IRC log of rqtf on 2023-03-29

Timestamps are in UTC.

12:14:49 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #rqtf
12:14:53 [RRSAgent]
logging to
12:14:53 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
12:14:54 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #rqtf
12:14:54 [trackbot]
Meeting: Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference
12:14:54 [trackbot]
Date: 29 March 2023
12:15:00 [jasonjgw]
chair: jasonjgw
12:15:03 [jasonjgw]
12:15:05 [jasonjgw]
12:15:38 [jasonjgw]
agenda+ Media synchronization use cases and user needs.
12:15:38 [jasonjgw]
agenda+ Miscelaneous updates and topics.
12:57:33 [scott_h]
scott_h has joined #rqtf
12:58:58 [JPaton]
JPaton has joined #rqtf
13:00:21 [SteveNoble]
SteveNoble has joined #rqtf
13:00:28 [SteveNoble]
13:00:51 [scott_h]
13:01:32 [scott_h]
following on IRC< hoping to join call shortly
13:02:38 [Roy]
Roy has joined #rqtf
13:03:32 [jasonjgw]
zakim, next item
13:03:32 [Zakim]
agendum 1 -- Media synchronization use cases and user needs. -- taken up [from jasonjgw]
13:03:47 [SteveNoble]
scribe: SteveNoble
13:04:07 [JPaton]
present+ John_Paton
13:04:13 [SteveNoble]
jasonjgw: Just a placeholder for the wiki at the moment
13:05:04 [SteveNoble]
jasonjgw: Any general comments on expanding media synchronization to new forms such as transcript synchronization
13:05:37 [Lionel_Wolberger]
Lionel_Wolberger has joined #RQTF
13:05:41 [Lionel_Wolberger]
13:05:53 [SteveNoble]
janina: Will look at old meeting notes from a meeting where this was discussed several years ago
13:06:44 [SteveNoble]
jasonjgw: Currently, transcripts are provided as separate files
13:07:35 [SteveNoble]
jasonjgw: But not sure how well video APIs can provide navigation to various points in the video
13:09:09 [SteveNoble]
janina: Tools exist to fix post caption files for better synchronization, so that is a model
13:09:47 [SteveNoble]
janina: In musical works, synchronization of text may be possible with MusicXML
13:10:49 [SteveNoble]
jasonjgw: Whether we want textual content to go into media files so that it is embedded and does not have to be a separate file
13:11:51 [SteveNoble]
jasonjgw: Level of synchronization (word or sentence level) would be something to look at
13:12:58 [SteveNoble]
Raja: In transcripts, timestamps are needed. There is more support now in tools that provide synchronization.
13:13:29 [SteveNoble]
Raja: AI is getting better at figuring this out.
13:14:00 [SteveNoble]
Raja: But most synchronization is at the sentence level, not the word level.
13:15:28 [SteveNoble]
Raja: There are differences in what is supported in live streaming vs. pre-recorded.
13:17:03 [SteveNoble]
janina: What differeneces do you see in transcripts? We were hoping that transcripts would include on-screen information and not just spoken dialogue?
13:17:57 [SteveNoble]
Raja: There has been a request for this sort of information, but it seems to mostly come over in text audio descriptions and not in captions.
13:18:49 [SteveNoble]
Raja: There is a best practice for both captions and audio descriptions, and those can be considered.
13:19:45 [SteveNoble]
Janina: We were thinking that for the deaf-blind population, the synchronization with the video was not as important.
13:20:42 [SteveNoble]
Raja: More video players are starting to include the ability to search for words.
13:21:30 [SteveNoble]
jasonjgw: Finding where certain words appear and moving to that point would be useful to some people.
13:22:14 [SteveNoble]
jasonjgw: Seems like we need to do some more investigating on what is currently possible and what so far doesn't exist.
13:23:29 [SteveNoble]
Lionel: In YouTube, timed transcript playing is already available
13:24:51 [SteveNoble]
Lionel: In streaming contexts, the streaming rate can vary depending upon how much video quality is required.
13:26:01 [SteveNoble]
Raja: There are some opensource players that provide some of these capabilities, but am unsure of this is any of the specifications.
13:26:51 [SteveNoble]
janina: The standards do not seem to currently include these capabilities, be we need more exploration
13:27:21 [SteveNoble]
Raja: Happy to help out on tracking these details down
13:28:06 [SteveNoble]
Raja: You are referring to the link you sent on teh mailing list?
13:28:39 [jasonjgw]
zakim, next item
13:28:39 [Zakim]
agendum 2 -- Miscelaneous updates and topics. -- taken up [from jasonjgw]
13:28:44 [SteveNoble]
jasonjgw: is just a placeholder right now. We can continue this discussion next week
13:29:10 [janina]
janina has joined #rqtf
13:29:16 [janina]
13:29:24 [janina]
subtopic: Ax-Con Presentation
13:29:26 [janina]
Jutta Treviranus presentation ->
13:30:17 [SteveNoble]
present+ Raja
13:31:27 [SteveNoble]
janina: Suggest the presentation is something we consider for mining on possible topics
13:31:30 [Lionel_Wolberger]
present+ Lionel_Wolberger
13:32:25 [SteveNoble]
jasonjgw: She also had a good presentation during the Future of Interface conference
13:33:45 [SteveNoble]
jasonjgw: Also some good presentations on other topics worth our focus
13:34:15 [janina]
subtopic: XR
13:34:35 [SteveNoble]
jasonjgw: Still negotiating on a meeting time
13:34:45 [janina]
subtopic: CTAUR
13:35:29 [SteveNoble]
janina: Waiting on a response from COGA
13:36:19 [SteveNoble]
janina: Not sure as to what format these comments will come in
13:36:52 [SteveNoble]
janina: May have an update next week after COGA meets
13:37:35 [SteveNoble]
jasonjgw: Will still have to peel out comments into GitHub issues
13:38:51 [SteveNoble]
scott_h: Thanks for continuing to work through this!
13:39:11 [janina]
subtopic: WoT
13:39:37 [SteveNoble]
janina: APA will be discussing this.
13:40:47 [SteveNoble]
janina: Issues in WoT GitHub repository have been filed...looking at middleware, or "provisioning" as they are calling it
13:42:01 [SteveNoble]
jasonjgw: Important for us to keep following this
13:42:51 [SteveNoble]
jasonjgw: Other comments??
13:43:21 [SteveNoble]
jasonjgw: Our first agendum will come back next week
13:43:23 [jasonjgw]
zakim, bye
13:43:23 [Zakim]
leaving. As of this point the attendees have been jasonjgw, SteveNoble, scott_h, John_Paton, janina, Raja, Lionel_Wolberger
13:43:23 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #rqtf
13:43:34 [jasonjgw]
rrsagent, make minutes
13:43:36 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate jasonjgw
13:52:59 [janina]
janina has left #rqtf