing instead. Await a microformat to emerge and
prove its worth.
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11828 (Filed by me)

3. Keep hgroup, using hn and hn+1 as children. The current proposal in
the spec.

4. Drop hgroup, introduce sh to be put directly beneath an hn

5.drop hgroup and have a role=subheading or subheading attribute
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0147.html'

Sam Ruby, 4 May 2011, 22:56:20

Status changed to 'open'

Sam Ruby, 28 Jun 2011, 15:20:38

Description changed to 'Change Proposals:

hgroup with the subline element by Steve Faulkner, June 28, 2011
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/hgroupreplace

Drop hgroup and investigate alternatives by Lars Gunther, June 28, 2011
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/dropHgroup


we seem to have 5 bugs at least including what is in the current spec:

1. Drop hgroup, but have an sh child as a child within hn
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11731

2. Drop hgroup. Have nothing instead. Await a microformat to emerge and
prove its worth.
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11828 (Filed by me)

3. Keep hgroup, using hn and hn+1 as children. The current proposal in
the spec.

4. Drop hgroup, introduce sh to be put directly beneath an hn

5.drop hgroup and have a role=subheading or subheading attribute
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0147.html'

Laura Carlson, 28 Jul 2011, 18:57:55

Description changed to 'Change Proposals:

hgroup with the subline element by Steve Faulkner, June 28, 2011
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/hgroup

Drop hgroup and investigate alternatives by Lars Gunther, June 28, 2011
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/dropHgroup


we seem to have 5 bugs at least including what is in the current spec:

1. Drop hgroup, but have an sh child as a child within hn
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11731

2. Drop hgroup. Have nothing instead. Await a microformat to emerge and
prove its worth.
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11828 (Filed by me)

3. Keep hgroup, using hn and hn+1 as children. The current proposal in
the spec.

4. Drop hgroup, introduce sh to be put directly beneath an hn

5.drop hgroup and have a role=subheading or subheading attribute
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0147.html'

Laura Carlson, 28 Jul 2011, 19:00:53

Status changed to 'closed'

Sam Ruby, 18 Jan 2013, 16:07:54


Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chairs, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.323 2013-12-19 14:47:09 dom Exp $