IRC log of sdw on 2018-01-24

Timestamps are in UTC.

18:17:43 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #sdw
18:17:43 [RRSAgent]
logging to https://www.w3.org/2018/01/24-sdw-irc
18:17:47 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #sdw
18:18:03 [tidoust]
RRSAgent, make logs public
18:18:27 [tidoust]
Meeting: Stats on the Web Best Practices subgroup call
18:18:30 [tidoust]
Chair: Bill
18:19:04 [tidoust]
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2018Jan/0053.html
18:19:30 [tidoust]
Regrets: Michael_Gordon, Francois_Daoust
19:52:26 [billroberts]
billroberts has joined #sdw
19:55:51 [marqh]
marqh has joined #sdw
19:58:13 [billroberts]
present+ billroberts
19:58:21 [billroberts]
regrets+ Michael Gordon
19:58:28 [billroberts]
regrets+ Francois Daoust
20:02:46 [marqh]
present+
20:03:16 [roba]
roba has joined #sdw
20:05:58 [billroberts]
present+ roba
20:08:10 [ChrisLittle_]
ChrisLittle_ has joined #sdw
20:08:29 [ChrisLittle_]
present+ ChrisLittle
20:09:35 [roba]
scribenick: roba
20:11:05 [josephabhayaratna]
josephabhayaratna has joined #sdw
20:11:12 [billroberts]
Topic: Use cases
20:11:27 [billroberts]
https://github.com/w3c/sdw/blob/gh-pages/stats-bp/draft-use-case-list.md
20:12:03 [billroberts]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2018Jan/0048.html
20:13:36 [AndreaPerego]
AndreaPerego has joined #sdw
20:14:15 [AndreaPerego]
present+ AndreaPerego
20:14:35 [roba]
ChrisLittle_: +1 pointing out SDMX has been around with international statistical best practice - foundation for RDF-QB - other stuff never made it - need to understand scope and limitations
20:15:08 [roba]
billroberts: notes SDMX is difficult to read 250 page type doc...
20:15:26 [roba]
q+
20:16:30 [roba]
AndreaPerego: analysis was a quick and dirty job, statistical data not core business...
20:17:10 [roba]
... as a template to identify where we have BP already, where gaps
20:17:50 [roba]
...URIs not part of of SDMX - have internally scoped identifiers
20:18:03 [roba]
...need to provide guidance here
20:18:42 [roba]
... discussion about not being too RDF biased - how do we apply
20:19:26 [roba]
...BP work identifies number of possible options
20:20:08 [roba]
...some BP were about metadata and some about data
20:20:40 [roba]
...RDF-QB can be about both
20:21:57 [roba]
...SDMX metadata is often free text - other metadata schemas often more "accurate" in scope (? did i get that?)
20:22:11 [billroberts]
(Yes I think that's accurate Rob)
20:22:56 [roba]
...should at least address DWBP cllauses
20:24:06 [billroberts]
roba: SDMX has a lot of different things mixed in one standard, which is what makes it complex. RDF-QB pulled out the core model of it, without doing all the codelists
20:24:39 [billroberts]
...which I think was the right thing to do. But leaves a gap in that the many codelists in SDMX are not a core part of RDF-QB , but they are not necessarily stably governed
20:24:48 [AndreaPerego]
s/other metadata schemas often more "accurate" in scope (? did i get that?)/although often it describes some information very accurately, and covering different aspects (e.g., data quality)/
20:25:09 [billroberts]
...so there is a general challenge for these kind of BPs of how do we put up standard maintained vocabs that can be re-used
20:26:06 [billroberts]
...When looking at QB4ST, i deliberately scoped it to metadata (not data) and considered it as a canonical version of a conceptual model. Could certainly have been in other syntaxes
20:26:17 [billroberts]
...JSON-LD version of RDF-QB is quite straightforward
20:26:40 [ChrisLittle_]
+1 to focus on metadata
20:26:47 [billroberts]
....We don't have to solve all problems: a reasonable scope would be metadata to describe whatever representation we have, using RDF-QB as core, and allowing RDF or JSON expression of it
20:27:34 [ChrisLittle_]
q+
20:28:01 [billroberts]
ack roba
20:28:05 [billroberts]
ack Chris
20:28:12 [roba]
...billroberts: agree we shoudl focus on web specific aspect
20:29:34 [roba]
ChrisLittle_: notes QB4ST perspective that the "big data cubes" arenot going to leave their existing implementation choices for data encoding and access mechanisms
20:30:30 [roba]
billroberts: DXWG needs folllowing
20:30:33 [roba]
q+
20:30:46 [AndreaPerego]
s/RDF biased - how do we apply/RDF biased - how do we apply - e.g., what about CSV on Web? Can it play a role for making stat data webby?
20:30:56 [billroberts]
http://ggim.un.org/meetings/GGIM-committee/documents/GGIM6/Background-Paper-Proposal-for-a-global-statistical-geospatial-framework.pdf
20:31:20 [ChrisLittle_]
q+
20:31:23 [billroberts]
ack roba
20:31:28 [AndreaPerego]
Just to say UNGGIM was also mentioned during the SDW BP call.
20:32:31 [billroberts]
roba: Data Exchange WG has just released first draft of requirements. Not had much feedback yet
20:33:04 [billroberts]
...would be great to have some feedback from this group to DXWG (and not from Rob as he is an editor of it)
20:33:31 [billroberts]
...so please everyone do send comments to DXWG on that requirements doc
20:34:02 [billroberts]
...Description of profiles and negotiation of which one you get is something DXWG is looking at
20:34:41 [billroberts]
...It's more than negotiating data format, but rather negotiating by profile - could be a useful angle for us
20:34:52 [AndreaPerego]
+1
20:35:02 [billroberts]
...DXWG won't define specific profiles - that would be down to other groups, eg SDWIG
20:35:28 [billroberts]
...so we could try to come up with a profile for metadata for statistics in that framework
20:35:41 [billroberts]
ack Chris
20:36:32 [roba]
https://www.w3.org/TR/dcat-ucr/ has details on how to comment in intro
20:38:43 [roba]
josephabhayaratna: has a set of comments from ABS on this groups UC, yet to write up and submit
20:39:27 [roba]
marqh: helpful to have explicit examples
20:39:53 [roba]
billroberts: using RDF-QB in rteal world - can bring forward some examples
20:40:14 [roba]
marqh: sounds really helpful
20:40:37 [roba]
ACTION: billroberts: bring forwards RDF-QB examples from experience
20:40:37 [trackbot]
Error finding 'billroberts'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users>.
20:40:55 [AndreaPerego]
ACTION: billroberts to bring forwards RDF-QB examples from experience
20:40:55 [trackbot]
Error finding 'billroberts'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users>.
20:41:00 [roba]
ACTION: billroberts bring forwards RDF-QB examples from experience
20:41:00 [trackbot]
Error finding 'billroberts'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users>.
20:41:50 [roba]
ACTION: bill roberts bring forwards RDF-QB examples from experience
20:41:51 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-380 - Roberts bring forwards rdf-qb examples from experience [on Bill Roberts - due 2018-01-31].
20:41:58 [ChrisLittle_]
s/rteal/real/
20:42:08 [billroberts]
Topic: F2F meeting in Amersfoort
20:42:31 [billroberts]
https://w3c.github.io/sdw/meetings/f2f-1.html
20:42:57 [roba]
-1 for F2F
20:42:58 [ChrisLittle_]
Chris planning to
20:43:12 [AndreaPerego]
Not sure I can make it... But try to join remotely.
20:43:38 [josephabhayaratna]
I wo't be there
20:43:49 [josephabhayaratna]
s/wo't/won't
20:44:32 [billroberts]
roba: have some kind of plenary catchup that they could dial in to but not very productive to join a F2F meeting remotely
20:45:56 [roba]
q+
20:46:13 [billroberts]
ack rob
20:47:11 [marqh]
q+
20:47:16 [billroberts]
ack m
20:47:52 [roba]
roba: if possible, spend some time reviewing possible examples and identify the most useful to get principles across to audience
20:50:16 [ChrisLittle_]
+1 to >1/2 day
20:50:53 [roba]
q+
20:50:58 [billroberts]
ack r
20:51:27 [billroberts]
roba: I've been working as an OGC staff member to bring the definition publication capability in-house from a skunkworks project that SImon Cox started
20:52:09 [billroberts]
... so there should be a crude CMS able to publish and maintain registers of terms as linked data. Hence OGC will be able to publish vocabs on behalf of working groups and something we can take advantage of
20:52:38 [billroberts]
...The process would be to approach the naming authority to ask for a namespace. Early days but should be possible
20:52:52 [billroberts]
...eg for SDMX codelists say
20:53:12 [ChrisLittle_]
q+
20:53:26 [billroberts]
...ISO TC211 might use this
20:54:07 [billroberts]
ack C
20:55:46 [billroberts]
...can include automatic entailment, eg of broader/narrower relations
20:56:11 [billroberts]
...but main decisions are around governance and that will be done on a case to case basis
20:58:22 [billroberts]
RSSAgent, draft minutes v2
20:58:24 [ChrisLittle_]
bye
20:58:27 [AndreaPerego]
Bye!
20:58:30 [billroberts]
bye all, thanks
20:59:01 [ChrisLittle_]
ChrisLittle_ has left #sdw
20:59:35 [billroberts]
RRSAgent, draft minutes v2
20:59:35 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate https://www.w3.org/2018/01/24-sdw-minutes.html billroberts
22:08:30 [josephabhayaratna]
josephabhayaratna has joined #sdw
22:09:15 [josephabhayaratna]
josephabhayaratna has joined #sdw