IRC log of silver on 2017-09-08

Timestamps are in UTC.

13:27:53 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #silver
13:27:53 [RRSAgent]
logging to
13:27:55 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
13:27:58 [trackbot]
Meeting: Silver Task Force Teleconference
13:27:58 [trackbot]
Date: 08 September 2017
13:28:15 [jeanne]
chair: jeanne
13:28:22 [jeanne]
regrets+ Shawn
13:28:30 [jeanne]
agenda+ Silver Surveys Strategy update
13:28:30 [jeanne]
agenda+ Interviews Proposal
13:28:30 [jeanne]
agenda+ Open action items review
13:28:40 [jeanne]
zakim, clear agenda
13:28:40 [Zakim]
agenda cleared
13:28:45 [jeanne]
13:28:48 [jeanne]
agenda+ Silver Surveys Strategy update
13:28:48 [jeanne]
agenda+ Interviews Proposal
13:28:48 [jeanne]
agenda+ Open action items review
13:32:53 [sloandr]
sloandr has joined #silver
13:36:46 [SarahHorton]
SarahHorton has joined #silver
13:37:18 [SarahHorton]
trackbot, start meeting
13:37:21 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
13:37:24 [trackbot]
Meeting: Silver Task Force Teleconference
13:37:24 [trackbot]
Date: 08 September 2017
13:37:33 [SarahHorton]
zakim, clear agenda
13:37:33 [Zakim]
agenda cleared
13:37:35 [jeanne]
13:37:45 [SarahHorton]
agenda+ Silver Surveys Strategy update
13:37:52 [SarahHorton]
agenda+ Interviews Proposal
13:38:00 [SarahHorton]
agenda+ Open action items review
13:38:10 [SarahHorton]
zakim, take up item 1
13:38:11 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Silver Surveys Strategy update" taken up [from SarahHorton]
13:38:42 [SarahHorton]
present+ Jeanne, Sarah, Dave, Jan
13:38:48 [Jan]
Jan has joined #silver
13:39:00 [Jan]
present+ JanMcSorley
13:41:08 [SarahHorton]
Groups reviews conformance model interview structure
13:41:35 [SarahHorton]
Dave: Refine this approach, use for other interviews
13:43:28 [SarahHorton]
s/interview structure/survey structure
13:43:44 [SarahHorton]
s/other interviews/other surveys
13:47:21 [SarahHorton]
Jan: Will we have targeted surveys to specific roles?
13:47:50 [SarahHorton]
Dave: Hope this will emerge as we work through questions
13:48:08 [SarahHorton]
Dave: Document available for revision and editing offline
13:49:51 [SarahHorton]
present+ Jennison
13:50:09 [SarahHorton]
present+ Jemma
13:50:54 [jemma]
jemma has joined #silver
13:54:21 [SarahHorton]
Jemma: We need to clarify what we mean when we talk about conformance
13:54:40 [SarahHorton]
Jeanne: A, AA, AAA — all or nothing conformance
13:55:01 [SarahHorton]
Jeanne: It's the structure that's set up to say whether or not people pass
13:55:18 [SarahHorton]
Jeanne: Need to conform or be N/A
13:56:35 [SarahHorton]
Jeanne: Part of reason WCAG accepted around the world, clear and flexible
13:59:38 [SarahHorton]
Dave: Questions can include "I don't know what this means" option
14:01:34 [jemma]
present+ JaeunJemmaKu
14:01:48 [SarahHorton]
Jeanne: Want to understand impact of conformance model
14:04:24 [SarahHorton]
Jeanne: We now have option of not having conformance model
14:05:02 [SarahHorton]
Dave: Need to make sure we focus on exploratory research
14:06:47 [SarahHorton]
Jennison: Will we have a scale in asking "how effective" questions
14:07:39 [SarahHorton]
Jennison: Effective, meets needs?
14:10:35 [SarahHorton]
Dave: Conformance model versus guidelines, need to make sure people respond about the conformance model
14:12:31 [SarahHorton]
Jeanne: Could ask specific questions related to A, AA, AAA rather than "conformance model"
14:15:07 [SarahHorton]
Jeanne: May need to leave some open ended
14:16:11 [SarahHorton]
Jeanne: Things technologically difficulty in 2008, things that were not readily testable, went into AAA
14:17:32 [SarahHorton]
Dave: Need to learn more about SCs at AAA
14:18:07 [SarahHorton]
Dave: What's best way for digital resource providers to declare conformance
14:18:52 [SarahHorton]
Jemma: Likes suggestion of referencing A, AA, AA rather than conformance model
14:22:08 [SarahHorton]
Sarah: How do we deal with scope and time?
14:22:33 [SarahHorton]
Jennison: Big challenge with multiple releases in a day
14:23:43 [SarahHorton]
Jennison: Will these be surveys or interviews?
14:24:15 [SarahHorton]
Dave: Surveys initially, but if some questions are too difficult can designate for interviews
14:24:38 [SarahHorton]
Jennison: Thinking about analysis and results
14:25:51 [SarahHorton]
Dave: With each question, think about type of response and whether we can produce something meaningful
14:26:23 [SarahHorton]
Dave: Exploratory survey, data is more difficult to analyze
14:27:30 [SarahHorton]
Jennison: Are these surveys this group will adminster?
14:27:39 [SarahHorton]
Jeanne: These are ones we are going to do
14:28:07 [SarahHorton]
Dave: Prioritized research questions, identified questions that would work with surveys
14:28:21 [SarahHorton]
Dave: Still have to be reasonable with available time
14:28:52 [SarahHorton]
Dave: Creating process to take research question into sub-questions
14:29:11 [SarahHorton]
Jemma: Do we have schedule/timeframe?
14:29:55 [SarahHorton]
Jeanne: Doing prototype work in March
14:30:07 [SarahHorton]
Jeanne: Research written up in February
14:30:14 [SarahHorton]
Jeanne: Research done in November
14:31:11 [SarahHorton]
Jemma: What is activity at TPAC in November?
14:31:34 [SarahHorton]
Jennison: Opportunity to ask research questions, that time is open to how we want to use it
14:32:27 [SarahHorton]
Dave: Questions are ready to be asked in any forum
14:32:50 [SarahHorton]
Jennison: Should put TPAC meeting on agenda for future meeting
14:33:21 [SarahHorton]
Jennison: What do need to know for prototyping exercise at CSUN
14:34:10 [SarahHorton]
Jennison: Can we push of reseach questions that we don't need to prototyping
14:34:31 [SarahHorton]
14:36:44 [SarahHorton]
Sarah: Can we figure out what questions we need to answer to use for prototyping exercise
14:37:45 [SarahHorton]
Sarah: Pull together everything we have for the prototype exercise
14:37:56 [SarahHorton]
Jeanne: Add to agenda next Friday
14:38:43 [SarahHorton]
Dave: Good to think about priorities for prototyping exercise
14:38:55 [SarahHorton]
Dave: Will help us focus time
14:42:46 [SarahHorton]
Sarah: Even a few perspectives will be helpful to provide context
14:43:07 [SarahHorton]
Sarah: Listening lab approach works, themes surface
14:43:29 [SarahHorton]
Jennison: Bay area meeting could be a good context for listening session
14:43:54 [SarahHorton]
Jennison: With CSUN session fall before or after conference?
14:44:12 [SarahHorton]
14:45:14 [SarahHorton]
Jennison: Need to publicize so people can make travel plans
14:46:22 [SarahHorton]
Jan: Klaus wants to do special edition of journal, might be opportunity to get research published
14:47:31 [SarahHorton]
Jan: CSUN scientific journal to help support Silver taskforce
14:48:15 [SarahHorton]
Jan: Doesn't have timeline, have not met yet
14:48:49 [jemma]
14:48:55 [SarahHorton]
Jan: This would be a special edition
14:50:21 [SarahHorton]
Dave: Add more comments and suggestions to conformance model questions
14:50:47 [SarahHorton]
Dave: Have translators ready to go
14:52:08 [jemma]
rrsagent, make minutes
14:52:08 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate jemma
14:52:29 [jemma]
rrsgaent, make log public