IRC log of dxwgdcat on 2022-02-22

Timestamps are in UTC.

20:43:02 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #dxwgdcat
20:43:02 [RRSAgent]
logging to https://www.w3.org/2022/02/22-dxwgdcat-irc
20:43:16 [RiccardoA]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
20:43:16 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate https://www.w3.org/2022/02/22-dxwgdcat-minutes.html RiccardoA
20:43:28 [RiccardoA]
RRSAgent, make logs public
20:50:23 [riccardoAlbertoni]
riccardoAlbertoni has joined #dxwgdcat
20:51:07 [riccardoAlbertoni]
meeting: DCAT subgroup teleconference
20:53:38 [riccardoAlbertoni]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
20:53:38 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate https://www.w3.org/2022/02/22-dxwgdcat-minutes.html riccardoAlbertoni
20:53:44 [riccardoAlbertoni]
present+
21:02:12 [Nobu_OGURA]
Nobu_OGURA has joined #dxwgdcat
21:02:35 [Nobu_OGURA]
present+
21:02:45 [AndreaPerego]
AndreaPerego has joined #dxwgdcat
21:03:03 [AndreaPerego]
present+
21:03:05 [riccardoAlbertoni]
RRSAgent, draft minutes v2
21:03:05 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate https://www.w3.org/2022/02/22-dxwgdcat-minutes.html riccardoAlbertoni
21:03:26 [riccardoAlbertoni]
present+
21:03:41 [AndreaPerego]
regrets+ DaveBrowning, Alejandra
21:03:47 [AndreaPerego]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
21:03:47 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate https://www.w3.org/2022/02/22-dxwgdcat-minutes.html AndreaPerego
21:04:24 [riccardoAlbertoni]
PROPOSED: approve last meeting minutes https://www.w3.org/2022/02/08-dxwgdcat-minutes
21:04:28 [AndreaPerego]
topic: approve last meeting minutes
21:04:33 [AndreaPerego]
+1
21:04:38 [riccardoAlbertoni]
+1
21:04:40 [Nobu_OGURA]
+1
21:04:50 [riccardoAlbertoni]
RESOLVED: approve last meeting minutes https://www.w3.org/2022/02/08-dxwgdcat-minutes
21:04:53 [AndreaPerego]
topic: approve agenda
21:04:57 [AndreaPerego]
agenda: https://www.w3.org/2017/dxwg/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2022.02.22
21:05:10 [AndreaPerego]
+1
21:05:27 [riccardoAlbertoni]
+1
21:05:35 [AndreaPerego]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
21:05:35 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate https://www.w3.org/2022/02/22-dxwgdcat-minutes.html AndreaPerego
21:05:52 [AndreaPerego]
topic: Answer to Nobu's questions
21:05:54 [AndreaPerego]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
21:05:54 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate https://www.w3.org/2022/02/22-dxwgdcat-minutes.html AndreaPerego
21:06:55 [AndreaPerego]
riccardoAlbertoni: About the first question (dcat:Catalog and the use of dcterms:hasPart)
21:08:28 [AndreaPerego]
... We have not defined a specific property to link a catalog to an instance of dcat:Resource
21:09:00 [AndreaPerego]
... The reason for having dcat:Resource is to allow resources that are not explicitly defined in DCAT
21:09:24 [riccardoAlbertoni]
https://www.w3.org/TR/2020/REC-vocab-dcat-2-20200204/#ex-catalog
21:09:26 [AndreaPerego]
... This is also why there is no example of the use of this property in this specific case.
21:09:58 [AndreaPerego]
s/... This is also why/riccardoAlbertoni: This is also why/
21:10:26 [AndreaPerego]
... There are however specific properties for linking a catalog to a dataset, data service, and dataset series.
21:10:41 [AndreaPerego]
RRSAgent, drat minutes
21:10:41 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. I don't understand 'drat minutes', AndreaPerego. Try /msg RRSAgent help
21:10:55 [AndreaPerego]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
21:10:55 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate https://www.w3.org/2022/02/22-dxwgdcat-minutes.html AndreaPerego
21:11:48 [AndreaPerego]
riccardoAlbertoni: More precisely: if you want to add in a catalog a resource not defined in DCAT
21:12:34 [AndreaPerego]
... the recommended approach is to define a subclass of dcat:Resource
21:12:58 [AndreaPerego]
Nobu_OGURA: What do you mean with "abstract class" when you are referring to dcat:Resource?
21:13:40 [AndreaPerego]
riccardoAlbertoni: What we mean is that dcat:Resource should not be explicitly used, but rather a specific subclass should be defined.
21:15:58 [AndreaPerego]
q+
21:17:58 [AndreaPerego]
riccardoAlbertoni: About the min cardinality indicated in the class diagram (1..n), it is just because if you have a catalog, this is not supposed to be eventually empty.
21:19:52 [AndreaPerego]
... But this is not in the normative part.
21:20:26 [AndreaPerego]
AndreaPerego: Indeed, and probably we need to reconsider a bit the cardinalities we specified.
21:20:57 [AndreaPerego]
riccardoAlbertoni: Coming to the question on the meaning of the definition of dcat:catalog...
21:22:08 [AndreaPerego]
... The notion of "context" is just a generic expression to say that the description of given catalog is for some reason in scope of the main catalog.
21:22:11 [AndreaPerego]
q+
21:23:26 [riccardoAlbertoni]
ack AndreaPerego
21:25:01 [AndreaPerego]
AndreaPerego: Probably we should consider revising this definition.
21:25:23 [AndreaPerego]
Nobu_OGURA: Actually, the notion of "context" here is a bit vague.
21:26:38 [AndreaPerego]
proposal: we create an issue about the use of "context" in the definition of dcat:catalog - and elsewhere
21:27:19 [AndreaPerego]
proposal: we create an issue about the use of "context" in the definition of dcat:catalog and related properties (dcat:dataset, etc.)
21:27:27 [riccardoAlbertoni]
+1
21:27:37 [AndreaPerego]
+1
21:27:56 [Nobu_OGURA]
+1
21:28:03 [AndreaPerego]
resolved: we create an issue about the use of "context" in the definition of dcat:catalog and related properties (dcat:dataset, etc.)
21:28:10 [AndreaPerego]
RRSAgent draft minutes
21:28:23 [AndreaPerego]
s/RRSAgent draft minutes//
21:28:27 [riccardoAlbertoni]
https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/1429
21:28:32 [AndreaPerego]
topic: Open issues
21:28:47 [AndreaPerego]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
21:28:47 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate https://www.w3.org/2022/02/22-dxwgdcat-minutes.html AndreaPerego
21:29:01 [AndreaPerego]
riccardoAlbertoni: (explaining the issue)
21:37:24 [AndreaPerego]
... So the question is whether we want to be more prescriptive in how to specify distributions.
21:37:26 [riccardoAlbertoni]
https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/pull/1458
21:38:04 [AndreaPerego]
AndreaPerego: My feeling is that if we are more prescriptive we are not addressing the objections raised, whereas the current wording is flexible enough.
21:45:16 [riccardoAlbertoni]
https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/1429#issuecomment-987671503
21:47:18 [AndreaPerego]
riccardoAlbertoni: I think however that the text in the usage note may give the wrong message.
21:47:53 [AndreaPerego]
... We can however keep the section in the non-normative part.
21:49:06 [Nobu_OGURA]
q+
21:49:19 [riccardoAlbertoni]
ack Nobu_OGURA
21:49:42 [AndreaPerego]
AndreaPerego: I tend to agree. So, let's try to go that way.
21:50:34 [AndreaPerego]
proposal: we revise PR https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/1429 to keep the section on the approach to dataset series before DCAT3
21:51:21 [AndreaPerego]
proposal: we revise the PR about https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/1429 to keep the section on the approach to dataset series before DCAT3
21:51:26 [riccardoAlbertoni]
+1
21:51:31 [AndreaPerego]
+1
21:51:39 [Nobu_OGURA]
+1
21:51:46 [AndreaPerego]
resolved: we revise the PR about https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/1429 to keep the section on the approach to dataset series before DCAT3
21:51:54 [AndreaPerego]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
21:51:54 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate https://www.w3.org/2022/02/22-dxwgdcat-minutes.html AndreaPerego
21:52:34 [riccardoAlbertoni]
https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/1443
21:52:50 [AndreaPerego]
riccardoAlbertoni: (explaining the issue)
21:53:45 [AndreaPerego]
... So, the proposal is to change the names of those properties used in series that can be confused with the versioning.
21:54:11 [AndreaPerego]
... But there may be a problem since they are associated with dcat:Resource.
21:55:10 [AndreaPerego]
AndreaPerego: It may be worth looking at why these properties have been defined
21:55:13 [AndreaPerego]
https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/1308#issuecomment-808816992
21:59:40 [AndreaPerego]
AndreaPerego: These are defined as subproperties of the corresponding ones in the XHV vocabulary.
22:00:19 [AndreaPerego]
... And they also map to the corresponding IANA relation types.
22:01:05 [AndreaPerego]
... So, they can be used to specify relationships for any resource in a catalogue.
22:01:37 [AndreaPerego]
riccardoAlbertoni: I understand the point, but the only case we have is dataset series.
22:02:52 [AndreaPerego]
... So, we should probably move them to dataset series.
22:06:38 [AndreaPerego]
AndreaPerego: My understanding is that we provide clear indications that in DCAT3 these properties are used for series.
22:09:48 [AndreaPerego]
riccardoAlbertoni: I think the confusion is related to the fact that we probably forgot about the reason why they have been defined this way.
22:10:19 [AndreaPerego]
... So, it would be important that we are clear about that, possibly by making it explicit in the usage note.
22:11:04 [AndreaPerego]
AndreaPerego: I agree to add this in the usage note.
22:12:12 [AndreaPerego]
proposal: add to dcat:prev etc. properties an explanation of which is their scope and purpose
22:12:56 [AndreaPerego]
proposal: add to dcat:prev etc. properties an explanation of which is their scope and purpose, and why they are associated with dcat:Resource
22:13:02 [riccardoAlbertoni]
+1
22:13:03 [AndreaPerego]
+1
22:13:06 [Nobu_OGURA]
+1
22:13:17 [AndreaPerego]
resolved: add to dcat:prev etc. properties an explanation of which is their scope and purpose, and why they are associated with dcat:Resource
22:13:31 [AndreaPerego]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
22:13:31 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate https://www.w3.org/2022/02/22-dxwgdcat-minutes.html AndreaPerego
22:14:37 [riccardoAlbertoni]
w3c
22:14:45 [AndreaPerego]
s/w3c//
22:14:50 [AndreaPerego]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
22:14:50 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate https://www.w3.org/2022/02/22-dxwgdcat-minutes.html AndreaPerego
22:15:02 [riccardoAlbertoni]
https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/1335
22:15:09 [AndreaPerego]
riccardoAlbertoni: About this issue ^^
22:17:05 [AndreaPerego]
... I wonder whether we should explicitly define dcat:inSeries and its inverse.
22:17:22 [AndreaPerego]
... Or we should use the PROV solution?
22:17:25 [AndreaPerego]
q+
22:17:33 [riccardoAlbertoni]
ack AndreaPerego
22:18:22 [AndreaPerego]
AndreaPerego: I will go for the PROV approach.
22:29:25 [AndreaPerego]
proposal: we add the inverse of dcat:inSeries in the section about inverse properties
22:29:32 [riccardoAlbertoni]
+1
22:29:34 [AndreaPerego]
+1
22:29:42 [Nobu_OGURA]
+1
22:29:46 [AndreaPerego]
resolved: we add the inverse of dcat:inSeries in the section about inverse properties
22:30:19 [AndreaPerego]
[meeting adjourned]
22:30:23 [AndreaPerego]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
22:30:23 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate https://www.w3.org/2022/02/22-dxwgdcat-minutes.html AndreaPerego
22:30:56 [AndreaPerego]
chair: riccardoAlbertoni
22:31:01 [AndreaPerego]
scribenick: AndreaPerego
22:31:03 [AndreaPerego]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
22:31:03 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate https://www.w3.org/2022/02/22-dxwgdcat-minutes.html AndreaPerego