APA Weekly Teleconference

15 May 2024


Dr_Keith, Fazio, Fredrik, Gottfried, janina, matatk, mike_beganyi, NehaJ, Nichole, Roy
matatk, mike_beganyi

Meeting minutes

<matatk> gb, off

<gb> matatk, issues and names were already off.

Agenda Review & Announcements

TPAC 2024 Planning

matatk: Looking for suggestions of other groups with whom we should meet

matatk: think we've got 5 or 6 other groups (WHATWG, media groups, publishing, CSS, etc.)

<matatk> TPAC 2023 meetings, for reference: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2023

<Gottfried> maybe virtually from Wed-Fri

<Fredrik> +1

<Fazio> +1

<Fazio> in person

matatk: How many are thinking to be part of TPAC this year, virtual or in person

<NehaJ> +1 virtual

<janina> +1 in person

<Fredrik> +1 virtual, I mean...

<Nichole> +1 vitual

+1 virtual

<Fazio> +1 in person

<Roy> +1 in person

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

Roy: Nothing new this week

HR A11y Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

CSS View Transitions

<matatk> w3c/a11y-review#192

matatk: [recaps last week's conversation about users being able to disable view transitions]

matatk: Added label to see a resolution to this issue.

No-motion / forced-reduced-motion issue draft

<matatk> our tracking issue: w3c/a11y-review#148

matatk: if anyone wants to look at the issue and respond either in GitHub or on list it would be appreciated

Interaction side?

<matatk> Our tracking link: w3c/a11y-review#193

<janina> +1 to facilitating putting those in a preferred location!

matatk: [recaps interaction side discussion: media query to express which side users prefer content to appear]

Fazio: cognitively this is a good idea

janina: would like the preference to choose where this content appears

Fredrik: interesting cultural issue regarding reading right to left

matatk: Reading the first comment in the thread to determine if it satisfies this concern would be welcome

Explicit Review Requests https://github.com/w3c/a11y-request/issues

matatk: As Roy said, nothing new. We do have one pending—The Ethical Work Prinicples from the TAG

Ethical Web Principles (TAG)

<matatk> w3c/a11y-request#75

matatk: [summarizes thread: very high level principles as to ethics on the web]

Dr_Keith: I'll take a look at the thread, Matthew.

CSS View Transitions

<matatk> w3c/a11y-request#79

Pointer Events Level 3

<matatk> w3c/a11y-request#78

<matatk> What's changed: https://www.w3.org/TR/pointerevents3/#revision-history

matatk: If any of you have longstanding accessibility concerns with the above, we're at the point where feedback is critical.

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Roy: Nothing new on TR this week.

CSS Update (Paul) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

Actions Checkin (Specs) issues/assigned

Task Force & Deliverables Updates


janina: Expect a receive a request to advance CTAUR next week. We had a wide public review quite some time ago. We've had several drafts on CTAUR (collaborative tools). Trying to extrapolate what accessibility requirements are in collaborative environments. Had a lot of comments from COGA.

<Fredrik> Not to put too fine a point on it, but Zoom would technically also fall under CTAUR.

<matatk> Collaboration Tools Accessibility User Requirements (CTAUR): https://www.w3.org/TR/ctaur/

janina: What we haven't had is enough review from a wider audience. If things go as planned, APA will publish a wide-review draft of CTAUR.

<janina> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/research-questions/wiki/AI,_Machine_Learning_and_Accessibility

janina: We decided to do an Accessibility User Requirements for AI. We'll be looking for comments and participants.

<Fazio> Absolutely

<Fredrik> Could we pleasepleaseplease find a way to call it AINUR? #TolkienFandom

<Fazio> relates to maturity model

janina: Main problem is to scope this work appropriately. We need to ensure proper scoping.

<Dr_Keith> are we looking at AI experience, delivery of content, or user interfaces

Fazio: Might be a tricky one. Will be complex given all the circumstances around LLMs and functional considerations etc.

janina: A need is one thing. Getting work done in that AI accessibility area is a different thing.

mike_beganyi: Interested in getting involved in this - is there a link I can follow?

<Fredrik> Apart form Jutta Treveranus, I would also give a heads-up about Klaus Miesenberger and the Linz Uni's work on AI.

janina: The link is in the doc; RQTF call is the hour before APA.

Other Business

be done

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 221 (Fri Jul 21 14:01:30 2023 UTC).


No scribenick or scribe found. Guessed: mike_beganyi

All speakers: Dr_Keith, Fazio, Fredrik, janina, matatk, mike_beganyi, Roy

Active on IRC: Dr_Keith, Fazio, Fredrik, Gottfried, janina, matatk, mike_beganyi, NehaJ, Nichole, Roy