This test is a part of 2.4.2 Page Titled
This test checks that webpage titles are used to uniquely identify individual webpages within a website.
- All pages tested should be on the same website (with same domain). Page titles on external websites are out of the scope of the test.
- The test does not include pages that are the result of a user interaction (such as pages that represent steps in a check out process on a retail website), or pages that require a login. These pages can be tested individually using SC2-4-2-title.
- The case of missing or invalid or titles of individual webpages is covered in test SC2-4-2-title. This test does not duplicate these checks.
- If no pages with same domain are linked from the page where the test is run, the test automatically passes (for best results, run this test from the front page or main page of the website).
- If every page in the sample has identical titles, the test automatically fails.
- If one or more group of pages within the website have identical titles, users are asked to evaluate each group.
- G127: Identifying a Web page's relationship to a larger collection of Web pages
- F25: Failure of Success Criterion 2.4.2 due to the title of a Web page not identifying the contents - failure example 2.
|Test name||Titles Across Pages|
|Test requirement||2.4.2 Page Titled|
|Required expertise and skills||no prior knowledge|
|Additional expertise and skills|
|Test environment||HTML source or DOM|
|Test subject||multiple web pages|
<title> element from the
<head> section of all pages in the collection. To create a page collection, follow all links from the page currently being tested, include all pages on same domain. Exclude all pages with no title elements or multiple title elements (they are covered in a different test).
If one or more pages is returned, and all titles are unique: return
else If more than one page is returned, and all pages in the set have identical titles.
|ErrorMessage||All page titles are identical.|
Else, continue with Step 2
Create lists of pages with identical page titles. For each title value that is used on more than one page create a nested list of all the URLs where that title is used. For instance:
- Title 1
- URL 1 for title 1
- URL 2 for title 1
- ... URL N for title 1
- title 2
- URL 1 for title 2.
- ... URL N for title 2.
For each title with more than one URL associated with it: Present the page title to the user along with a list of the URLs where it is used. Ask the usre to open at least two of those URLs in a separate window or tab and inspect the content of those pages.
If no return
|ErrorMessage||Page titles need to be unique and descriptive, at least x pages on your website have identical titles. (where x is the number of pages with identical titles)|