IRC log of apa on 2017-02-22

Timestamps are in UTC.

16:42:00 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #apa
16:42:00 [RRSAgent]
logging to
16:42:02 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
16:42:02 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #apa
16:42:04 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be
16:42:05 [trackbot]
Meeting: Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference
16:42:05 [trackbot]
Date: 22 February 2017
16:42:06 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'this will be', trackbot
16:42:10 [janina]
16:42:14 [janina]
agenda+ preview agenda with items from two minutes
16:42:14 [janina]
agenda+ APA at CSUN
16:42:14 [janina]
agenda+ APA Task Forces
16:42:14 [janina]
agenda+ Actions Checkin (Specs)
16:42:15 [janina]
agenda+ new on TR
16:42:17 [janina]
agenda+ Other Business
16:42:19 [janina]
agenda+ next and future meetings
16:42:22 [janina]
agenda+ be done
16:51:20 [janina]
present+ Janina
16:51:24 [janina]
Chair: Janina
17:01:08 [MichielBijl]
17:02:08 [joanie]
present+ Joanmarie_Diggs
17:05:17 [janina]
Regrets: John, Leonie
17:05:56 [tdrake]
tdrake has joined #apa
17:06:19 [tdrake]
present+ tdrake
17:06:39 [MichaelC]
17:08:52 [MichielBijl]
scribe: MichielBijl
17:09:00 [MichielBijl]
zakim, next item
17:09:00 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "preview agenda with items from two minutes" taken up [from janina]
17:09:42 [MichielBijl]
JS: Anything to add to the agenda?
17:09:56 [MichielBijl]
MC: Talk about community group strategy?
17:10:22 [MichielBijl]
MB: Anything about the CSS TF?
17:10:43 [MichielBijl]
JS: We can have an agendum for that
17:11:05 [MichielBijl]
We’ll discuss it
17:11:21 [MichielBijl]
zakim, take up next item
17:11:21 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "APA at CSUN" taken up [from janina]
17:11:48 [MichielBijl]
JS: Think it’s only Michael and Ted there (of those on the call)?
17:11:55 [MichielBijl]
JS: Sorry I won’t be there this year
17:12:02 [MichielBijl]
Maybe we’ll meet around TPAC
17:12:15 [MichielBijl]
zakim, take up next item
17:12:15 [Zakim]
agendum 2 was just opened, MichielBijl
17:12:20 [MichielBijl]
zakim, close item 2
17:12:20 [Zakim]
agendum 2, APA at CSUN, closed
17:12:21 [Zakim]
I see 6 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
17:12:21 [Zakim]
3. APA Task Forces [from janina]
17:12:22 [MichielBijl]
zakim, take up next item
17:12:22 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "APA Task Forces" taken up [from janina]
17:13:03 [MichielBijl]
JS: Thank you Michael for forwarding email from Rossen
17:13:27 [MichielBijl]
Given we have TFs with specific expertise
17:13:37 [MichielBijl]
Would it be helpful, because we still look at all specs
17:13:59 [MichielBijl]
That who within CSS has the required expertise to take those up?
17:14:11 [MichielBijl]
TD: I think that sounds good
17:14:17 [MichielBijl]
I did have this busy streak
17:14:53 [MichielBijl]
If you know someone who is really good at Grid Layout out versus someone that is good at Animations, that would be very helpful
17:15:00 [MichielBijl]
Can we track this somewhere?
17:15:08 [MichielBijl]
MC: We’ve talked about it
17:15:18 [MichielBijl]
Janina and I from time to time at least
17:15:29 [MichielBijl]
Don’t have a doc at the moment
17:15:48 [MichielBijl]
TD: Could have a spreadsheet or something like that where people can fill in their own expertise
17:16:00 [MichielBijl]
MC: We have something like that, but there are a lot of gaps
17:16:04 [MichielBijl]
Let me dig it up
17:16:46 [MichielBijl]
TD: Doing some research on how teams do data matrix
17:17:07 [MichielBijl]
See a lot of people depend on spreadsheets
17:17:27 [MichaelC]
-> Accessibility Coordination Matrix
17:20:26 [MichielBijl]
JS: Hope to talk to Lisa and ?? about coga
17:20:56 [MichielBijl]
Negotiating that they deliver it to use in a way that we can update our documents
17:21:18 [MichielBijl]
We need a gap analysis that is worthy of publication
17:21:42 [MichielBijl]
I think Michael and I believe that it can stand a bit more editorial work
17:23:37 [MichielBijl]
JS: APIs should be doing more then what they’re doing right now
17:23:43 [MichielBijl]
It’s a first public working draft
17:23:52 [MichielBijl]
On the other hand it may be a definitional problem
17:24:00 [MichielBijl]
She’s asking for the 25 most important features
17:24:15 [MichielBijl]
Any time you mention a number it’s arbitrary
17:25:34 [MichielBijl]
MC: There might be a literal confusion about what should go into an API opposed to what should go into a SC
17:26:03 [MichielBijl]
JS: They’re our TFs, so we should have some oversight.
17:26:10 [MichielBijl]
And make sure we get work done
17:26:42 [MichielBijl]
In case of COGA it’s WCAG and us.
17:26:54 [MichielBijl]
Lisa looked at the CFC and the draft
17:27:01 [MichielBijl]
And took the same thinking into writing the API
17:27:27 [MichielBijl]
17:28:51 [MichielBijl]
zakim, take up next item
17:28:51 [Zakim]
agendum 4. "Actions Checkin (Specs)" taken up [from janina]
17:29:05 [MichielBijl]
17:29:05 [trackbot]
action-2113 -- Ted Drake to Review css display module level 3 -- due 2017-02-08 -- OPEN
17:29:05 [trackbot]
17:29:18 [MichielBijl]
TD: Haven’t had time, please extend
17:29:41 [MichaelC]
action-2113 due 2 weeks
17:29:41 [trackbot]
Set action-2113 Review css display module level 3 due date to 2017-03-08.
17:30:12 [MichielBijl]
17:30:12 [trackbot]
action-2070 -- Ted Drake to Pick up the thread with css counter styles level 3 on needing reply to their response to us -- due 2017-01-25 -- OPEN
17:30:12 [trackbot]
17:30:26 [MichaelC]
action-2070 due 2 weeks
17:30:26 [trackbot]
Set action-2070 Pick up the thread with css counter styles level 3 on needing reply to their response to us due date to 2017-03-08.
17:30:39 [MichaelC]
action-2062 due 2 weeks
17:30:39 [trackbot]
Set action-2062 Re-review custom counter styles due date to 2017-03-08.
17:30:42 [MichielBijl]
17:30:42 [trackbot]
action-2062 -- Ted Drake to Re-review custom counter styles -- due 2017-03-08 -- OPEN
17:30:42 [trackbot]
17:31:04 [MichielBijl]
JS: There should be one pending review?
17:32:05 [MichielBijl]
17:32:05 [trackbot]
action-2107 -- Janina Sajka to Review web cryptography api -- due 2017-02-22 -- PENDINGREVIEW
17:32:05 [trackbot]
17:32:36 [MichielBijl]
MC: Close this action and review?
17:32:38 [MichielBijl]
JS: I think so.
17:33:01 [MichielBijl]
We could go digging through the spec
17:33:05 [MichielBijl]
It’s already on TR
17:33:17 [MichielBijl]
MC: Wiki page says we already missed the boat
17:33:37 [MichielBijl]
I closed the action and marked it as completed
17:33:41 [MichielBijl]
zakim, take up next item
17:33:41 [Zakim]
agendum 5. "new on TR" taken up [from janina]
17:33:42 [MichaelC]
-> Indic Layout Requirements
17:33:42 [MichaelC]
-> Requirements for Chinese Text Layout 中文排版需求
17:33:49 [MichielBijl]
MC: There are 4 new publications
17:34:07 [MichaelC]
-> CSS Containment Module Level 1
17:34:20 [MichielBijl]
MC: There has already been a wide review
17:34:33 [MichielBijl]
Yes, it’s a first public working draft
17:34:39 [MichielBijl]
But it’ll go to CR really soon
17:34:43 [Ryladog]
Ryladog has joined #apa
17:35:03 [Ryladog]
Present+ Katie_Haritos-Shea
17:35:39 [MichaelC]
action: ted to manage review of CSS Containment Module Level 1
17:35:39 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-2118 - Manage review of css containment module level 1 [on Ted Drake - due 2017-03-01].
17:35:49 [MichielBijl]
MC: I’m worried about this spec causing issues with zoom
17:35:51 [MichaelC]
17:35:51 [trackbot]
Notes added to action-2118 Manage review of css containment module level 1
17:36:09 [MichaelC]
-> CSS Timing Functions Level 1
17:36:12 [MichielBijl]
MC: We don’t have a timeline, but they said soon™
17:36:28 [MichielBijl]
MC: This one allows authors to transform animations
17:36:36 [MichielBijl]
Might cause stutters or flashes
17:38:20 [MichielBijl]
MB: How so? Looks a lot like transition timing function that’s already in CSS
17:38:35 [MichielBijl]
You can already violate WCAG with the current implementation of animations
17:38:47 [MichielBijl]
MC: Might need a section that says “beware…”
17:39:08 [MichielBijl]
JS: We started to ask for notes like that in specs
17:40:31 [MichielBijl]
.el { animation: flash 1s infinite } @keyframes flash { 0% {background: red;} 100% {background: yellow;} }
17:42:22 [MichielBijl]
MC: If your assertion is true there might be no need for a review
17:42:37 [MichielBijl]
But we might want a note or accessibility section in the animation spec
17:43:16 [MichielBijl]
Recent ReSpec update asks about privacy and security section
17:43:36 [MichielBijl]
Could tap into that and ask Shane to implement such a feature for accessibility sections.
17:44:23 [MichielBijl]
MB: Worth remembering that most of CSS is written on Bikeshed IIRC
17:44:35 [MichielBijl]
MC: Not sure how Bikeshed handles this sort of thing
17:44:47 [MichielBijl]
MB: Not too familiar with it myself, so not sure either
17:44:55 [MichielBijl]
MC: So should we not review this?
17:45:08 [MichielBijl]
JS: Haven’t heard any strong arguments that we should
17:45:23 [MichielBijl]
MC: Should we pursue a note in CSS specs?
17:45:30 [MichielBijl]
zakim, take up next item
17:45:30 [Zakim]
agendum 6. "Other Business" taken up [from janina]
17:45:56 [MichielBijl]
JS: Katie! Judie was pushing you and me to ??
17:46:10 [MichielBijl]
Anything new would have to be looked at
17:46:29 [MichielBijl]
We were taking the approach that we would wait for groups to actually achieve something
17:46:39 [MichielBijl]
Last time we did it we had someone go through the entire list
17:47:17 [MichielBijl]
MC: We used to review CGs routinely
17:47:33 [MichielBijl]
At some point we started to look after a couple of months
17:47:43 [MichielBijl]
And then we sort of forgot about them
17:47:52 [MichielBijl]
There are a few groups that are in long term incubation
17:47:58 [MichielBijl]
We should engage with them
17:48:11 [MichielBijl]
I think we should do more with CGs, but don’t have proposals
17:51:48 [MichielBijl]
JS: Can we come back to this after CSUN?
17:52:02 [MichielBijl]
Want to approach CGs systematically
17:52:32 [MichielBijl]
KS: Could we have a meeting once a month with the CGs chairs?
17:52:42 [MichielBijl]
17:52:57 [MichielBijl]
JS: Yeah, I think we want to avoid doing all the searching
17:53:08 [MichielBijl]
Once a month might be a bit too frequent
17:53:18 [MichielBijl]
KS: Once every two or three months could also work.
17:53:59 [MichielBijl]
I can go back and go through what we had and what is still there
17:53:59 [MichaelC]
-> previous CG tracking
17:54:21 [MichielBijl]
MC: Roughly 15 CGs from a year ago that we wanted to track
17:55:13 [MichielBijl]
KS: Happy to update, as long as we come to the situation where we can get their chairs to agree to come to calls
17:55:26 [MichielBijl]
MC: Might want to offer other ways to communicate as well
17:55:33 [MichielBijl]
JS: We need to think that through
17:55:41 [MichielBijl]
Let’s get back to this after CSUN
17:56:52 [MichielBijl]
zakim, take up next item
17:56:52 [Zakim]
agendum 7. "next and future meetings" taken up [from janina]
17:59:50 [MichielBijl]
JS: We’re concerned about our comments on Web Payments not being incorporated.
18:04:09 [MichielBijl]
RRSAgent, make minutes
18:04:09 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate MichielBijl
18:05:03 [MichielBijl]
RRSAgent, bye
18:05:03 [RRSAgent]
I see 1 open action item saved in :
18:05:03 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: ted to manage review of CSS Containment Module Level 1 [1]
18:05:03 [RRSAgent]
recorded in