The Protocols and Formats Working Group is no longer chartered to operate. Its work will continue in two new Working Groups:
- Accessible Platform Architectures, to review specifications, develop technical support materials, collaborate with other Working Groups on technology accessibility, and coordinate harmonized accessibility strategies within W3C; and
- Accessible Rich Internet Applications, to continue development of the Accessible Rich Internet Applications (WAI-ARIA) suite of technologies and other technical specifications when needed to bridge known gaps.
Resources from the PFWG remain available to support long-term institutional memory, but this information is of historical value only.
This Wiki page was edited by participants of the Protocols and Formats Working Group. It does not necessarily represent consensus and it may have incorrect information or information that is not supported by other Working Group participants, WAI, or W3C. It may also have some very useful information.
This page lists uses cases for multimodal delivery of SVG, for example via sonification and haptics. WAI-ARIA can be an enabling technology for being able to provide multimodal deliver of a wide range of SVG graphics.
- Use case - Representation of X, Y, and Z Axes to represent a chart and a way to describe the values at the end of each axis. I would suggest:
- Role "axis" with a new aria-attribute of plane with value set x, y, and z
- Use aria-value-min and aria-value-max when the endpoints of the axis cannot be easily computed. For example an axis that has arrows at the end.
- Use case - Legend which would be an explanatory table or list of the symbols appearing on a map or chart. We also need a way to related legend elements with points/objects/shapes on the SVG.
- Role "legend" which is a subclass of the aria role of "group"
- Use case - Need to be able to indicate labeled points or call outs on a path. For example, in a stock chart may want to highlight when an earnings annoucement happened or in a mathematical graph indicate the global maxima.
- Use case - Need to explore use cases needed with number lines
- Use case- ability to select shapes within an SVG.
- For example, to teach geometry I may want to indicate that a group of three paths is "Triangle A", so that an application could be used to query the angles of each of the corners.
Pages in category "SVG"
This category contains only the following page.