IRC log of rqtf on 2017-04-26

Timestamps are in UTC.

12:54:36 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #rqtf
12:54:36 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2017/04/26-rqtf-irc
12:54:38 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
12:54:38 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #rqtf
12:54:40 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be
12:54:40 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'this will be', trackbot
12:54:41 [trackbot]
Meeting: Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference
12:54:41 [trackbot]
Date: 26 April 2017
12:55:00 [jasonjgw]
agenda+ Authentication: refining and discussing research questions.
12:55:16 [jasonjgw]
agenda+ Other (including additional) research topics.
12:55:31 [jasonjgw]
agenda+ CAPTCHA: update and discussion
12:59:28 [scott_h]
scott_h has joined #rqtf
13:01:13 [sloandr]
sloandr has joined #rqtf
13:04:44 [janina]
present+
13:04:54 [janina]
zakim, who's here?
13:04:54 [Zakim]
Present: janina
13:04:56 [Zakim]
On IRC I see sloandr, scott_h, Zakim, RRSAgent, shadi, jasonjgw, janina, trackbot
13:05:29 [sloandr]
present+
13:05:30 [jasonjgw]
present+ jasonjgw
13:05:35 [scott_h]
present+
13:06:57 [shadi]
present+
13:07:01 [sloandr]
zakim, next item
13:07:01 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Authentication: refining and discussing research questions." taken up [from jasonjgw]
13:08:11 [sloandr]
Current Authentication reference list, which has been slightly reorganised, is available at: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/research-questions/wiki/Authentication_references
13:09:05 [janina]
ds: Have linked references to content for us
13:09:19 [sloandr]
Authentication issue list: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/research-questions/wiki/Authentication_on_the_Web:_Issue_List
13:10:42 [sloandr]
Authentication continues to be a focus of discussion by WCAG WG, who are considering requirements for authentication methods as part of WCAG.
13:11:38 [janina]
q+
13:11:55 [sloandr]
jasonjgw: Authentication methods that place demands on cognitive, physical or sensory capabilities have clear accessibility implications
13:12:35 [janina]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2017Apr/0008.html
13:12:56 [sloandr]
janina: read that Microsoft are deprecating passwords, see link just posted
13:14:35 [sloandr]
janina: another significant approach is that users may be asked to record questions and answers they would be able to recall, which may be used for future authentication requests. This may also have implications on people with cognitive disabilities; refer to work of COGA WG for more detail.
13:15:43 [sloandr]
jasonjgw: recall involves not just the answer but also the format in which it was initially expressed (e.g. spelling, use of capitals, punctuation marks)
13:16:49 [sloandr]
scott_h: Windows 10 focusing on new authentication methods, away from passwords
13:16:50 [jasonjgw]
q?
13:16:59 [janina]
ack ja
13:19:33 [janina]
scribe: janina
13:20:00 [janina]
ds: Some of work is to distinguish accessibility from economic requirements--cost of device
13:21:04 [janina]
ds: Also, there are issues with the questions about yourself--i.e. name of pet if you've never had a pet
13:21:20 [janina]
jgw: These questions could be cultural specific
13:21:36 [janina]
ds: So, we need to disambiguate a11y from other usability/economic issues
13:22:08 [janina]
sa: A note to show we do think this is relevant, that economic considerations are often steeper for pwds
13:22:57 [sloandr]
jasonjgw: we have US and EU accessibility standards that reference biometric authentication; we need to reference these
13:24:26 [sloandr]
jasonjgw: hardware devices with a visual display, which generate a time-limited token as part of an authentication process, are also a challenge
13:25:48 [sloandr]
scott_h: what would be the main deliverable for our authentication work?
13:26:04 [sloandr]
jasonjgw: partly for us to decide, and partly what APA WG needs
13:26:56 [sloandr]
janina: APA view is from an accessibility perspective that we need something better than passwords, but that we need to influence alternatives so that accessibility is given due consideration.
13:27:59 [sloandr]
janina: example of success is that requirement that one biometric indicator is insufficient for accessible authentication is now in US and EU accessibility standards
13:30:14 [sloandr]
janina: discussions at TPAC 2016 raised some good questions, need to have follow-up at this year's TPAC—more detailed and scribed discussion with Authentication WG.
13:31:12 [sloandr]
scott_h: original CAPTCHA note was helpful in framing revised and updated note; would be useful to have a similar framework to guide an Authentication note from RQTF, to help focus our efforts.
13:32:31 [sloandr]
janina: we could approach APA and Authentication WG with request for guidance on structure and focus of an authentication deliverable
13:32:52 [janina]
http://www.w3.org/Security/
13:33:36 [sloandr]
jasonjgw: suggest we first focus reading on developing understanding key topics we are already aware of
13:34:07 [janina]
http://www.w3.org/2015/12/web-authentication-charter.html
13:39:24 [sloandr]
janina: encourages RQTF members to glance through current W3C specs relating to web authentication would help us become familiar with key areas of discussion
13:39:44 [sloandr]
zakim, next item
13:39:44 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "Other (including additional) research topics." taken up [from jasonjgw]
13:40:50 [sloandr]
janina: COGA TF is publishing their gap analysis and roadmap document, plus supporting references. There's also a joint document between COGA and ARIA focusing on personalization; RQTF members encouraged to review this document
13:41:49 [sloandr]
janina: APA have a wider concern regarding personalization, and how to do as much as possible with as least amount of tech as possible. There will be a call soon on this topic; RQTF members encouraged to attend
13:42:20 [sloandr]
janina: COGA TF also meeting with the Low Vision TF from WCAG about personalization, and how it relates to WCAG
13:43:18 [sloandr]
janina: thorough exploration of research into personalization and accessibility is needed, and RQTF can contribute
13:43:40 [jasonjgw]
q?
13:45:05 [sloandr]
sloandr: challenge for RQTF to understand how best we can contribute, given so many interests and potentially different priorities for answers
13:45:50 [sloandr]
jasonjgw: confident we will have research questions to answer, but not yet clear on what they are
13:46:55 [sloandr]
jasonjgw: there's a personalization implementation problem that needs to be addressed
13:50:48 [sloandr]
zakim, next item
13:50:48 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "CAPTCHA: update and discussion" taken up [from jasonjgw]
13:51:41 [sloandr]
jasonjgw: has developed working draft, incorporated contribution from scott_h
13:52:35 [sloandr]
Current draft: http://w3c.github.io/rqtf/captcha-notes.html
13:53:39 [janina]
ds: References in two categories, identified specific a11y, and also more general references
13:54:01 [janina]
ds: We need to ascertain we've covered all the significant refs
13:54:34 [janina]
ds: Also a link to WCAG ...
13:54:41 [sloandr]
https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Captcha_Alternatives_and_thoughts
14:00:05 [sloandr]
Note: current draft linked in the minutes is not in fact the latest version, so jasonjgw will share the latest version with the RQTF email list.
14:00:18 [sloandr]
zakim, bye
14:00:18 [Zakim]
leaving. As of this point the attendees have been janina, sloandr, jasonjgw, scott_h, shadi
14:00:18 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #rqtf
14:00:30 [sloandr]
rrsagent, make minutes
14:00:30 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/04/26-rqtf-minutes.html sloandr