Cognitive Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

06 Mar 2017

See also: IRC log


Lisa, Jim_S, Pietro, JohnRochford, MaryJoMueller


<Lisa_Seeman> trackbot, start meeting

<Lisa_Seeman> agenda: this

<Lisa_Seeman> .agenda+ focus for this week

<Lisa_Seeman> ...https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ACOGApull requests: https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ACOGA

<Lisa_Seeman> scribe: Mike_Pluke

CSUN Update: presentations went well

Lisa's presentation (withIBM) showed how checkpoints can be made easily

<Lisa_Seeman> Marisa DeMeglio

Code Repo and Codesprint attended. Marissa DeMeglio made a code injection (thing) that only needs one page of mappings for a whole site

Jamie and Lisa put semantics into BBC.com homepage

Allows a URI for a template to be added - and they will play around with this going forward

Jamie found it "the coolest thing ever"

Microsoft people might put someone into Task Force. They have powerful language proofing tools into new Office updates - very compatible with plain language.

Is available as an API as well as integrated into Office software

Lisa got to talk to proofing and cloud people from Microsoft. Interested to cognitive-friendly development environment for cloud developers?

<Thaddeus> +present Thaddeus

<JohnRochford> Lisa, nobody can hear you.

<JohnRochford> Lisa, nobody can hear you.


Microsoft want to continue working on refining their language simplification algorithms

updates and next steps

<maryjom> https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/

<JohnRochford> https://rawgit.com/w3c/wcag21/FPWD_review/guidelines/index.html

<maryjom> Comments are requested by 31 March 2017.

Comment review window is the end of this month (but flexible on later comments)

Lisa discussing getting disability groups/experts to comment on what is right/wrong with the COGA aspects of WCAG 2.1

<Thaddeus> Autism Speaks

<Thaddeus> but I dont have a contact there

<Jan> I have a contact at the Learning Disabilities Association in the United States

I have a contact who has developed software related to support for people with autism.

Ask reviewers to comment on what is there and say what is missing

<Jim_S> I work with some dementia groups - I could contact their web developers to get round the COGA issues in using the material

<JohnRochford> Mike is such a diplomat.

<Jan> I think we need to consider reaching out to other disability organizations with respect to personalization.

<Thaddeus> I can make an announcement at the Bay Area Accessibility Meetup Group

<Jan> +1 to Google Document

Lisa will do a Google doc that lists who we have contacted

<Lisa_Seeman> ACTION: lisa to add google doc to aprouch people [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/03/06-coga-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-201 - Add google doc to aprouch people [on Lisa Seeman-Kestenbaum - due 2017-03-13].

Propose a way that what we ask them and how we want people to respond

Lisa will add into the Google doc a draft of some guidance that we can give reviewers e.g. where to find a list of new SC and which of these were COGA-specific

Where we go to from here. Whether to develop new Issue Papers and work on emotional issues?

Lisa suggests the idea of working on 2 (or max 3) SCs per week in the call

<Jim_S> +1 to looking at a couple of SC a week

<kirkwood> +1


<Jim_S> +1 to team discussion

<Lisa_Seeman> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/status.html

Lisa suggests looking at "Clear controls" and "Authentication"

<Lisa_Seeman> suggets we focuss this week on clear controls and authentification

<Jan> +1 to authentication as a high priority

<Jim_S> Should we run the SC through this working group before sending it out to the list?

Lisa suggest doing a Doodle poll for suitable times for co-ordination calls on the selected SCs

Michael has suggested waiting until the issue is addressed at the working group level - will be an issue in this week's meeting

<Jim_S> Sorry I meant COGA taskforce first

Michael suggests that official working group teleconference is the better way to do things rather than additional COGA calls. it will get more attention from busy people.

Amazon might be interested in joining in on the Bots Issue Paper (someone from the Alexa team)

John suggests LV Task Force may be interested in the (Alexa-like) Bots

Issues such as non-voice alternative for voice operated bots should be in any related SCs

Also ask people involved in developing assistive technologies to review the draft

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: lisa to add google doc to aprouch people [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/03/06-coga-minutes.html#action01]

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/03/06 18:02:08 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Present: Lisa Jim_S Pietro JohnRochford MaryJoMueller
Found Scribe: Mike_Pluke
Inferring ScribeNick: Mike_Pluke

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 06 Mar 2017
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2017/03/06-coga-minutes.html
People with action items: lisa

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]