PICS/DSig Standard Library
PICS/DSig Standard Library in Java
Download US Version (ZIP, 1.3MB) 5/20/98
Download Non-US Version (ZIP, .9MB) 5/20/98
PICS/DSig Standard Library documentation
Browse the API (javadoc).
*NEW* Version 1.2 Now Available
NOTE:As of Version 1.2, the PICS Standard Library and the DSig
Reference Code were merged.
The PICS/DSig Standard Library consists of three parts:
- Java Classes -- A set of Java classes for the basic components of PICS --
Label, Service, and Profile.
- Parsers -- A set of parsers for converting text files containing label
lists, service descriptions, and PICSRules profiles into Label, Service, and
Profile Java objects.
- DSig Modules -- A set of Java Packages that allow PICS labels to
be signed and verified.
The PICS/DSig Standard Library currently has the following features:
- It can parse any label list, service description, or profile and output
the corresponding Java object.
- It can parse a profile and a label list, evaluate them, and indicate which
labels were passed by the profile, and which were blocked.
- It can parse a label list and generate DSig1.0-ready canonicalized labels
(suitable for signing).
- It can scan an HTML page for labels embedded in
- It can process an HTML page against a profiles,
using the labels contained in the HTML file's header.
- It can write SQL-compliant subqueries intended for
use with the Jigsaw Label Bureau.
- *NEW*It can contact PICS Label Bureaus to find labels for particular URLs.
- *NEW*It can both sign and verify PICS labels, in the manner as specified in DSig 1.0.
The full API (javadoc) is available for
browsing. Below is a brief
description of each packages:
PICS and DSig Design Information
The PICS portion of the library can be used independantly of the DSig
components. More information about the PICS code can be found in the
PICS Design Document.
The DSig portion of the library is further described in the
DSig Design Document.
Be sure to read the Known Bugs / What's New Page. It
will be updated as bugs are discovered and fixed and as new features are
added to the library.
|DSig Code||PICS Code|
|DSig Code Coordinator
Yang-hua Chu, Carnegie Mellon University,
|PICS Code Coordinator|
David Shapiro, MIT/W3C,
|Mark Champine, Iris,|
|Jennifer Berk, MIT,|
|Vasanthan Dasan, Sun,
|Kyle Jamieson, MIT/W3C,
|Ora Lassila, Nokia,|
|Terrance Poon, MIT,|
|Peter Lipp, University of Technology, Graz,|
|Paul Resnick, University of Michigan,|
|David Shapiro, MIT/W3C,
|Sun Microsystems JavaCC,|
JavaCC Home Page
|Andreas Sterbenz, University of Technology, Graz,|
20 May 98