IRC log of coga on 2023-09-28

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:56:10 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #coga
14:56:14 [RRSAgent]
logging to
14:56:14 [Zakim]
inviting RRSAgent
14:56:14 [Zakim]
RRSAgent, make logs Public
14:56:15 [Zakim]
Meeting: Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference
14:57:04 [JohnRochford]
14:57:10 [julierawe]
Agenda+ Align as a subgroup on set of languages to focus on for WCAG 3
14:57:30 [julierawe]
Agenda+ Develop outreach plan to get "buy in" from W3C's Internationalization group
14:57:35 [JohnRochford]
Julie, you are so facile with Zakim. How DO you do it?
14:58:17 [julierawe]
Agenda+ Review WCAG schedule and set next steps for reviewing other guidelines
14:58:29 [julierawe]
Ha, hi, John--you always make me smile!
14:58:39 [julierawe]
14:58:53 [JohnRochford]
I'm glad to have that effect on at least one person!
15:00:46 [katy]
katy has joined #coga
15:02:54 [JohnRochford]
Katy and Lisa, you may want to present+.
15:03:21 [katy]
15:03:24 [lisa_]
lisa_ has joined #coga
15:03:31 [JohnRochford]
15:03:44 [JohnRochford]
Lisa is in the house!
15:03:49 [lisa_]
zakim, start meeting
15:03:50 [Zakim]
RRSAgent, make logs Public
15:03:51 [Zakim]
Meeting: Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference
15:03:58 [lisa_]
RRSAgent, publish minutes
15:04:29 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate lisa_
15:04:37 [lisa_]
15:04:37 [kirkwood]
kirkwood has joined #COGA
15:04:43 [JohnRochford]
Julie: Reviewing agenda items.
15:05:33 [JohnRochford]
Kirkwood is in the house!
15:05:45 [julierawe]
agenda 1
15:06:03 [lisa_]
next item
15:06:24 [julierawe]
15:06:55 [JohnRochford]
Julie: This deck is teeing up the challenge.
15:07:00 [lisa_]
15:07:04 [kirkwood]
kirkwood has joined #COGA
15:07:36 [JohnRochford]
John loves all those options. Clever.
15:08:24 [JohnRochford]
John Foliot is the original author of the options.
15:08:35 [kirkwood]
15:09:43 [JohnRochford]
15:10:20 [julierawe]
Correction: John Foliot is not the author of the options. He provided a link to the most-spoken languages in the world.
15:10:35 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: Languages that are structurally different may be good.
15:11:24 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: I presented to Internationalization group at TPAC.
15:11:47 [kirkwood]
FYI: an example of US City
15:11:48 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: Richard said we should be sure we have representation.
15:12:41 [julierawe]
What is Richard's last name?
15:12:49 [kirkwood]
15:13:34 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: Arabic, Chinese, English are good ones.
15:14:15 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: Perhaps Russian and French would be good.
15:15:20 [JohnRochford]
Kirkwood: Urdu was required by NYC Department of Education plus 8 other languages.
15:16:15 [JohnRochford]
Julie: The smallest possible set of languages is what we should aim for.
15:16:29 [JohnRochford]
Julie: That many conditional tests are a lot.
15:16:37 [lisa_]
15:16:46 [lisa_]
ack k
15:17:16 [kirkwood]
fully agree.
15:17:33 [kirkwood]
lost irc earlier could put slide deck link in again, sorry.
15:17:45 [JohnRochford]
Julie: 4 of Option 4 are included in Option D.
15:18:17 [JohnRochford]
Julie: Sean Thompson says French is required in Canada.
15:18:53 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: We should say 5 if that is what the group decides is our capacity.
15:19:11 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: I don't think we should be limited to only these sets of options.
15:19:51 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: Richard says we should do structurally different languages.
15:20:17 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: I don't agree with any of the sets of options.
15:21:01 [JohnRochford]
Arabic, English, Mandarin, Russian + 1 other should be the set we use.
15:21:45 [kirkwood]
15:21:48 [katy]
I think Arabic, Mandarin, English, Spanish, Russian
15:22:11 [JohnRochford]
+1 to Katy
15:22:18 [katy]
Yes, agree to wiki
15:22:34 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: We should Wiki.
15:22:53 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: With info on other languages.
15:23:30 [JohnRochford]
15:23:40 [julierawe]
15:24:30 [lisa_]
ack next
15:25:20 [JohnRochford]
Julie: Fine by me to pursue Richard's suggestion.
15:25:33 [kirkwood]
just as FYI NYC “Covered Languages” are “Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, English French, Haitian Creole, Korean, Russian, Spanish and Urdu”
15:25:47 [JohnRochford]
Julie: We need an incredible, authorative source for a fifth language.
15:26:26 [lisa_]
15:26:29 [julierawe]
Scribing for John: John R: how about asking the Internationalization group to recruit the people we need for this?
15:26:41 [julierawe]
John R: They have the contacts to do this, don't they?
15:27:08 [JohnRochford]
John R: How about asking the Internationalization Group to bring us the help we need to languages?
15:27:20 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: We tried that 2 years ago.
15:27:39 [kirkwood]
+1 to Lisa, my feeling too
15:27:56 [lisa_]
15:28:13 [julierawe]
John R: This is going to take years. I am pessimistic
15:28:18 [JohnRochford]
John: I think this will take us years, and I am pessimistic we will be successful.
15:28:48 [julierawe]
15:29:01 [lisa_]
15:29:03 [julierawe]
15:29:05 [lisa_]
ack next
15:29:08 [lisa_]
ack next
15:29:11 [lisa_]
ack next
15:32:51 [julierawe]
15:33:38 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: Is reiterating what she said previously.
15:34:03 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: Priority 1 would be most spoken.
15:34:52 [JohnRochford]
John R: Lisa, why most spoken and not most online?
15:34:59 [katy]
I think saying most online would help more people sooner, but it would perpetuate digital barriers perhaps?
15:35:03 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: We could have what's most online.
15:36:45 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: We need languages from different families.
15:38:22 [JohnRochford]
Katy: We could express succinctly.
15:39:02 [JohnRochford]
Kirkwood: Are we thinking about non ASCII characters?
15:39:35 [JohnRochford]
Kirkwood: There are a lot of languages, such as Urdu, that don't have ASCII characters.
15:40:52 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: When we get to the Wiki, we will have to address symbolic languages, non ASCII.
15:41:05 [julierawe]
15:42:38 [JohnRochford]
Julie: I find compelling the resource (link) Lisa shared.
15:43:10 [JohnRochford]
That link was Katy's. Thanks, Katy!
15:44:10 [julierawe]
15:44:24 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: The languages we choose could accentuate the digital divide.
15:44:29 [katy]
Yes +1 to Lisa's comment about the the digital divide.
15:44:50 [JohnRochford]
+1 to Lisa's comment and the similar one Katy made earlier.
15:46:19 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: We need a proposal to how we get to a set of languages we can stand behind.
15:47:24 [lisa_]
jump over similar languas that already included. the 6 official United Nations languages then most spoken
15:47:47 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: I think the languages should be Arabic, Mandarin, English, Russian, and Hindi.
15:47:49 [katy]
+1 to Lisa. Similar to the idea of most spoken languages that are not in the same family, plus Russian as widely used online
15:48:35 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: We should verify they are all structurally different / from different families.
15:49:19 [katy]
+1 to Lisa's suggestion
15:49:38 [JohnRochford]
+1 to Lisa's suggestion, what the hell.
15:50:20 [julierawe]
15:50:32 [kirkwood]
15:51:06 [JohnRochford]
Julie: Will set up meeting with Internationalization Group.
15:51:09 [julierawe]
next item
15:51:24 [JohnRochford]
Lisa: WCAG 2 is moving ahead at a nice speed.
15:51:47 [julierawe]
Zakim, next item
15:51:47 [Zakim]
I see a speaker queue remaining and respectfully decline to close this agendum, julierawe
15:51:48 [JohnRochford]
Correction: WCAG 3.
15:52:31 [julierawe]
Agenda item #2: Outreach to Internationalization team: Julie will update the slide deck and work with Rachael and Jeanne to set up a meeting with Internationalization.
15:52:41 [julierawe]
Agenda item #3: WCAG 3
15:53:37 [julierawe]
15:55:08 [julierawe]
Lisa wants 2 COGA members to look at each set of outcomes
15:57:27 [julierawe]
Lisa: Check outcomes is the most important thing
15:57:46 [julierawe]
Lisa: Ideally review prior to the meeting day
15:57:55 [julierawe]
Lisa: Prioritize the most important bits
15:58:38 [kirkwood]
15:59:01 [julierawe]
Lisa: We don't have time to get the full taskforce thinking on this before the Oct 3 meeting
15:59:14 [julierawe]
Lisa: I will ask Rachael when we need to get the feedback in for the Oct 3 meeting
15:59:29 [julierawe]
Lisa: Clear purpose, color contrast and error notification are the most important
15:59:37 [julierawe]
Lisa: Can the people on this call each pick two?
16:01:03 [kirkwood]
link to the doc you are on right now
16:01:57 [lisa_]
16:03:08 [lisa_]
clear purose
16:03:08 [julierawe]
John K will review clear purpose and error notification
16:03:25 [julierawe]
Julie will review clear purpose and color and contrast
16:03:31 [lisa_]
outcomes for clear porpese :
16:03:48 [julierawe]
Katy will review color and contrast and error notificatin
16:05:38 [julierawe]
The meetings are on Tuesday, Oct 3. Lisa will find out when they need comments from us.
16:05:59 [julierawe]
rrsagent, make minutes
16:06:00 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate julierawe
16:41:42 [kirkwood]
kirkwood has joined #COGA
17:26:12 [kirkwood]
kirkwood has joined #COGA
18:03:40 [bkardell_]
bkardell_ has joined #coga
19:11:30 [kirkwood]
kirkwood has joined #COGA
19:34:27 [kirkwood]
kirkwood has joined #COGA
19:47:12 [kirkwood]
kirkwood has joined #COGA
21:15:51 [kirkwood]
kirkwood has joined #COGA