CSS Priorities for the Digital Publishing Community
From Digital Publishing Interest Group
- overflow spec: CSS Overflow Module
- fragmentation: CSS Fragmentation Module
- page floats: CSS Page Floats
- generated content: CSS Generated Content
- GCPM: CSS Generated Content for Paged Media
- Multicol: CSS Multi-Column Layout Module
- initial letters and drop caps: CSS Inline Layout Module
- better control over first baselines
- baseline grid: CSS Line Grid Module
- second section has long way to go...
- better control over justification and hyphenation
- user-created hyphenation exception dictionaries
- control of justification parameters—minimum/optimum/maximum word- and letter-spacing
- how many letters before/after hyphen?
- how many consecutive hyphens allowed?
- can the last word of a paragraph, column, page, or spread be hyphenated?
- hanging punctuation
- access alternate glyphs (opentype features + prince-glyph-index)
- font categorization - optical weights
- Placeholder to put in information about a11y, and browser bugs around implementation of generated content
- Be able to generate figure numbers, etc. and refer/link to generate figure numbers
- keeping image and caption together
- images extending to edge of viewport or beyond (bleeds)
- align on character for tables: CSS Text, unfortunately this was removed from CSS Text years ago
- support for MathML
- alignment between equations
- breaking equations
- numbering equations
- vertical text: CSS Writing Modes
- ruby layout: CSS Ruby Layout Module
- emphasis marks CSS Text Decoration Module
- line breaking, justification, hanging-punctuation: CSS Text Module
- character class spacing: CSS Text Module Level 4
- vertical centering (block centering in a page): csswg wiki Vertical Centering or use CSS Flexible Box Layout?
- Bopomofo support (see here; this may be solved outside of CSS)
- Shapes: CSS Shapes Module
- Exclusions: CSS Exclusions Module
- Regions : CSS Regions Module