IRC log of i18n on 2017-03-30

Timestamps are in UTC.

15:01:40 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #i18n
15:01:40 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-irc
15:01:43 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #i18n
15:01:49 [addison]
trackbot, prepare teleconference
15:01:52 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
15:01:55 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 4186
15:01:55 [trackbot]
Meeting: Internationalization Working Group Teleconference
15:01:55 [trackbot]
Date: 30 March 2017
15:01:55 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot
15:02:11 [addison]
Chair: Addison Phillips
15:02:16 [addison]
ScribeNick: addison
15:02:23 [addison]
Regrets: Felix, Steven
15:02:43 [addison]
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017Mar/0035.html
15:02:47 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-minutes.html addison
15:04:56 [r12a]
present+
15:05:42 [najib]
najib has joined #i18n
15:05:50 [addison]
present+
15:06:56 [fantasai]
present+
15:07:15 [addison]
present+ fantasai
15:08:06 [addison]
Topic: Agenda
15:09:18 [addison]
Topic: Action Items
15:09:36 [addison]
https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open
15:10:38 [addison]
action-596?
15:10:38 [trackbot]
action-596 -- Addison Phillips to Adjust the agenda to reflect use of uk time for meeting and update links to dateandtime -- due 2017-03-16 -- OPEN
15:10:38 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/596
15:10:42 [addison]
close action-596
15:10:42 [trackbot]
Closed action-596.
15:11:28 [addison]
action-600?
15:11:29 [trackbot]
action-600 -- Addison Phillips to Prepare and submit encoding refresh -- due 2017-03-16 -- OPEN
15:11:29 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/600
15:11:48 [addison]
action-604?
15:11:48 [trackbot]
action-604 -- Richard Ishida to Move the encoding tracking table to github so addison can update it -- due 2017-03-30 -- OPEN
15:11:48 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/604
15:11:51 [addison]
close action-604
15:11:51 [trackbot]
Closed action-604.
15:12:04 [addison]
action-605?
15:12:04 [trackbot]
action-605 -- Richard Ishida to Checks status of svg2 comments -- due 2017-03-30 -- OPEN
15:12:04 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/605
15:12:14 [addison]
richard: all still open
15:12:20 [addison]
... svg work seems on hiatus
15:12:42 [addison]
close action-605
15:12:43 [trackbot]
Closed action-605.
15:12:54 [addison]
action-606?
15:12:54 [trackbot]
action-606 -- Richard Ishida to Tell travis to go ahead removing bidi controls text from html5 and whatwg -- due 2017-03-30 -- OPEN
15:12:54 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/606
15:12:59 [addison]
close action-606
15:12:59 [trackbot]
Closed action-606.
15:13:23 [addison]
Topic: Info Share
15:13:30 [r12a]
https://www.w3.org/International/tests/#css3-text-decor
15:13:38 [addison]
richard: now have two sets of tests for test decoration
15:13:44 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-minutes.html addison
15:13:52 [addison]
richard: a couple need some word tweaking
15:14:13 [addison]
... line below "a bit lower" hard to test
15:14:20 [addison]
... tests now there focused on i18n stuff
15:14:27 [addison]
... a few exploratory tests
15:14:39 [addison]
... note in spec says JP different from ZH
15:14:54 [addison]
... put some exploratory for what I think should happen to mongolian
15:15:02 [addison]
... writing tests takes time
15:15:11 [addison]
... figure out how to write more efficiently
15:15:29 [addison]
... took time to create a system to generate tests
15:15:36 [addison]
... first fruit of that effort
15:15:42 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. I don't understand 'draft minyutes', addison. Try /msg RRSAgent help
15:15:48 [addison]
rrsagent, draft minutes
15:15:48 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-minutes.html addison
15:16:01 [addison]
richard: assertions still use same text as tests, etc.
15:16:19 [addison]
fantasai: just switched to using web tests
15:16:38 [addison]
richard: contribute our tests to platform
15:16:48 [fantasai]
s/web tests/WPT repo/
15:17:14 [addison]
... this is a mechanism for how I create the files
15:17:33 [addison]
fantasai: as far as assertion and instructions
15:17:36 [addison]
... usually quite different
15:17:51 [addison]
... text decoration sometimes have identical text for both
15:18:04 [addison]
... pass condition can be more abstract, not useful assertion
15:18:24 [addison]
richard stuck in properties and values automatically
15:18:35 [addison]
... instructions are "test passes if"
15:18:51 [addison]
... and then may add something like "this is what happense for e.g. Japanese chars"
15:18:57 [addison]
... not perfect but okay maybe?
15:19:12 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-minutes.html addison
15:20:06 [fantasai]
CSSWG is meeting in Tokyo mid-April :)
15:20:49 [addison]
Topic: Radar
15:20:53 [addison]
https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1
15:21:08 [najib_]
najib_ has joined #i18n
15:23:51 [addison]
TOpic: HTML WG wants to close issue 470
15:23:56 [najib]
najib has left #i18n
15:23:58 [najib]
najib has joined #i18n
15:24:00 [addison]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017Mar/0039.html
15:24:14 [addison]
https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/164
15:24:41 [addison]
okay by me
15:26:08 [najib]
najib has left #i18n
15:26:12 [najib]
najib has joined #i18n
15:27:36 [addison]
Topic: String in WHATWG
15:30:25 [addison]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2017JanMar/0059.html
15:34:27 [addison]
https://infra.spec.whatwg.org/#primitive-data-types
15:35:55 [addison]
Topic: Content Model for Ruby Markup?
15:36:27 [addison]
richard: make a work item?
15:37:25 [addison]
... ttml is defining how ruby should work in their spec
15:37:33 [addison]
... only slightly differently than others
15:37:42 [addison]
... not the syntax, but the objects and how they relate
15:37:50 [addison]
... we have a content model in ruby annotation spec
15:37:55 [addison]
... have one in html
15:38:09 [addison]
... and css ruby spec, which expects some stuff like tabular layout
15:38:17 [addison]
... same ?? with ITS and webvtt
15:38:33 [addison]
... would be nice to produce a document that says what elements you need and relationship?
15:38:51 [addison]
addison: new version of ruby annotation spec??
15:38:55 [addison]
richard: not sure
15:39:20 [addison]
fantasai: happy to review
15:41:07 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-minutes.html addison
15:41:26 [addison]
Topic: Can we publish Approaches to full justification
15:42:01 [najib]
Yes
15:42:02 [r12a]
https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/articles/typography/justification.en
15:42:05 [addison]
richard: publish as an article
15:43:07 [najib]
q+
15:43:12 [addison]
... no objections?
15:43:15 [addison]
ack najib
15:43:30 [addison]
present+ Najib
15:43:43 [addison]
najib: put a comment about tatweel
15:43:54 [addison]
... it gives a better result
15:44:00 [addison]
... gave some explanation
15:44:12 [addison]
... tatweel is only possible for simple fonts
15:44:19 [addison]
... not really an implementation of kashida
15:44:45 [addison]
addison: changes required?
15:44:59 [addison]
najib: no, just confirming what richard wrote
15:46:02 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-minutes.html addison
15:46:09 [addison]
najib: mentioned this in ALReq
15:46:38 [addison]
action: richard: publish Approaches to Full Justification as an article
15:46:43 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-607 - Publish approaches to full justification as an article [on Richard Ishida - due 2017-04-06].
15:47:08 [addison]
Topic: Support for bidi in strings
15:47:30 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-minutes.html addison
15:47:49 [najib]
https://w3c.github.io/i18n-discuss/notes/json-bidi
15:48:12 [r12a]
http://w3c.github.io/i18n-discuss/notes/string-base-direction.html
15:55:39 [najib]
q+
15:56:53 [r12a]
add "we're seeing problems with this in more and more specs"
16:00:38 [najib]
q-
16:01:40 [r12a]
add point that you should have to use metadata always, only if first strong works
16:01:58 [addison]
action: addison: send richard comments on string-base-direction document
16:01:58 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-608 - Send richard comments on string-base-direction document [on Addison Phillips - due 2017-04-06].
16:01:58 [r12a]
s/should have to/should not have to/
16:02:24 [addison]
Topic: AOB?
16:03:00 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-minutes.html addison
16:03:52 [najib]
najib has left #i18n
16:04:46 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-minutes.html addison
16:20:50 [r12a]
s/only if first strong works/only if first strong doesn't work/
16:21:02 [r12a]
rrsagent, draft minutes
16:21:02 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-minutes.html r12a
16:52:12 [addison]
zakim, bye
16:52:12 [Zakim]
leaving. As of this point the attendees have been r12a, addison, fantasai, Najib
16:52:12 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #i18n
16:52:23 [r12a]
rrsagent, bye
16:52:23 [RRSAgent]
I see 2 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-actions.rdf :
16:52:23 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: richard: publish Approaches to Full Justification as an article [1]
16:52:23 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-irc#T15-46-38
16:52:23 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: send richard comments on string-base-direction document [2]
16:52:23 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-irc#T16-01-58