Back to Success Criterion 2.2.2 Pause, Stop, Hide
This test checks that moving, blinking, scrolling, or auto-updating information doesn’t distract users during their interaction with a web page.
- G4: Allowing the content to be paused and restarted from where it was paused
- G11: Creating content that blinks for less than 5 seconds
- G152: Setting animated gif images to stop blinking after n cycles (within 5 seconds)
- G186: Using a control in the Web page that stops moving, blinking, or auto-updating content
- G187: Using a technology to include blinking content that can be turned off via the user agent
- G191: Providing a link, button, or other mechanism that reloads the page without any blinking content
- F4: Failure of Success Criterion 2.2.2 due to using text-decoration:blink without a mechanism to stop it in less than five seconds
- F7: Failure of Success Criterion 2.2.2 due to an object or applet, such as Java or Flash, that has blinking content without a mechanism to pause the content that blinks for more than five seconds
- F16: Failure of Success Criterion 2.2.2 due to including scrolling content where movement is not essential to the activity without also including a mechanism to pause and restart the content
- F47: Failure of Success Criterion 2.2.2 due to using the blink element
- F50: Failure of Success Criterion 2.2.2 due to a script that causes a blink effect without a mechanism to stop the blinking at 5 seconds or less
This test assumes that the moving, blinking, scrolling, or auto-updating content is not part of an activity where it is essential.
|Test name||Pause, stop, hide|
|Test requirement||2.2.2 Pause, Stop, Hide|
|Test environment||rendered page|
|Test subject||Single web page|
|User expertise and skills||no prior knowledge|
|User profile||Requires sight|
The entire web page.
Step 1 (F47)
Check in the code for the presence of the
|ErrorMessage||Blink element is not allowed.|
Else, continue with #Step 2 (F4)
Step 2 (F4)
Check in the code if the
text-decoration:blink property is set.
|ErrorMessage||Text-decoration:blink property is not allowed.|
Else, continue with #Step 3
Check if there is no moving or scrolling content or blinking content longer than 5 seconds.
If yes, continue with #Step 4.
Check if there is a mechanism to pause or stop the moving, scrolling or blinking content.
|ErrorMessage||No mechanism available to pause or stop the moving, scrolling or blinking content.|