From Open Annotation Community Group
Use cases for further requirements
This section is going to collect examples and use cases that are challenging the current model. These will be used for considering new extensions and/or updates of the current model.
- from Dan Brickley
- "I want to attach an annotation to the 2nd line of some soliloquy in Hamlet, and have FRBR-ish handling such that my annotation is available to maximum number of readers regardless of which version/edition/copy ... of the text they have in their hands (and computer)"
- Need to add concrete detail, eg. case where all expressions and manifestations of the work have a matching target; or where only one expression of Hamlet is a fair target.
- If we make the selectors too vague, they won't attach; if they're too precise, many readers won't see annotations for most pages (even on this super-famous text)
- See wikipedia (image) for useful overview of the 'to be or not to be' soliloquy, including comparison across different folios (=expressions?)
- "To be, or not to be, that is the question:"
- "To be, or not to be, aye there's the point," (noting that 'aye' was written 'I' sometimes, etc.)