IRC log of i18n on 2017-10-12

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:52:10 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #i18n
14:52:10 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-irc
14:52:16 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #i18n
14:52:25 [addison]
trackbot, prepare teleconference
14:52:28 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
14:52:31 [trackbot]
Meeting: Internationalization Working Group Teleconference
14:52:31 [trackbot]
Date: 12 October 2017
14:52:48 [addison]
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017Oct/0006.html
14:52:52 [addison]
Chair: Addison Phillips
14:52:57 [addison]
ScribeNick: addison
14:53:10 [addison]
agenda+ Agenda
14:53:15 [addison]
agenda+ Action Items
14:53:18 [addison]
agenda+ Info Share
14:53:21 [addison]
agenda+ Radar
14:53:34 [addison]
agenda+ accessKey in HTML
14:53:39 [addison]
agenda+ String-Meta
14:53:57 [addison]
agenda+ Behnam's comments on UTR 53
14:54:06 [addison]
agenda+ Working with Unicode experts
14:54:15 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html addison
14:57:43 [addison_]
addison_ has joined #i18n
14:58:04 [addison_]
scribenick: addison_
15:01:01 [Steve_Atkin]
Steve_Atkin has joined #i18n
15:01:17 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html addison_
15:01:25 [addison_]
agenda?
15:05:39 [addison_]
zakim, take up agendum 1
15:05:39 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Agenda" taken up [from addison]
15:05:42 [addison_]
agenda?
15:06:31 [addison_]
richard: moving string-meta to first public
15:07:03 [addison_]
zakim, take up agendum 2
15:07:03 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "Action Items" taken up [from addison]
15:07:44 [addison_]
https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open
15:08:13 [addison_]
action-660?
15:08:13 [trackbot]
action-660 -- Richard Ishida to Raise comment against utr53 asking for clarity about what they are trying to do -- due 2017-10-12 -- OPEN
15:08:13 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/660
15:08:16 [addison_]
richard: did that
15:08:24 [addison_]
close action-660
15:08:24 [trackbot]
Closed action-660.
15:08:33 [addison_]
richard: there was a response on edcom
15:08:41 [addison_]
... and my comment is in the PRI
15:09:14 [r12a]
https://www.unicode.org/review/pri359/
15:10:03 [addison_]
action-661?
15:10:03 [trackbot]
action-661 -- Richard Ishida to Send https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/488 to intersection observer group -- due 2017-10-12 -- OPEN
15:10:03 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/661
15:10:16 [addison_]
close action-661`
15:10:16 [trackbot]
Closed action-661.
15:10:25 [addison_]
zakim, take up agendum 3
15:10:25 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "Info Share" taken up [from addison]
15:10:32 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html addison_
15:11:08 [addison_]
addison: IUC41 next week. teleconference?
15:12:00 [addison_]
(telecon next week)
15:12:18 [addison_]
zakim, take up agendum 4
15:12:18 [Zakim]
agendum 4. "Radar" taken up [from addison]
15:12:25 [addison_]
https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1
15:14:06 [Bert]
present+
15:14:10 [addison_]
action: addison: review DNT and sent an all-clear status to that WG unless something found
15:14:14 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-662 - Review dnt and sent an all-clear status to that wg unless something found [on Addison Phillips - due 2017-10-19].
15:15:40 [addison_]
http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/
15:18:15 [addison_]
action: addison: remind all to review charmod for status for next week, set agenda item for working to promote to next status next telecon
15:18:15 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-663 - Remind all to review charmod for status for next week, set agenda item for working to promote to next status next telecon [on Addison Phillips - due 2017-10-19].
15:19:00 [addison_]
richard: we should prep new encoding, will be substantive
15:19:06 [addison_]
... and work on moving to req
15:19:14 [addison_]
... dropping off a snapshot
15:19:36 [addison_]
addison: follow html and do dot releases?
15:19:43 [addison_]
richard: figure out possibilities
15:20:12 [addison_]
... scenario is, when publish req version, keep a WD and move into CR asap
15:20:22 [addison_]
... and just track
15:20:40 [addison_]
richard: new urls for "latest version"
15:21:56 [addison_]
richard: thanks to Fuqiao, clreq making progress
15:22:02 [addison_]
... short gap analysis report
15:22:09 [addison_]
... ALreq also working on one
15:22:21 [addison_]
agenda?
15:22:48 [addison_]
zakim, take up agendum 6
15:22:48 [Zakim]
agendum 6. "String-Meta" taken up [from addison]
15:23:01 [addison_]
richard: I think we might want to make a FPWD
15:23:19 [addison_]
... but probably needs a bit more text first
15:25:05 [addison_]
action: addison: produce updated string-meta with additional text needed for FPWD by 2 weeks
15:25:05 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-664 - Produce updated string-meta with additional text needed for fpwd by 2 weeks [on Addison Phillips - due 2017-10-19].
15:25:25 [r12a]
rrsagent, draft minutes
15:25:25 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html r12a
15:25:46 [addison_]
zakim, take up agendum 7
15:25:46 [Zakim]
agendum 7. "Behnam's comments on UTR 53" taken up [from addison]
15:26:09 [addison_]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017Oct/0007.html
15:26:27 [r12a]
https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/499
15:26:27 [addison_]
https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/497
15:27:24 [addison_]
richard: behnam wanted to send sooner rather than later
15:27:46 [addison_]
... 499, UTR says how to reorder for rendering
15:28:03 [addison_]
... wouldn't it be better to have something like "rendering pre-order algorithms"
15:28:20 [addison_]
... with a chapter on arabic and others in the future
15:29:21 [addison_]
addison: interesting observation. maybe not WG?
15:29:25 [addison_]
richard: want to track
15:29:56 [addison_]
https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/497
15:30:22 [addison_]
richard: doc says "this is useful to prep for rendering"
15:30:30 [addison_]
... but also says "could be useful for backspacing"
15:30:46 [addison_]
... might delete grapheme clusters, for example
15:30:59 [addison_]
... backspace, vowel sign and shadda
15:31:23 [addison_]
... base-vowel-shadda, ordering reversed in utr53
15:31:45 [addison_]
... so if you backspace, even though sequence base-vowel-sh but you want to delete vowel first
15:32:10 [addison_]
addison: just a happy side effect?
15:32:30 [addison_]
richard: behnam pointing out that this is just one potential text function that might use
15:33:04 [addison_]
steve: leads to unexpected results, new behavior?
15:33:23 [addison_]
richard: you'd type like base-sh-vowel
15:33:37 [addison_]
... but normalize as above
15:33:46 [addison_]
steve: what about cursoring?
15:34:04 [addison_]
richard: all one grapheme cluster... hmm...
15:34:57 [addison_]
addison: in or out problem: here's an algo. useful for this. might be useful "for other things"
15:35:29 [addison_]
... what are unicode's intentions?
15:35:35 [addison_]
richard: did they think through?
15:35:49 [addison_]
addison: forward?
15:35:52 [addison_]
steve: okay
15:35:59 [addison_]
richard: okay
15:36:35 [addison_]
action: richard: get behnam to forward 497 to the UTR53 PRI
15:36:39 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-665 - Get behnam to forward 497 to the utr53 pri [on Richard Ishida - due 2017-10-19].
15:36:41 [addison_]
agenda?
15:36:56 [addison_]
zakim, take up agendum 8
15:36:56 [Zakim]
agendum 8. "Working with Unicode experts" taken up [from addison]
15:37:02 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html addison_
15:37:10 [addison_]
richard: have the matrix thing
15:37:18 [r12a]
http://w3c.github.io/typography/gap-analysis/language-matrix.html
15:37:38 [addison_]
richard: looking for funding to support projects to find people to work on specific set of languages
15:37:43 [addison_]
... make reports
15:37:54 [addison_]
... notwithstanding we get folks working on it
15:38:03 [addison_]
... always a need for experts to support our work
15:38:16 [addison_]
... have a bunch of outstanding questions not getting anwers at moment
15:38:25 [r12a]
http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/textlayout/
15:38:26 [addison_]
s/anwers/answers/
15:38:42 [addison_]
richard: type info request, no responses at the moment
15:38:48 [addison_]
... always has been/will be case
15:38:55 [addison_]
... be nice to hage a better network
15:38:58 [addison_]
s/hage/have/
15:39:06 [addison_]
richard: unicode has a good network
15:39:10 [addison_]
... have lists
15:39:15 [addison_]
... have ISO committees
15:39:27 [addison_]
... submitting things like proposals
15:39:37 [addison_]
... wondering how we could get into similar situation
15:39:44 [addison_]
... work more closely with unicode??
15:40:00 [addison_]
... post to their mailing lists, maybe in return to cross posting to ours?
15:40:11 [addison_]
... post digest to unicode list?
15:40:19 [addison_]
... casting about for ideas
15:42:42 [addison_]
action: addison: talk to unicode folks about ways to cross-pollinate between our groups
15:42:50 [trackbot]
Error creating an ACTION: could not connect to Tracker. Please mail <sysreq@w3.org> with details about what happened.
15:44:36 [addison_]
richard: other ideas on ways to develop expert base?
15:44:48 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html addison_
15:44:53 [r12a]
action: addison to talk to unicode folks about ways to cross-pollinate between our groups
15:44:55 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-667 - Talk to unicode folks about ways to cross-pollinate between our groups [on Addison Phillips - due 2017-10-19].
15:45:34 [addison_]
agenda?
15:46:11 [addison_]
richard: fuqiao, do you think we might get more interest in china?
15:46:16 [addison_]
xfq: matrix work?
15:46:28 [addison_]
richard: many questions related to chinese
15:46:49 [addison_]
... great if we had more folks on ruby and text decoration and such
15:46:55 [addison_]
... possibilities in china?
15:47:14 [addison_]
xfq: not quite familiar, discussed with angel
15:47:21 [addison_]
... reached out to stakeholders
15:47:28 [addison_]
... and national stds bodies
15:47:38 [addison_]
... some interest, but mostly very busy
15:47:52 [addison_]
interest, not commitment
15:48:03 [addison_]
richard: prepared to join a mailing list or something
15:48:12 [addison_]
... just for ad hoc opinions
15:48:17 [addison_]
... nothing structured
15:48:26 [addison_]
... just answering questions offhand
15:48:53 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html addison_
15:49:39 [addison_]
bert: must be folks in universities studying language
15:49:49 [addison_]
... they might have time if we knew how to contact them
15:50:09 [addison_]
... other idea is if we want to get answers, make into a game or make attractive
15:50:26 [addison_]
... even virtual points
15:51:06 [addison_]
richard: send more tweets, I follow lots of folks who talk about typography e.g.
15:51:16 [addison_]
bert: question of the month
15:51:51 [addison_]
richard: capturing those folks somehow, not just random?
15:52:32 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html addison_
15:53:21 [addison_]
richard: think more, send suggestions
15:55:10 [addison_]
addison: somewhere to capture ideas?
15:55:17 [addison_]
richard: wiki in our repo?
15:55:46 [addison_]
action: richard to set up wiki in our repo to capture ideas for engaging folks with our questions
15:55:47 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-668 - Set up wiki in our repo to capture ideas for engaging folks with our questions [on Richard Ishida - due 2017-10-19].
15:56:02 [addison_]
addison: will have in agenda next week
15:56:11 [addison_]
Topic: AOB?
15:56:20 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html addison_
15:56:56 [addison_]
zakim, who is here?
15:56:56 [Zakim]
Present: Bert
15:56:58 [Zakim]
On IRC I see addison_, Zakim, RRSAgent, r12a, bigbluehat, xfq, koji, Bert, trackbot
15:57:01 [addison_]
present+ Richard
15:57:07 [addison_]
present+ Fuqiao
15:57:10 [addison_]
present+ Steve
15:57:18 [addison_]
present+ Addison
15:57:44 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html addison_
16:08:00 [addison_]
zakim, bye
16:08:00 [Zakim]
leaving. As of this point the attendees have been Bert, Richard, Fuqiao, Steve, Addison
16:08:00 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #i18n