Story: I as a blind or visually impaired student need to be able to access graphs that represent mathematical expressions
Sonification of graphs has been a useful accessibility and multi-modal delivery technique for blind and vision impaired students. Implementation and research has been done by NASA with MathTrax and Georgia Tech's Sonification Lab.
Sonification can be accomplished on the web platform with the Web Audio API. We have built a prototype at:
We would like to generalize this prototype by having semantics in the SVG that indicate to the sonification JS code what the data, axis and tick mark elements are.
- We would like to generalize this prototype by having semantics in the SVG that indicate to the sonification JS code what the data, axis and tick mark elements are.
- How Blind Students Learn Math Using MathTrax
- Always uses one of the predefined values PUBLISHERS-ALL, PUBLISHERS-STEM, USERS-ALL, USERS-A11Y, RETAILERS. New values will be added to this space as they are needed.
- Ranking will be done as a separate activity later. For now, leave this field as 'TBD'
- Optional, links to other entries in the corpus
- Relevant W3C group(s)/specification(s)
- Where the target WG/spec is obvious, specify it
- External relevant group(s)/specification(s)
- Where there are external groups/specifications that address on this problem in whole or part
- Any additional info (clarifications, etc)
- Submitted by
- name of author of the use case
- Always uses one of the values NEW | REJECTED | ACCEPTED