Private User Agent (PUA) Community Group
The Private User Agent (PUA) Community Group is chartered to address covert sharing of User Agent (UA) state and to improve the security of the UA in this regard. The group seeks to standardize the designs necessary to achieve these goals, to develop extensions designed to mitigate inevitable losses of functionality, and to discuss and develop implementations and test suits. Mechanisms for expressing user privacy preferences to servers and content provides are outside the scope of this group.
Suggested pronunciation of PUA sounds like 'pure'.
These are working drafts or analysis of the issues or technical proposals to address the issues. A multitude of solutions are being explored at this stage, so consider adding separate pages for substantively different approaches or solutions.
Digital Rights Management
Digital Rights Management (DRM) on the web deserves some discussion as it generally requires the user to forfeit some control over their own computer and this could affect user control, security, and privacy.
- BrowserSpy.dk has a good list of information that browsers reveal about you.
- EFF's Panopticlick tool shows how unique your browser is and how trackable you are.
- Ever Cookie
- ESCUDO: A Fine-grained Protection Model for Web Browsers Karthick Jayaraman, Wenliang Du, Balamurugan Rajagopalan, and Steve J. Chapin.
- Pixel Perfect: Fingerprinting Canvas in HTML5 Keaton Mowery and Hovav Shacham, 2011.
- Third-Party Web Tracking: Policy and Technology Jonathan R. Mayer and John C. Mitchell, 2012.
- On the fragility and limitations of current Browser-provided Clickjacking protection schemes Sebastian Lekies, Mario Heiderich, Dennis Appelt, Thorsten Holz, Martin Johns, 2012.
- Clickjacking: attacks and defenses Lin-Shung Huang, Alex Moshchuk, Helen J. Wang, Stuart Schechter, Collin Jackson, 2012.
- UI Redressing: Attacks and Countermeasures Revisited Marcus Niemietz, 2011.
- The Multi-Principal OS Construction of the Gazelle Web Browser Helen J. Wang, Chris Grier, Alexander Moshchuk, Sam King, Piali Choudhury, and Herman Venter, 2009.